Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
OK, got a few that might be interesting. Some I've also posted in the 'Show us your Munrospun' etc. thread.

This is a 'Macclesfield Longscarf' - don't know an awful lot about them other than that they come from Macclesfield, England. I came across this one ages ago, and I know my friend has a couple of these too. Worn as a tie, but does look a little odd without a waistcoat!

These I really love. Two mint condition boxed tie and scarf sets - the sort of thing you might get your Dad for Father's Day. Never been out the box - and I daren't get them out myself! One is 'Trias' and the other 'Linosair' - two of my favourite makes.

A 'Celanese' tie, probably 1930s judging by the length:

This one is unlabelled, but it is an example of my ideal sort of tie - simple pattern, unlined fine wool, with vibrant colours:

Thanks for looking!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Eddie,

There's some good ones there. The 'Celanese' is just about perfect. Love it. And it's good to find the boxed ones. Wear them! Get them out of the packaging!

The 'Macclesfield is interesting. I had a tie in a similar style (now in the possession of HBK) that we estimated to be late teems or early twenties. If you don't wear it becasue it doesn't go with your style, I'd say you'll have trouble finding a home for it.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Thanks TT. I'm also a big fan of that Celanese tie - 20p from a local charity shop! The Macclesfield is a curious one, and I had no idea it could be so old as that! It's a nice one to have in the collection. I miiiiiiiight just wear those scarves and ties, but keep the box and packaging as their home rather than the racks. I'd say that Trias one is unusually patterned for a British tie.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
A few more of interest.

'Caribbean' brand tie - nice and fun, and the only wool and Terylene blend I've come across. It's a very thin material, but feels fine quality. I'm thinking 1960s, but it is only about 48" long so who knows! It'll be perfect for summer.

An odd one, a 'Crystaline' wool and 'Lurex' tie by Linosair. The Lurex is presumably the shiny tape-like thread that makes up the criss-cross plaid on the tie. It sort of sparkles. Has anyone else come across Lurex before?

A silk one, no labels, but I like it mainly for the reverse-side colouring - it's super bright in real life. I would assume it to be 1930s/1940s going on the length and shape.

Now I know Terylene isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I really like Terylene ties, and this one has a cool, almost 'digital camouflage' thing going on. Label isn't clear on the photo, but it's a 'Martus'.

Any info you can give me on the brands is very very welcome!
Thanks!

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Today, I made four neckties. One I made for my Grandpa's birthday (the initials one)! I also made a square bottom one! :)

DSeoW9Z.jpg

FAAtaxE.jpg

9Y3mwh9.jpg

qsbqFNn.jpg

4YgAF5B.jpg

FoOkkML.jpg

PCYCoJr.jpg

You have become the prolific tie designer, Retro Spectator.
Nice lot, keep up the good work! I'll bet granddad was pretty fired up!

Nice batch o'ties Eddie! This one is really snappy. I dig that pattern. The matching set concept is pretty cool --- although I'm thankful I live in a nice warm part of the world where such things are as unnecessary as they are unheard of.:D

Metatron

One Too Many
Lovely ties Eddie.

Retro Spectator, I like the shape of the ties you made, and the colour palette.
One thing that needs work is the definition of your lines, and the symmetry of some of the patterns, for example some repeated shapes should have consistent spacing, and the strokes could be a little more confident. Of course this will come with practice.

Here are a couple of ties I found on ebay recently:

The green/orange one is unlabelled, the striped one is by The National Trust
When I first saw the green/orange fleck one, I immediately thought of this one worn by Christopher Lee in The Wicker Man,

Similar, perhaps even identical.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The Wool & Terylene and the Wool & Lurex mixes are both interesting. I believe Lurex was a popular 1950s man-made fabric and that bit of shine you often see in fifties jackets etc (I'm primarily thinking USA) would probably be the lurex. But others will know much more than me about this.

They are both really nice ties.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Some British ties:

Left by 'Suedona' right by 'Mosley'
11071399_1477039619187659_2778147159475720805_n.jpg

Tootal 'Boys' tie:
10464406_1477039032521051_4350654234166491992_n.jpg

(I don't suppose the horse was originally pink!)

Last edited:

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
dh66 - Thanks! That one is particularly unusual, especially for a British tie.

Metatron - Thanks for the compliments. That tie on the left you have there is exactly like one I have myself - does yours have a fabric content label? I can't seem to work out what mine is made out of. I'll post it at some point to compare!

Two Types - that 'Suedona' is a beauty. Is it silk?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails