Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Brilliant ties Dinerman - all very evocative.
Here is one of my very few American ties. Bit of an odd one that I wouldn't mind some info on. It's a Wembley, with all the right shape and length for a 40s/50s tie, but the fabric feels almost like acetate. It's shiny and smooth but very thin and doesn't hold the characteristics of Terylene or Rayon, and not silk either. Any ideas?

Picture of the label and the back - lined in the modern fashion.

Length:

It's also 5" wide at the blade.

Thanks for looking!
Eddie

Brilliant ties Dinerman - all very evocative.
Here is one of my very few American ties. Bit of an odd one that I wouldn't mind some info on. It's a Wembley, with all the right shape and length for a 40s/50s tie, but the fabric feels almost like acetate. It's shiny and smooth but very thin and doesn't hold the characteristics of Terylene or Rayon, and not silk either. Any ideas?

Picture of the label and the back - lined in the modern fashion.

Length:

It's also 5" wide at the blade.

Thanks for looking!
Eddie

1947 to 1951 and it would be rayon by your discription.

$(KGrHqR,!pIE9c2BDUPOBPcm(kUVQw~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqR,!oQE9fskJ8uTBPcm(vONk!~~60_57.JPG

Celanese rayon. lol lol riiiigghhhttt. Makes it sound like imported rayon. :p

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
dh66 - Thanks! It's a little too flash for me really - I'm more for the subdued plaid wool ties myself. I'm considering selling it to fund more preferable tie purchases.
jamespowers - Thanks for the info. Makes sense in the end - I do have some Australian Rayon ties that are a chunkier weave but do have that shimmer that this one has. Nice tie there btw.

Eddie

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
I have a feeling the (or one of) Celanese factories was near us Estaban. When I've been looking through the records of Derbyshire Royal Infirmary there are entries describing subscriptions from the factory workers (I'm talking 1930s). I've got a couple of Celanese ties - they're very nice.

Edit: Just looked on the Record Office website and there is reference to a factory in Spondon.

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here's a couple of recent finds that'll sting your eyes, joking apart they and similar ties are history...maybe a history we'd rather forget but hey still history;
29c2tz4.jpg
izp9aq.jpg

This one a mate called Robert whom I often call Roberto found this for me on a recent work trip to London;
ejet6e.jpg
14tmuro.jpg

168voyp.jpg
24yae8p.jpg

luckily all are clean and haven't been ruined by ironing, the photo's don't do them justice as they shine like silk but don't slip knots easily as silk and they ARE washable, they're all fairly skinny but are I guess 50's? all are under 50" long.
Perhaps we 'need' a thread for Rayon, Trevira ties etc?

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
This one I don't think is any older than the 80's but it's a Liberty so I've included it!
2rr2jj5.jpg
2dbkuqe.jpg

It's a 'fade'tie from scarlet to dark red, it's lined and is all silk, there was an identical one in the charity shop only it was light blue to dark blue sadly it had a fault/pull straight across the blade and too high to be hidden by a waistcoat....the motifs gradually reduce in number as they go up the tie blade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner