Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here's two recent finds of mine all of 50 pence each;
A tan/brown Vigorn being 48" long with a 4" wide blade, guessing post 1964.
29b253a.jpg
2vj2806.jpg

2hrmyr6.jpg

And a Crimplene Derbyshire County tie ( my county);
dh94qu.jpg
i56ckj.jpg

55hvso.jpg

50" long with a 3 1/2" blade, it was in filthy condition but luckily the ironing fairy has never been near it!
a quick hand wash with washing machine powder expelled loads of filthyness and brought it up sparkly, spangly and new looking, it's not even that stiff considering it's Crimplene!

Nice finds, Esteban68! I like the way the two different color threads work together to make the tan one, then go their separate ways at the end.

Hal

Practically Family
Here's two recent finds of mine all of 50 pence each;
A tan/brown Vigorn being 48" long with a 4" wide blade, guessing post 1964.
29b253a.jpg
2vj2806.jpg
I think that the Vigorn tie is older than that; I can remember such ties, woven from red and green threads and with a fringe, just as shown, from the middle 1950s, which probably means that they were around before then.

Hal

Practically Family
I thought that first Hal as it all points to an earlier tie 're length, style and width of blade however the pure new wool symbol didn't appear until the mid 60's I believe?
Sorry, I hadn't noticed that tag; the date of introduction of the Woolmark should be easy enough to find (I'd guess around 1960 itself). And a successful style could easily last for more than a decade.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Nice ties mate! That Vigorn - I've definitely got one just like it, but without the 'Woolmark' label on, that could well be from anywhere between 1930s/1950s, so I think you're not far off anyway Hal. I think 'Woolmark' came in at about 1964, but certainly Vigorn had that design knocking about for a long time! If it ain't broke don't fix it! I'm a fan of those two-tone ties, and it certainly is great how they can create a new colour between them. I've got a lovely red and turquoise one that makes a nice purple from the right distance!
Derbyshire tie is nice too. In what context do you think that could have been worn? Sporting?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ