Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

In homage to Matt Deckard, whose "Show us your suits" thread has been viewed more times than any other, we offer all Loungers a place to show off the '20s-'30s-'40s ties they love (or love to hate). Our only criteria is that these ties be from the decades cited above, and that you show them to us. The ties can be yours, someone else's, or just something you've found in a photo or seen in a film.

-- Marc and Veronica

The following are my FAVORITE 1920, '30s, and '40s ties from my collection.

The crepe silk tie below is from the tail end of the 1920s. It's an extraordinary example of a distinctly '20s Deco design, as opposed to the later Streamline Moderne. I wear this tie with a cream linen suit and a cream shantung silk suit.

IMG_0526.jpg

The '20s tie below was made by Sulka. This is the fabric that Sulka was famous for: a luxurious combination of satin and watered silk. I've been told that this fabric is no longer made: it was just too complex and expensive to continue being produced. The color is a deep purple. It's a stiff silk that makes a rustling sound when one ties it. (I should mention that in the later '20s, Sulka ties were wider than was the prevailing fashion.)

IMG_0533.jpg

The early 1930s silk tie below was also made by Sulka. I'm just blown away by the "pop art" pattern, nearly 3 decades ahead of its time. You can put yourself into a trance trying to identify the faces: I'd swear that one of them (at the bottom right, just above the tip) looks like a bespectacled Bert Wheeler, from the early '30s comedy team of "Wheeler and Woolsey" (who kept RKO afloat in those years). I can't seem to wear this tie with anything ... but who cares!

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

This '30s silk tie below is from Cheney Cravat's "Game Birds" series: it's supposed to represent pheasants, and has an almost Japanese feel to it. It has the magical ability of matching practically every suit color known to humans. The only color it doesn't seem to go with is brown. I love this tie!

IMG_0528.jpg

Below is the strangest 1940s tie I've got. All silk. From the very late '40s, it's what I call a "jazzbo" or "bebop" tie: I just can't imagine anyone but a jazz musician wearing it! Take a look at the knotless "knot".

-- Marc

SuitsetcSept505018.jpg

SuitsetcSept505020.jpg

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Can I see a pic of the wool knit tie you guys had displayed with the cricket suit. I have some frayed edge thirties ties, those are my favorite. I'll post pics soon.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Daniel Riser said:
Can I see a pic of the wool knit tie you guys had displayed with the cricket suit. I have some frayed edge thirties ties, those are my favorite. I'll post pics soon.
I have several of those frayed edge ties as well, all wool and unlined. Most of them were deadstock when I found them. Are they thirties? I could never guess the date on them!
flat-top

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Those ties have such beautiful colors and designs. I haven't worn a tie since I got married (almost 6 yrs. ago) but those ties make me want to "tie one on" ;) --sorry, couldn't help myself! Modern ties are so dull in comparison.

This may be a rude question, if so please excuse my asking--but are these expensive to collect? Thanks for the pics. Best regards, Sefton

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I have been looking everywhere for square edged ties. I have a 1944 Montgomery Ward catalogue that has a tie almost identical to this one. I only find 1950's square edged ties. I need to go hunting with you guys.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Modern knit ties (silk or wool) are square ended, as are some vintage military ties- USMC and British Army for example, although the colour selection is khaki or green.
The mohair military ties are quite nice though and make a nice knot.

The modern knit ties can substitute the vintage item in a nice ensemble...
...natural/cream linen suit with a white shirt and cream knit tie is nice and adds a nice textural touch to the fairly subdued monochrome. Striped knit ties were quite popular in the '20s/'30s.

I've been looking for more than a year for a cream coloured knit tie to no avail.
Quite ironic, considering my first ever job was working for an accessory and millinery company- all the silk knit ties, hankies, scarves... I could grab... never did...

B
T

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
There is a cream knit tie about a block down from my house at a thrift shoft. It's squared 1950's cream colored. I think it's $1.50. And shipping, depending on where you are is probably $5 for priority mail, I'd be happy to pick it up for you today and ship it to you. Believe me I know what it's like trying to find ties you want.

Personally I am not a fan of modern ties because of the length. My favorite squared ties are the 20's and early 30's. Matt Deckard has a great loose knit frayed edge tie he purchased from Art Fawcett. It is, quite simply, my favorite tie.

Pics of my ties to come.

and Belly Tank let me know if you want the tie. It might be sold now, but I was in there two days ago and it was still on the rack.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
A kind offer indeed-
Is it silk?
How wide(approx.) is it?
Let me know and maybe you could grab it for me...
I can't argue with a buck and a half-

If you put it in a normal envelope it wouldn't be too costly to send to me.
I'm in Denmark. I can Paypal you.
Send me a PM if you need-

Thanks great big bunches!-

B
T

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
It is of average width, the difference is in the length, the fifties ties started to get longer, the fathers of the modern tie unfortunately.

Tell you what, if I go and it isn't a silk knit, I'll discard it, but if it is, I'll pick it up, run to the post office then PM you for what the shipping cost was to Denmark. So go ahead and PM me your shipping address.

And if you happen to stumble across an original 40's Casablanca promotional tie let me know :cool:

Brocade (woven silk or rayon) ties were very popular in the 1930s. Here are some of my favorites:

For some reason, it's very difficult to find black '30s ties with a pattern. The one below looks very Deco to me.

SuitsetcSept505002.jpg

If you look closely at the teardrop paisleys in the tie below, you'll see stylized sea creatures with eyes, fins and tails.

SuitsetcSept505003.jpg

Below is a tie whose pattern deliberately mimics stained glass cathedral "rose" windows.

SuitsetcSept505004.jpg

Radio waves in a '30s tie? You bet.

SuitsetcSept505005.jpg

The following two ties are not brocades. The first tie is hand-painted with bamboo stalks and leaves; if you look closely, you can see the artist's signature. The second tie is printed with stylized birds. Both ties were made in Japan (for the export market) before World War II. They're made of very thin silk crepe.

-- Marc

SuitsetcSept505006.jpg

SuitsetcSept505009.jpg

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Art Fawcett and I had a conversation about black ties from the thirties, and one of the theories we share is that black ties, like light colored ties, are difficult to come across because it was very difficult to conceal a stained black tie, so they would be thrown out.

Those are beautiful ties. I recently sold a "radio wave" green pattern tie. I never liked the color green until I found a 1939 double breasted dark green suitf, and now I'm in love with green. I'm kicking myself for parting with that tie.

I love patterned and themed ties, but lately I have been interested in conservative ties.

Beautiful collection Marc. By the way did you receive my PM? I think I may have to empty my inbox.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of Paisley...

...many are mystified at its origins:
The name 'Paisley' is from the place in Scotland where the pattern became famous on locally made woollen shawls and the like. The Scots stole it from the Indians, where it was already centuries old, along with the name 'Cashmere'- Kashmir, where the pattern and the goat wool was common.
The Paisley pattern is actually a stylised Mango, although it has been reported as being a cashew, or a pine cone... kinda looks like a sperm too but I don't know if they had that kinda magnification that long ago....

Some people seem to think Paisley is Evil...
http://www.demonbuster.com/paisley.html

The images in the above posting won't load on my PC...?

B
T

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
In the town of Paisley in Scotland there is actually a paisley museam. I meant to get over there but I didn't get a chance.

Like BellyTank said, Paisley was not where the pattern was originated from (it was actually in India that I believe the current pattern originated). When the British were in India in the 1700's, they would bring back shawls for their wives and daughters. Of course, these became a status symbol, so textile manufacturers in Britiain picked up on the trend and started manufacturing them for much cheaper in towns like Edinburgh and Paisley. The paisley shawls came back into fashion in the 1850's and 60's when India became under the power of Britain under Queen Victoria, the chic fabric for them was out of Kashmir. They made robes for men and women out of this pattern and fabric as well in the 1700's, then in the mid 19th century.

shamus

Suspended
Okay I'll share.

I pulled out a few from the closet. Mostly 1950's. Also is my Doris Day Tie! They're all thrift store finds.

dsc05779.jpg

dsc05780.jpg

dsc05781.jpg

dsc05782.jpg

dsc05783.jpg

dsc05784.jpg

dsc05785.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko