Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Hard to look past a tie this shiny, so I brought her home.

The pics don't really show the true effect.

Countess Mara, All Silk, 56" x 3-3/4":

20627504968_0c7c3b87b2_z.jpg

20789198986_c79f51e719_z.jpg

20627510448_ceb514c217_z.jpg

Ha! No, it's sort of striped. I bought it fair and square. For some reason the pattern made me think of an old shoney's or denney's from back when I was a kid.

Or sambo's. Remember those?

Yeah, sort of. But I seem to remember I was either under the influence or recovering from same when I visited those places. Still like the tie and those dishes are cool, Bob.

The sambos here became Denney's in the 70s. There was one by the bowling alley we hung out at a lot, and consequently we ended up there often enough. Usually in pretty sorry shape, too.
The pebbly looking design, in those unnatural colors, reminded me of the juxtaposition of modern neon signage glowing against the rustic stonework that was so prevalent from that era.

The dishes are awesome, Bob.

Sorry to derail the thread.

Damn, Dale those are nice but that Mexican inspired saddle with tapaderos is killer. You know where you can send it if you ever decide to part with it. Sorry, I'm coveting my neighbors tie.

Thanks Bama.
Due to the content of the Fedora Lounge, I have broken the 10th commandment more times than I'd care to confess, so you're at least in good company. :)

MelancholicNostalgic

New in Town
At last, my first post in this thread!

After learning much from this thread, and after much persistence, I had a major change in luck in my pursuit of finding vintage ties.
Here’s the first of the notable scores, I picked these up at 25 cents apiece at a rummage sale!
As far as I can tell they are all from the 1940’s (but feel free to correct me if I ever mis-date a a tie, I’m still learning!)
TiesPost1.jpg TiesPost2.jpg TiesPost3.jpg

An interestingly subtle ‘wood-grain’ design on the Manhattan tie.
TiesPost4.jpg

At first I thought this tie had been uniquely constructed, but upon closer inspection, it appears the previous owner cut of part of the inner blade to and sewed it back on to make their own tie-fastener.
TiesPost5.jpg

Nice haul!! And you can't beat all those for a buck! I really like the wood-grained Manhattan.
Welcome to the fun, and best of luck hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24