Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Yesterday, I found 11 vintage ties at the thrift store. :D

Superbra: 54" Long 3" Wide. 50s/60s?
kRH8gBU.jpg

SOSbrcZ.jpg

IwHSy3x.jpg

QRAF4UJ.jpg

Red and Black Striped tie. Unmarked. 57" Long 2 1/2" Wide. 60s?
XAz9Yf8.jpg

wnhIVzg.jpg

Tebilized Red Plaid: 51" Long 3" Wide. 50s/60s?
lfLx5Ek.jpg

iBuiZuE.jpg

f8K0gz4.jpg

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Continued.

Tebilized Blue/Green stripes: 51" Long 3" Wide. 50s/60s?
AO5m2ir.jpg

efDNl1Z.jpg

8HajzeN.jpg

Unmarked Acetate Rayon Tie: 54" Long 2" Wide. 60s?
cpGQDLB.jpg

6qW2RPH.jpg

3obNQ0X.jpg

Van Heusen Original Custom Collection: 51" Long 2" Wide. 60s?
u10x19t.jpg

1PNzUxy.jpg

nhS1T6l.jpg

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Continued.

Genung's Men's Shop. 53" Long 3" Wide. 50s/60s?
U3o3vne.jpg

wfMsVkH.jpg

JYZ0MND.jpg

Mr. John Tie: Very Unusual Metal logo on back. 54" Long 2 1/2" Wide. 60s?
sr5vyJm.jpg

6B3mhAc.jpg

bea2Kzy.jpg

Bloomingdale's Prep Shop: Vintage boy's tie? 43 1/2" Long 2 1/2" Wide. 50s/60s?
mNAFMs2.jpg

tkVsI6K.jpg

gjr0ept.jpg

Wow! You really cleaned house on that visit. Some fantastic finds in that lot. I really like the 50s Genungs. Great pattern. That red and grey plaid tebilized is a real knockout, too.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Retro S - brilliant finds. Those Tebilized ones are really great. I have one the same label different pattern. Do yours have a course texture to them?

BobH - nice! Is that knit in nylon?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Retro S - brilliant finds. Those Tebilized ones are really great. I have one the same label different pattern. Do yours have a course texture to them?

The red plaid one feels rather coarse. The blue and green one feels similar to grosgrain ribbon. The red one actually has silver glittery stripes on it.

Is Tebilized the company?

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
The red plaid one feels rather coarse. The blue and green one feels similar to grosgrain ribbon. The red one actually has silver glittery stripes on it.

Is Tebilized the company?
Cool thanks for the details. Tebilized is a process for non-creasing. Found on the British brand Tootal - but those aren't Tootal . If you ever get tired of them I'd be happy to buy them off you, or do a swap ;)
You're getting good at spotting the vintage ones now RetroS! :)

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Cool thanks for the details. Tebilized is a process for non-creasing. Found on the British brand Tootal - but those aren't Tootal . If you ever get tired of them I'd be happy to buy them off you, or do a swap ;)
You're getting good at spotting the vintage ones now RetroS! :)

It seems the vintage ties tend to be way lighter than the modern strangulation ties. Modern ties are so heavy, they make you feel like you are being strangled. :p

Another thing that seems to help determine if a tie is vintage is that they tend to not have the fancy satin liner on the back.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Very true. It's usually a mixture of factors. Eventually spotting them becomes so second nature that you can see them a mile off, without having to double check. Things can always surprise you though.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Nice ties! I agree, after noticing those subtle details to everyone else, it becomes a lot easier to figure a tie's period of date. If not the decade, at least narrowing it down, being prior to such-and-such year.

Besides just the widths, I wonder when ties will next have such noticeable changes, like with the back liners or the blade shapes. Modern ties have been more or less very similar since the 1980s, with many similar details like very gradual to no taper on the blades, and thick interior liners, except for varying widths. The long length has been consistent. There do seem to be more ties sold in stores nowadays that are knit, wool, linen, or cotton, than there used to be, several years ago. I'd rather the state of ties become revolutionized, whatever that may represent, than just fade deeper into obscurity with people wearing the same usual designs, mostly. People don't have to follow fashions. Even if future trends means cravats/ascots (whether worn inside or outside one's shirt) supersede the popularity of what we usually refer to as normal ties, I'm fine. At least it gets people wearing something to fill in an otherwise plain suit or coat. I've worn a white silk scarf like a cravat or ascot, at times.

I do like currently fashionable widths, because I'm a fan of the later half of the 1950s and the 1960s (And a little of New Wave). I think modern wide ties would also look better with more taper, and incorporating more specifically early 20th century designs, not necessarily just one decade. Modern narrow ties could stand to be less plain than they usually are, and include more mid-century influences in patterns. Ties of any width could stand to be shorter, by about three or four-five inches less than the 58" standard. That would be more like '60s and '70s lengths, but it would also work with the way most trousers are made, most no higher than mid-rise. I'm 6'1" in height, so the bigger knots could still be tied for the tall, with the back end rakishly a bit shorter if visible and not put through the keeper. More varieties available and accepted would be nice, generally. If neckties are to be preserved for the next century, people should enjoy wearing ties more often, rather than just for weddings and funerals (or increasingly, not even for these), job interviews (often, the same point applies), and the relative few suit and tie uniform workplaces left (getting less and less).

Thankfully, I believe we're doing better in 2015, than 2005, with regard to the state of neckties. I do notice a little more young people in the cities and at university wearing ties.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
BobHufford - sorry I missed your post. Thanks for showing me. I've got this horrible springy Nylon one you see. My other knits are lovely, but I never seem to wear them for some reason.

The Good - I get your points, but I'm not so optimistic on the fate of the tie. I think it will be all but gone in the next 10/20 years. It's no longer a staple of even professional businessmen here in Britain. Open collars prevail :/

The Good

Call Me a Cab
The Good - I get your points, but I'm not so optimistic on the fate of the tie. I think it will be all but gone in the next 10/20 years. It's no longer a staple of even professional businessmen here in Britain. Open collars prevail :/

Maybe. I'm quite a bit idealistic about all that, but people like us will continue wearing them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24