Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

And the ties of the day are a pair from Land O' Sky again:
$T2eC16F,!)cE9s4PsOsIBRqWsT4Zi!~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!ogFC-SECPdtBRqWu0)qzQ~~60_57.JPG

Gem Dandy!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Hello gents,

I'm not great on dating ties and would be interested in your input on dates for these. My guess is 1930s for most of them. It was a batch of five ties that I found on EBay(uk) for less than £1 each. They all need a good clean but at that price, who cares?:

1) I wondered if this one might even be 1920s
46 inches long/3 and a half inches wide
tcc1_zps9363e5ff.jpg

it has sign of having been stitched to strengthen it (in the same way that some 1920s ties had the panel sewn onto the back)
tcc2_zpsf4dac3e8.jpg

2 & 3 - I know here has been discussion of the resilient construction patent and how the panels join, but these two have a very long seam joining the panels:
tcc3_zps4b5f409b.jpg

tcc4_zpsf329acb1.jpg

tcc5_zps94a69aeb.jpg

tcc9_zpsf2ad3f15.jpg

tcc10_zpsfa19e388.jpg

(blue is 45 inches & brown is 47)

4 this one is 47 inches long
tcc8_zps3125e5ca.jpg

5 The seam joining the panels on this one is at a very different angle to the two other ties
tcc7_zpsbf19fa0f.jpg

tcc6_zps8ee67295.jpg

51 inches long

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
TT, yes, that first one could be 20s; it looks like the sort of pattern that the 70s copied (badly) and that makes people say 'the 20s looks like the 70s but without polyester' which i disagree with but there's a thread somewhere to that effect.

the others all look like the - difficult to be accurate - late 20 to mid 30s period.

P.S. a couple of my French deadstock ties have that rectangle of stitching that the first tie has.

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Hello gents,

I'm not great on dating ties and would be interested in your input on dates for these. My guess is 1930s for most of them. It was a batch of five ties that I found on EBay(uk) for less than £1 each. They all need a good clean but at that price, who cares?:
T
1) I wondered if this one might even be 1920s
46 inches long/3 and a half inches wide
tcc1_zps9363e5ff.jpg

it has sign of having been stitched to strengthen it (in the same way that some 1920s ties had the panel sewn onto the back)
tcc2_zpsf4dac3e8.jpg

2 & 3 - I know here has been discussion of the resilient construction patent and how the panels join, but these two have a very long seam joining the panels:
tcc3_zps4b5f409b.jpg

tcc4_zpsf329acb1.jpg

tcc5_zps94a69aeb.jpg

tcc9_zpsf2ad3f15.jpg

tcc10_zpsfa19e388.jpg

(blue is 45 inches & brown is 47)

4 this one is 47 inches long
tcc8_zps3125e5ca.jpg

5 The seam joining the panels on this one is at a very different angle to the two other ties
tcc7_zpsbf19fa0f.jpg

tcc6_zps8ee67295.jpg

51 inches long
why didn't I see those TT? loving the first and last ones....a wash should sort them out....is the first one silk? it seems to have been worn to a chimps tea party!

JonnyO

A-List Customer
I usually tie a Windsor with my vintage ties and they come out nice and even. If you tie an overhand knot it can come out crooked looking. What problem are you having?
I often use the oriental knot and it has worked well for me in the past. When tying the knot it would come out very loose and bunched at the top, not a result I've gotten before.

I often use the oriental knot and it has worked well for me in the past. When tying the knot it would come out very loose and bunched at the top, not a result I've gotten before.

I thought the oriental was the four in hand knot. Well, there are a few things you can do to tighten a knot that many people don't do. The four in hand is a small knot int he first place and tightening it down would likely make it even smaller but try it to see if it will tighten it.
When you have the tie tied, make sure to not only pull the long end to tighten it up to your collar. also pull a bit on the other side of the knot to get it tight. Also make sure to pull tightly enough on the facing end to help tighten up the knot. That usually works for me. It is also the reason that many people think a Windsor knot is too large. They just don't tighten it up enough to make it a nice even knot.
For instance, not pulled tight enough:

Pulled tight enough and well positioned:

I'll have to give this a shot, thank you sir!

No problem. I am just a guy who wants everyone to look good in their tie. You can always give the Windsor a try too:

It makes a tie nice and even. Just tie a vintage tie a little longer. The knot is also not as big as the previous picture because vintage ties are thinner than those of today. Then again, I tried to tie a Windsor knot last night with a 70s tie that my son was playing with and the knot was so huge that is was more appropriate for my 4 year old. It sucked up that much length. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats