Show us your TIES

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Veronica Parra, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

:arated:

2. BootsNBraces

BootsNBraces New in Town

Ok,

I think I may have found a couple of actual vintage ties this time around.

Two silk ties bought for 50p each from a local charity shop. Neither of them are lined or have loops.
    IMG_5179.jpg
    The navy one with what looks like red interwoven drinking straws is 50" long and 3.75" at its widest point.
    IMG_5181.jpg
    It has the following small label on the reverse of the widest end:
    WP_20150517_16_25_05_Pro.jpg

The black one is 50.5" long and 3.5" at its widest point. It features Red Lions rampant on green diamonds. This one features two labels: A "Guaranteed All Pure Silk Made in England" one and a presumed maker's label: Monnery's LTD. 5 Billiter Street. LONDON E.C.3 stitched on the inside of the tail end.
    IMG_5180.jpg

I'm very new to all this and would love the opinion of someone who knows their stuff.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  3. dh66

dh66

Nice finds. I'm no real help dating them, but I'd suppose at least 50s. I like the navy one with the funky stripes.

4. Eddie Derbyshire

Eddie Derbyshire Practically Family

Very nice Dinerman, as always! Do let me know if you get sick of any of those more 'boring' ties ;) Your posts always seem to wordlessly illustrate the stark difference between British and American tastes in ties!

EDIT: Just found your Ebay page! Makes for happy browsing

5. Eddie Derbyshire

Joshua - Very nice. I'd dare say the top one is an old regimental tie of some sort from Army/Navy/Airforce etc - but I could well be wrong on that. I've a friend who has a tailor's book with all of them in - they are always interesting to come across. You might be able to find it with some Googling. The other I assume is an old Club tie of some sort. Harder to track down in my experience, because anyone from a golf club to a friendly society had their own distinct emblem or stripe!

6. BootsNBraces

BootsNBraces New in Town

I've actually done a little bit of Googling and I think the black one may be a tie that belonged to someone of the British Petroleum Shipping Company. Monnery's LTD. was a Naval and civilian tailors, hosiers and outfitters. The Red Lion Rampant on a Green diamond was used from 1955 to 1968 when it was replaced by the BP shield.

7. Eddie Derbyshire

Interesting - and that would put it in the era I would have assumed too. I'd be interested to know where the other one really came from. I've done some quick searches but can't find any regiments with those colours. But then again it could be from a now defunct one.

8. BootsNBraces

BootsNBraces New in Town

Found it: Royal Naval Reserve Regimental Stripe Tie.

Presumably a vintage one though as it doesn't meet the current length specifications - falling roughly 5 inches short.

9. Eddie Derbyshire

Goodo! Yes the shape and length would suggest, as dh66 said, 50s and backwards.

10. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

RNR tie is wonderful and I would agree on the 1950s date.

11. Eddie Derbyshire

Some different ones to what I usually have - some recent acquisitions, some I've had a while.

Two German ties, presumably sixties. The red silk one is rather strange in that all the red has worn off around wear the knot ties, just showing black. 'Redde Krawatte' and 'Trevira' from a shop in 'Hannover'.

[​IMG]

Some that might (I hope) meet the approval of the *ahem* 'non-boring tie' *ahem* contingent across the Atlantic: An unlabelled two-tone (like one that I think Metatron posted a while ago), a silk 'Folkespeare', a Terylene 'Yarn', a Terylene 'Martus Menswear' with a really weird raised texture that I haven't come across with Terylene before, and a very skinny 'Wembley' - I like this one for the little bit of sartorial advice on the label!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think gents! Did I pass the test? ;)

12. dh66

dh66

Some sweet ones in that lot, Eddie! I really like that black and white flecked Wembley in the last shot. The one next door has a really nice texture, as,well. The left hand tie, middle pic, looks to me olive with red crosshatched flecked pattern is a real knockout. Good show! (Do I sound British there?:p)

13. Eddie Derbyshire

Thanks dh66! That red crosshatched is an odd one - I can't tell what it's made out of. It's too heavy and...'floppy'...for wool but not sure what else it could be!
    And yes you do sound appropriately British...top hole, cheers, what what etc! Haha :D

14. Luftwaffles

Luftwaffles One of the Regulars

Snagged this Pendleton on the 'bay just now. First wool tie I've ever owned, I believe.
    $_57.JPG
    $_571.JPG

15. Eddie Derbyshire

That's really nice Luftwaffles! Very crisp.

16. dh66

dh66

Nice find, Luftwaffles.

17. Retro Spectator

Retro Spectator Practically Family

Today, I went to the thrift store, and got these two ties. Unfortunately, I doubt any are vintage. The Brooks Brothers is 60" long. The Chatham Ltd. one is 57" long.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Either way, nice ties. I like the seals.

19. dh66

dh66

Nice finds, Retro Spectator.

20. John T. Sarto

John T. Sarto Familiar Face

Picked up these at the Goodwill today. All date to the 1950's I guess? Maybe some of the more informed can narrow it down a bit (first two maybe late 40's/early 50's, the others mid to late 50's?) tie 1.jpg tie 2.jpg tie 3.jpg tie 4.jpg tie 6.jpg tie 7.jpg tie5.jpg