Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
anon` said:
DSCN3807.JPG

Oh, that last one is a corker! What an interesting design; looks to be a minaret. Any labels on it?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Pile of 8 '30s ties from a junk shop from yesterday. Their price tag read "Ties for making quilts, $1". :eek:
1930sties.jpg

Snagged this crazy deadstock '30s tie at a Goodwill.
1930sdeadstocktie001.jpg

1930sdeadstocktie002.jpg

anon`

One Too Many
Widebrim said:
Oh, that last one is a corker! What an interesting design; looks to be a minaret. Any labels on it?
Minaret or palace or both, for sure. There actually aren't any manufacturer's or store labels on the tie, but the scene does have a name screened on the back side of the wide end: "Love Lyric".

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
Feraud said:
Your tie has a definite computer font running through it!
Compare the black print in your tie with the font below it.

That's incredible! The tie is definately vintage, and yet the computer font-like character is unmistakable.

Yup. That's pretty odd.

How did they come up with some of these patterns?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Quigley, I love the fourth in the top set. As for the third in the bottom set, that's a photo-tie, right? I have something similar. Not falling leaves, but a fall scene that I have posted here long ago.

Thunder, that one that everyone is talking about is just ... amazing. Wow. I wish so badly I could find one like that one day. It would really suit my black dress shirt.

Dr Doran

Torpedo said:
Bump! Pics a few posts above.

Could anyone bring some light to the dating issue? I have searched and have found some threads about Union clothing labels, but none about neckwear-specific ones.

Is there any thread (or a different website) about dating ties by labels, length, material, etc, that I may have missed?

Regards!

Hi Torpedo,

Others know far more than I, and you may already know what I am about to say, but I find it easiest to think in terms of oppositions. These are GENERAL oppositions, and plenty of exceptions exist. I have about 30 1930s ties, about 50 1940s/early 1950s ties, and about 30 late 1950s/early 1960s ties, so I can tell you what I observe.

1.) First, 1930s VERSUS 1940s/early 1950s:

a.) Generally, 1930s are narrower and a bit shorter. Their motif is often more subdued than 1940s/early 1950s. One will more often see a fabric with a visible weave. The small end is more exaggeratedly swollen than on an 1940s/early 1950s tie. Altogether, often more humble than the next category:

b.) 1940s/early 1950s, particularly the Bold Look ties, are wider and longer than 1930s, have a flashier and often weirder pattern. They are often much shinier and do not have a visible weave.

Both are very "tie-shaped," not long and slender like late 1950s/early 1960s ties.

2.) Next, what happens in the late 1950s/early 1960s:

Ties seem to have narrowed down in the late 1950s until they became quite narrow in the early 1960s, the pinnacle of this trend being a tie that was only a little over an inch wide. They are somewhat longer than 1940s/early 1950s and considerably longer than 1930s ties. I believe that patterns become less weird in the late 1950s, more regular, and often downright subdued around I guess 1960-1.

Ties become wider in the late 1960s and throughout the 1970s, then narrow again in the Reagan 1980s with New Wave.

The book "Fit to be Tied" is wonderful and worth buying. You can probably find it online. I paid $20 for it, and it was hardcover and a very useful resource. It covers the 1940s/early 1950s sub-styles.

(This is the best I can do, since no one else was answering the question ... if James Powers or Baron Kurz or whoever wishes to add or modify, please do.)

Doran said:
Hi Torpedo,

Others know far more than I, and you may already know what I am about to say, but I find it easiest to think in terms of oppositions. These are GENERAL oppositions, and plenty of exceptions exist. I have about 30 1930s ties, about 50 1940s/early 1950s ties, and about 30 late 1950s/early 1960s ties, so I can tell you what I observe.

1.) First, 1930s VERSUS 1940s/early 1950s:

a.) Generally, 1930s are narrower and a bit shorter. Their motif is often more subdued than 1940s/early 1950s. One will more often see a fabric with a visible weave. The small end is more exaggeratedly swollen than on an 1940s/early 1950s tie. Altogether, often more humble than the next category:

b.) 1940s/early 1950s, particularly the Bold Look ties, are wider and longer than 1930s, have a flashier and often weirder pattern. They are often much shinier and do not have a visible weave.

Both are very "tie-shaped," not long and slender like late 1950s/early 1960s ties.

2.) Next, what happens in the late 1950s/early 1960s:

Ties seem to have narrowed down in the late 1950s until they became quite narrow in the early 1960s, the pinnacle of this trend being a tie that was only a little over an inch wide. They are somewhat longer than 1940s/early 1950s and considerably longer than 1930s ties. I believe that patterns become less weird in the late 1950s, more regular, and often downright subdued around I guess 1960-1.

Ties become wider in the late 1960s and throughout the 1970s, then narrow again in the Reagan 1980s with New Wave.

The book "Fit to be Tied" is wonderful and worth buying. You can probably find it online. I paid $20 for it, and it was hardcover and a very useful resource. It covers the 1940s/early 1950s sub-styles.

(This is the best I can do, since no one else was answering the question ... if James Powers or Baron Kurz or whoever wishes to add or modify, please do.)

You did wonderfully. :D The 30s visible weave is what they refer to as a brocade even though it isn't in the traditional sense. [huh]
30s ties are indeed shorter and if you have a toddler that likes ties, it is likely these will not be too long for him. :D Ties got longer as the pants became less high waisted and the gorges on suits got lower. No use wasting material is likely what the desingers were thinking back then. ;)
The 80s was sort of a dicotomy when it comes to ties. There were skinny ites but those that the average businessman wore were somewhere between a 40s and early 50s width. They were much longer though and continue to be today. There were however ties that were extremely skinny much like the 60s stringbean ties. These were what your hipster with the shiny poly jackets wore. ;) :p

Dr Doran

Hi Torpedo,

Glad you found the explanation helpful. As for this tie:

Torpedo said:
This one I wore today... a Native Indian manufacture:

DSC_0758-1.jpg

DSC_0759.jpg

Very nice, and I also have some ties with the unraveled "fuzzy" bottom edge. Perhaps someone can comment on those kinds of unraveled bottom edges. Is this a 1930s tie? Is the edge supposed to be unraveled like that? Is it like that because the bottom of the tie was not normally seen since a jacket or vest covered it?

Doran said:
Hi Torpedo,

Very nice, and I also have some ties with the unraveled "fuzzy" bottom edge. Perhaps someone can comment on those kinds of unraveled bottom edges. Is this a 1930s tie? Is the edge supposed to be unraveled like that? Is it like that because the bottom of the tie was not normally seen since a jacket or vest covered it?

The tie is supposed to be like that. It is the style of tie. I have several but I seldom wear them. [huh] I am not sure as to age. A good range is between the 30s to the 50s as these ties didn't change much in construction as far as I can tell. [huh]

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You'll notice there is a seam along the bottom edge to keep it from unraveling. I have a couple also. They're very nice but more informal than a silk or rayon tie.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Doran said:
Hi Torpedo,

Hello,

As has been said already, the tie is done that way on purpose. I have a couple of them; I will show them when I have the chance. I do like the style, and will probably add more if I come across them.

The 30's-50's frame is what I understand too; having in account this particular one is a shorty, I guess no later than 40's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart