Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
That's an awesome bunch, Dostioffsky! All of them great ties I would wear. I'm a bit jealous... :oops:
But I specially like the first Kleinhans for the pattern and the Cheney for the extraordinary color combination.
The Sulka and the Charvel & Fils are real beauties as well

What a great pattern! It's a shame about the damages... I don't know, though, if you can say it's badly ironed, ties from these years often have an odd shape similar to this one where they get really wide towards the end. (a shape that I actually really like!)
You're right: I'm pretty shure it is the correct/original shape. But it is "badly ironed" because the edges are as flat as a sheet of paper now...

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
My recent capture (sorry for the wrinkles):

very shiny chocolate-brown with emerald-green brocade - 1930's/40's German/European - Acetate?/Rayon?
25251811nv.jpg

25251812rl.jpg

These ties would all be from the 1970's & a few from the 1980's. I didn't take any measurements or photo any tags. Since I'm not a collector of ties I'm just wondering if there is anything interesting from a collector standpoint? I have a few ties from the 1930's - 1940's that were my grandfathers put away somewhere. I'm still looking for those.

2gvkara.jpg

33djdyp.jpg

2dkz78z.jpg

301qdtw.jpg

30x98og.jpg

Jack, I can't comment on collectibility as I'm a novice but i see several I like and would wear, if I still wore ties. I especially like the first two from the left in the first pic and the far right one in the last pic.

I'm diggin' those two on the far left as well, Jack.

As to collectibility, there is a growing market for those big ol' polyester 70s models.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MelancholicNostalgic

New in Town
Unfortunately I've been going through a bit of a dry period here, but I recently picked these two up:

First up, a quite skinny 1960's tie, that I at first thought was modern because of the design.
The tie (coin for size reference):
IMG_2192_zpske0dkq8a.jpg

Tag:
IMG_2193_zpshsw9jyle.jpg

While not vintage, this may be of interest to some. This was my second find, and probably the most prestigious tie label I have come across.
Hermes Tie:
IMG_2189_zpsxyceyqit.jpg

Tags:
IMG_2190_zpsnl3udoxx.jpg

IMG_2191_zpstykj4cmm.jpg

Nice finds MelancholicNostalgic. Congrats on breaking the dry spell. I'm sure all of us here can relate.

Upgrade

One of the Regulars
Hello all. I've been particularly interested in these solid colored neckties with a small geometric design in the center. They appear sometimes in Mad Men and Call the Midwife and other 50s/60s period pieces.

I've finally found a couple in some charity shops in London.

J7192Fd.jpg

Gray polyester with blue and red logo with HAA in the shape of a biplane. Filaspun Limited, a UK company that's still in business.
7MdgfK6.jpg

Would love to know the meaning of 'HAA'. Historic Airplane Association naturally presents itself, but I cannot find any matches.
FKW57Pn.jpg

Green rayon with snakeskin-like pattern. White and green geometric pattern. RN19133
Q7s2eMq.jpg

UVMe0d0.jpg

Red 'Bur-Mil' (rayon?) fabric. Black and white geometric design; second one appears to be misaligned? Superba label.
CCuSIst.jpg

TQPHCTj.jpg

Blue Dacron polyester. Green and orange diamonds with plant-like design. RN 19388
7ChPrEm.jpg

With the exception of the red tie, none of the the center designs appear to have been embroidered on separately. They do reappear on the backs and tailed as misaligned and spaced out.

Is there a specific name for this design? I'm a little fatigued at searching "vintage tie".

I get mixed results with 'tie with center graphic' and 'tie with center medallion'.

Nice finds Upgrade!! I don't know if there's a specific name for the style, but they were very prominent late 50s through mid 60s.

Nice!!! I'm an especially big fan of the black one with the cream and copper colored designs. And plaid is always a score, of course. Congrats on the finds.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Hello all. I've been particularly interested in these solid colored neckties with a small geometric design in the center. They appear sometimes in Mad Men and Call the Midwife and other 50s/60s period pieces.

I've finally found a couple in some charity shops in London.

J7192Fd.jpg

Gray polyester with blue and red logo with HAA in the shape of a biplane. Filaspun Limited, a UK company that's still in business.
7MdgfK6.jpg

Would love to know the meaning of 'HAA'. Historic Airplane Association naturally presents itself, but I cannot find any matches.
FKW57Pn.jpg

Green rayon with snakeskin-like pattern. White and green geometric pattern. RN19133
Q7s2eMq.jpg

UVMe0d0.jpg

Red 'Bur-Mil' (rayon?) fabric. Black and white geometric design; second one appears to be misaligned? Superba label.
CCuSIst.jpg

TQPHCTj.jpg

Blue Dacron polyester. Green and orange diamonds with plant-like design. RN 19388
7ChPrEm.jpg

With the exception of the red tie, none of the the center designs appear to have been embroidered on separately. They do reappear on the backs and tailed as misaligned and spaced out.

Is there a specific name for this design? I'm a little fatigued at searching "vintage tie".

I get mixed results with 'tie with center graphic' and 'tie with center medallion'.
Very nice ties! My favorite one is the green one. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112