Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

gato drawkini

New in Town
Not even the tie I care for, it's the spectators! Have any problems wearing them yet? Vintage shoes are high risk, high reward.

Fellas, what do think of this deal: copped for $18, a 1930s deadstock Botany wool tie. Photos courtesy of ebay seller dapperhaberdasher, as i have not received it yet. This man has an amazing stock of 1920s-2010s ties, some are to die for. View attachment 121496 View attachment 121497 View attachment 121498
Interestingly, it looks much like the silk brocade ties of the era, even though it's just a plebian wool one. I've been shifting from bold look late 40's stuff to these vibrant brocades and floral patterns. I need a healthy balance of ties that are suitable for more drab events, like this Botany, and silly kipper ties!

Happy tie hunting, sirs.
Good purchase MondoFW. The tie is a beaut. Tough to find ties in such good shape. The price is good for such a tie. Vintage neckties are getting harder to find these days. Ebay and Etsy are old reliables.

MondoFW

Practically Family
Good purchase MondoFW. The tie is a beaut. Tough to find ties in such good shape. The price is good for such a tie. Vintage neckties are getting harder to find these days. Ebay and Etsy are old reliables.
Thank you, Gato. Regarding rarity--You think so? I find they're some of the easiest vintage articles of clothing to come across. If I walk into a thrift shop, and there's ANYTHING that predates the Johnson era, it's neckties. Usually hand-painted or bizarre wallpaper patterned 40's ties. Bold look ties seem to be the most popular. I'm glad these are still relatively ubiquitous, and you are right, e-commerce sites are the places to find these relics. Frankly, I will likely never purchase a modern tie ever again.

I think you did great! You probably can't buy a new tie at the Dollar Store for that price and it would not be nearly as cool.
No kidding. Show me a tie that can pass the Squeeze Test, or I'm not impressed.

gato drawkini

New in Town
Thank you, Gato. Regarding rarity--You think so? I find they're some of the easiest vintage articles of clothing to come across. If I walk into a thrift shop, and there's ANYTHING that predates the Johnson era, it's neckties. Usually hand-painted or bizarre wallpaper patterned 40's ties. Bold look ties seem to be the most popular. I'm glad these are still relatively ubiquitous, and you are right, e-commerce sites are the places to find these relics. Frankly, I will likely never purchase a modern tie ever again.

No kidding. Show me a tie that can pass the Squeeze Test, or I'm not impressed.
MandoFW you are correct about neckties being the last vestige of vintage clothing to be found. It seems to be hit and miss about finding vintage neckties. Lots of 70's thick polyester ties. If they're unique, I might pick one up. Otherwise, I like the 30's brocades, the 40's bold look ties and the mid fifties hipster ties. Fun to look for and score!

gato drawkini

New in Town
Oops, that's MondoFW. I've noticed a lot of people at thrifts with their phones looking up prices for new ties. The funny thing is that buying ties seems to be popular yet the wearing of them isn't as popular in modern society as it was in previous eras.

Thrifted for 50-cents. No tags, but it appears to have some age. 1950s era Ford emblem.

19A35E90-DAAE-49F9-9E97-DE0B565B701E.jpeg

E3383C25-252D-4AD5-AFA3-683410557342.jpeg

FD8FEFFB-0DC8-4F17-9334-F3D2CB8A17F0.jpeg

Interesting find. I wonder when one would wear this? Novelty ties of the era were odd. Can't beat the $0.50 price. Try squeezing it. ;)

Quite a find MondoFW. Novelty vintage ties are rare to find, much less a specific emblematic necktie. And, dig that crazy ombre pattern emanating down from the reds to the dark red/browns.

Thanks guys! I’m a GMC man, but do have a 1950s Ford tractor so probably will wear it. :D

gato drawkini

New in Town
Thanks guys! I’m a GMC man, but do have a 1950s Ford tractor so probably will wear it. :D
Thanks for the clarification MondoFW. Yes, love finding those prizes, especially for that price. Part of the allure of looking for vintage ties. Never know when you're going to luck upon a find! I've had some luck finding some goodies for minuscule coin.

Interesting find. I wonder when one would wear this? Novelty ties of the era were odd. Can't beat the $0.50 price. Try squeezing it. ;)
This was likely a Ford salesman's tie. Worn to work and/or just about anywhere else he took a notion.

And yes, unbeatable 50 cent find!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MondoFW

Practically Family
Nice grouping. Love ties from that era.

Michael
I have to agree with you. I have grown very accustomed to the feel and look of these ties. The patterns are limitless, and there are so many to find in thrifts or online. I'm guessing these haven't grown on Japanese buyers yet :rolleyes:

gato drawkini

New in Town
I have to agree with you. I have grown very accustomed to the feel and look of these ties. The patterns are limitless, and there are so many to find in thrifts or online. I'm guessing these haven't grown on Japanese buyers yet :rolleyes:
Mondo, I remember in years past, Fedora Lounge members talking about Japanese collectors buying up Bold neckties. And then there's the Format series of Japanese neckties that resemble the Bold look. I chance upon these neckties from time to time, and have been fooled initially by them.

MondoFW

Practically Family
Mondo, I remember in years past, Fedora Lounge members talking about Japanese collectors buying up Bold neckties. And then there's the Format series of Japanese neckties that resemble the Bold look. I chance upon these neckties from time to time, and have been fooled initially by them.
They may have grabbed up a lot of them and continue to do so, but there's still a fighting chance to obtain these. Belted suits on the other hand....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21