Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Cool. That one certainly has a similar vibe and palette. Is it a Techni-Color?

This was certainly a strong subset of '40s ties.

Today is a Regal
DSCN0426 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0427 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0443 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Printed brocade silk. Gotta love that.
4-24-2018 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
have a great day,
Michael

Beautiful Regal, Michael! I dig the denim, too. It takes me back to my youth.

My handpainted tie is missing the label. It's lined, though, so I don't think maybe it's as old as yours.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful Regal, Michael! I dig the denim, too. It takes me back to my youth.

My handpainted tie is missing the label. It's lined, though, so I don't think maybe it's as old as yours.

Thanks Dale. I'm guessing the denim dates back to about when I graduated from high school, or a few years later.

Michael

MondoFW

Practically Family
Cool. That one certainly has a similar vibe and palette. Is it a Techni-Color?

This was certainly a strong subset of '40s ties.

Today is a Regal
DSCN0426 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0427 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0443 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Printed brocade silk. Gotta love that.
4-24-2018 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
have a great day,
Michael
You're killing me with these tremendous ties. Let me be the heir to thy fortune!

Upgrade

One of the Regulars
Douglass_Watson_circa_1950s.JPG
walter-gropius-architect-skinny-batwing-bow-tie.jpg

chuck-berry-1957-billboard-1548.jpg

I’m a bit curious as to whether these spectacularly narrow bow ties existed as a self-tie or if they were all pre-tied clip ons.

They appear to be very skinny batwing bow ties, but I haven’t found a self-tied version that makes a bowtie that narrow. Seems like you’d need stiff material to prevent the bow tie from drooping.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-25_3-2-48.jpeg
    upload_2018-4-25_3-2-48.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 78
  • upload_2018-4-25_3-3-15.jpeg
    upload_2018-4-25_3-3-15.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 82

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
What a knockout, Michael!! That purple works so well with the greens and yellows, too. Well done.

Thanks Dale. I really like this one. Good to hear the purple was making it through, it was looking much more blue on my monitor today than it does to my eyes. And the color wheel is my friend, or enemy, depending on your point of view. Ha ha.

Thanks,
Michael

Dnewma04

One of the Regulars
Oh dear. The thrift store got a nice donation. Mostly new Boss, Zegna, Armani, Burberry and Polo and some tie that I later noticed has a naked woman photo in the liner for some odd reason.

A little research reveals that was a thing and it’s got some collector appeal. Not sure why, but to each their own. I’ll have to sell it before Christie crosses out the nipples with a sharpie.

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG
IMG_3644.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dnewma04

One of the Regulars
This is a Robert Talbott Carmel hand sewn tie. It’s very likely the nicest tie I have handled or own. The silk is soft and drapes perfectly. It’s got a decent amount of thickness to the liner without being stiff. It produces a particularly good knot.

Talbott ties are something I’ve looked for and I have a number of Best of Class models, but this one is just lovely.

IMG_3631.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MondoFW

Practically Family
Douglass_Watson_circa_1950s.JPG
walter-gropius-architect-skinny-batwing-bow-tie.jpg

chuck-berry-1957-billboard-1548.jpg

I’m a bit curious as to whether these spectacularly narrow bow ties existed as a self-tie or if they were all pre-tied clip ons.

They appear to be very skinny batwing bow ties, but I haven’t found a self-tied version that makes a bowtie that narrow. Seems like you’d need stiff material to prevent the bow tie from drooping.
Every tie of this cut I've seen was a clip-on, so I'd assume this conclusion. I don't like the square-end bowties that much, I fancy the diamond-shaped ones.

Dropped off a car-load of garage sale rejects at the local thrift. While there picked up this tie...

Botany. 52" x 2-3/4".

View attachment 116432

View attachment 116433
Minimally-lined, and has a mod-syle pattern. Could this one be from the 60's?

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Dropped off a car-load of garage sale rejects at the local thrift. While there picked up this tie...

Botany. 52" x 2-3/4".

View attachment 116432

View attachment 116433
I like that one. You might be able to find a last possible date made by searching on Botany Mills. I believe they were in New Jersey, but I could be recalling that wrong.

Picked up another Lochcarron tartan. This one is Smith. “Collect all 500!”

1deb0770b8ece469c80e55c85a53cf6f.jpg

7ef12fd2f184d94af1f3d1162f84c807.jpg

fdc3ec40c40611b64dd42548fa1d0906.jpg
I like that one too. How many are you up to now of the 500 tartans? I don't seem to find too many around here. I did find this Robert Talbot today, and it made in around my neck for the bike ride home.
DSCN0648 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0650 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk