Show us your TIES

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Veronica Parra, Sep 22, 2005.

1. MelancholicNostalgic

MelancholicNostalgic New in Town

Thanks for the observation and input on the date! I'm always learning, and love to hear the details and information that others observe and share. It's also surprising to me how ties and other clothing materials from that early of a time period still happen to show up from time to time!

Since it's not really a tie that I see myself wearing, I would certainly be interested in selling it.
    Send me a private message and we can work something out! :)

2. Boy Scout Official Necktie. Rayon. 52" x 3-1/2". 50-cents at a small town thrift. Not sure of the age exactly. I guess these were part of the Explorer uniform

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1952:

[​IMG]

1969:

[​IMG]

dh66 and Michael A like this.
  3. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

I have this tie I'm wondering about and a question.

[​IMG]P1170755 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

It's 50" long and these are the labels

[​IMG]P1170758 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

The makers label is Pomeroy. Any idea how old it is?

And now the other question, how do you store your ties?

Thanks,
    Michael

esteban68, Hal, dh66 and 2 others like this.
  4. Eddie Derbyshire

Eddie Derbyshire Practically Family

BobHufford - it's so cool to find uniform ties. To actually know it's function in its previous life really links it to the past. A great addition to your collection! :)

Michael A - lovely tie! With that length and style my shot at a date would be early to mid fifties. Looks like a nice width if I'm not mistaken? But I'm no expert on US ties! :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

BobHufford likes this.
  5. Mean Eyed Matt

Mean Eyed Matt A-List Customer

Bob: Nice one - with older construction details than the measurements point to.

Michael: Not an expert, too. But I could imagine, it is already mid/late 1940's.
    Anyway - lovely tie with great colours!
    And I hang my ties - others roll them... Dont think, there is a great difference.

BobHufford likes this.
  6. Eddie Derbyshire

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some colourful British ties! These surprised even me. They're all pre-1950s :)

I hang all the ties I use, and store the rest in shoe boxes :)

Michael A, esteban68, Hal and 3 others like this.
  7. Mean Eyed Matt

Fantastic, Eddie! Some kind of typical conservative patterns but unusual colourful for British ties...
    I would wear some of them ;)

Eddie Derbyshire likes this.
  8. dh66

dh66

Nice ones Eddie! Good to see from you. Are those mostly unlined?

Michael I'll agree with others, my guess is early 50s. Could be late 40s, but most I've seen from then tend to be shorter.
    As for storing, I hang them. I recently mounted a cheap curtain rod to the wall in my bedroom and keep the wilder ones in my collection out where I can see them.

Good find Bob! How old is that scouting ad. My boys did cub scouts for awhile a few years ago, and the @$#& scarf alone cost more than that whole uniform.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. Eddie Derbyshire

Dale - it's great to be back! :) they are all unlined except the pale pinkish one on the far right in the second pic.

10. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

Thanks for the input on tie storage. I have a fairly large collection of ties, but not much real vintage I would guess. At one point I inherited one of my grandfather's collections that dated back probably to the 20's, but they were lost to me during an upheaval period of life. I'm still bummed about that.

I recently got a bunch of these tie hangers.
    [​IMG]P1170765 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

I'm hoping they work okay.
    And this is the red family geometrics portion of my collection.
    [​IMG]P1170764 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

But this is the tie I'm wondering about today. It's 60 or 61 inches long and 4 1/4 inches wide.
    [​IMG]Handwoven Los Wigwam Necktie by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Label
    [​IMG]Handwoven El Denver by Los Wigwam Weavers Label by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Thanks again,
    Michael

BobHufford likes this.
  11. Thanks Eddie, Matt, Michael and Dale.

Dale -- the Scout ad with prices was from 1952.

Michael -- This similar tie has some info. https://www.etsy.com/listing/125399515/1940s-50s-wool-knit-tie-los-wigwam

I hang my ties. I followed Dale's lead and put the coolest ones out on display. The other are hanging from several wide plastic hangers for now. I picked up some vintage tie hangers, but have yet to mount them and move the ties over.

Michael A likes this.
  12. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

Thanks for the link Bob. I used to hang my ties on display, but then there just got to be too many of them. Lately I had them hanging on one of those wire shoe racks that you hang from a door, but it was too hard to access the one I wanted to wear and also they liked to slide off every so often. I'm hoping these little hangers work out, though I can see some issues with them too. So far I've filled up 6 of them (dozen ties each) and have maybe one or two dozen left plus my wools and knits collection which I haven't decided what to do with.

Michael

13. Mean Eyed Matt

Here some Oldies ;)

Simple black one - German 30's/40's tie - "pure silk" - 4" x 49 1/2"
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The one I was talking about:
    grey & black shiny one with nice pattern: Rayon (???) - possibly German 1920's (or 10's ?) - 4 1/3" x 45 1/3" - very skinny at the neck part
    ... sadly damaged and "restored" & bad ironed, too.
    And you can see the selvedge edge on the big (!) blade, Eddie:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last - I think - very old one:
    black & white checkered silk tie - probably German (?) - Edwardian respectively Wilhelminian ;) - 2 1/3" x 45 2/3" - and lined
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Eddie Derbyshire

Great set there Matt! Do you get much wear out of them?

15. Mean Eyed Matt

Thanks, Eddie. No, not really. I rarely wear a simple black tie. The neck part of the black-white square one is really short so hard to tie.
    The grey one I do like very much and wear it sometimes, but because of the damages I conserve it.
    So I keep them for reference...

16. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

Another handwoven wool tie.
    [​IMG]P1170787 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Wool-o'Wisp in fact.
    [​IMG]P1170789 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

I understand from past posts here that it was made by a company in St Louis. Not sure when though. It's 49" long and 3 3/4" wide.

Michael

17. Nice tie Michael. I really like the woven ones with the fringe ends.

18. dh66

dh66

Nice one!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

19. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

Yes, I like the fringe ends and the colors on this one too. I have a little loom, I suppose if I was ambitious I could weave up a bit of wool and ..... Sounds like too much ambitious required. Ha ha.

Michael

20. Mean Eyed Matt

The one I got today - Thanks to Fastuni!
    US brocade with extraordinary pattern and color combination - 30's or early 40's?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]