Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Bob. There are several in this lot that I rather like. Most of them have labels from long defunct Iowa menswear stores from a number of towns.

Michael

Wow! Thats a great haul, Michael! Lots of winners in that lot. The FLW is cool without saying, but I'm kinda partial to the one next to it with the lilies on it. The blue one with the red triangle and atomic sort of motif is especially nice as well. Congrats!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Those are probably my favorites too. My poor photos don't show all of their goodness. The one with the lilies also has a geometric pattern in matte on the satin background. This photo just hints at it.
P1210578 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
It's a Beau Brummel.

The atomic one also has a geometric brocade in satin on a matte background. It's much more of a gray than the photo shows. It is a Superba.

I also quite like the one with wavy white lines and red figures. That one is an Arrow. And the one with the dots and red bottom. That one has some sort of trumpet flower of some sort brocaded into it. It is a Regal.

I'll try to get some better pictures taken tomorrow. I got two pretty nice sport coats too. All in all a good day at the thrift store.

Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
The lily tie is proving to be very difficult to get the color my eyes see to show up in the photos.
P1210601 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
This one shows the background color and the brocading, but the flower is washed out.
P1210600 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
This one shows the flower shading, but the background is more brown than the purplish that it is when viewed head on.

In any case, the tie is getting what is probably it's first outing in many years today.
P1210595 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
A few more closeups from yesterday's collection.
P1210605 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Trumpet flowers in the background of the Regal.
P1210604 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Not sure what these are in the Superba. Vibrating atoms? Eclipsing planets?

P1210602 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Wavy things in the Arrow.

I scored a new lot today at the monthly half price sale. I don't think they are as cool as the first batch, but there are a few nice ones in there. If you go through a picture to my flickr page they are posted there. They are all individual tie pictures so I'm not sure if anyone wants to see them here. If you do let me know and I'll post them.

Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
They do have some pretty cool detail don't they? I wonder if they were from a collector of vintage ties or if they were accumulated by someone that may have had a traveling job around Iowa as they are from small towns in different parts of the state.

Here are a few from today.
Not vintage I think, but a Brooks Brother Makers label
P1210619 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Resilio knit with stripes
P1210618 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Rivetz sold at a store in Maine
P1210616 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Unlabeled acetate
P1210615 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Museum Artifacts modern, but who can pass up frogs?
P1210614 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
P1210613 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Andre of California
P1210609 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Unlabeled
P1210607 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
King Size Cravat by Towncraft Deluxe
P1210611 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Unlabeled
P1210612 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Michael

Some more gems there, Michael! Quite a few outstanding ones for you recently. The red one with handprint ed leaves is a real prize!

And as to the color of lily tie, that's one of the things I love about some of the old ones. Very difficult to pin down, and chameleon-like. Not quite purple, but not quite brown, or whatever. I've found that these sort of colors work really well with tweeds or patterned jackets.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Some more gems there, Michael! Quite a few outstanding ones for you recently. The red one with handprint ed leaves is a real prize!

And as to the color of lily tie, that's one of the things I love about some of the old ones. Very difficult to pin down, and chameleon-like. Not quite purple, but not quite brown, or whatever. I've found that these sort of colors work really well with tweeds or patterned jackets.

Yes, I like the one with the maple leaves. I got a different one the day before, also with leaves. I need to check the labels, but I'm guessing they are the same maker.
P1210578 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

The old ties do seem to have more of that color changing effect than most new ones. If they work well with tweeds and patterned jackets then I'm in luck, because I like tweeds and patterned jackets best. Ha ha.

Thanks,
Michael

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
Been a while since I've checked in. There's been some real beauts on here recently. Here's a couple interesting ones I found recently. At first glance you would think the one on the right is from the 70s. That was my wife's guess but I'm pretty sure from the fabric and the widths (49" long, 3-3/4" wide for the tie dye looking one and 46" long, 4-1/2" wide for the one on the left) that they are 40s era ties. Both of them make you wonder whether tie designers in the 40s had something interesting in the Kool-Aid.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Been a while since I've checked in. There's been some real beauts on here recently. Here's a couple interesting ones I found recently. At first glance you would think the one on the right is from the 70s. That was my wife's guess but I'm pretty sure from the fabric and the widths (49" long, 3-3/4" wide for the tie dye looking one and 46" long, 4-1/2" wide for the one on the left) that they are 40s era ties. Both of them make you wonder whether tie designers in the 40s had something interesting in the Kool-Aid.

Both are sweet ties. I'd wear them in a minute.

Michael

fiftyforfifty

Sponsoring Affiliate

Awesome vintage silk ties, must say good found

PeterGunnLives

One of the Regulars
I'm wearing a tie from (presumably) the 1950s that is 2.25" at the widest area, the squared bottom. The fabric is kind of a pebbly texture, golden yellow on the top, and burgundy toward the bottom. Interestingly for a narrow tie from that period, it has a hand-painted design of two peacocks (I thought hand-painted ties went away by then). There is no tag or maker's mark of any kind. I wish I could find out more about this. I got it at an antique store for eight bucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner