Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Suggestions for Rigby

1. Go to Ebay and get yourself a batch of 1940's swing ties to go with the suit.

2. That belt has got to go if your wearing suspenders & even without the braces its way too wide.

3. button down shirts are a no-no with double breasted suits.

4. Ebay again for a 1940's fedora.

Good luck! Peter :cool:

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Solid Citizen said:
1. Go to Ebay and get yourself a batch of 1940's swing ties to go with the suit.

2. That belt has got to go if your wearing suspenders & even without the braces its way too wide.

3. button down shirts are a no-no with double breasted suits.

4. Ebay again for a 1940's fedora.

Good luck! Peter :cool:
#1 Yeah, too late for the QM. At the time, I thought I needed subtle for the 30s - I was actually targeting the 30s, but found it pretty hard. The suit was supposedly late 30s / early 40s, an it seems to fit the descriptions I've come across for either, but certainly a bit more 40s.

#2 I wasn't going to admit that, but it JUST fit in the beltloops. Right there I realized it obviously wasn't meant for wide belts, and such an assumption on a suit was probably indicative that thin was de riguer.

#3 Why? Were they worn in the 30s/40s, just not w/ dbl brstd suits? Were they specifically for physical work / manual labor or something?

#4 No, I love this hat. No need to try to replace it. It's a quasi 30's hat, and it's all I ever wanted. Saw some cheap wool hats in a variety of 40's styles in a store today, and realized I wouldn't want to cheap out if I did it again - but I just bought this, and I never thought I'd ever even splurge for this.

I appreciate the suggestions, but w/ the exception of 'buy a new suit', they say start all over again. Too close to the QM for the newbie w/ no vintage to start again.

But I always have the next QM to catch up by - so I'm saving this thread - thanks! :D

J

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Hi Rigby

1. In looking over period photos of the 1940's I don't seem to recall too many button down shirts, will admit to seeing one Cary Grant 1940's photo with double breasted suit & button down shirt, rare for Grant!

2. Fred Astaire wore button down shirts all the time being the ultimate PREP fashion plate although I think he favored single breasted jackets.

3. Alan Flusser in his book on mens fashion po po's the button down shirt with double breasted jackets in how that shirt type looks compared to lapel widths!

Peter :cool:

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
WOW! Thank you, Solid Citizen, three period-relevant references...that's amazing, thanks for all the great information!:cheers1:

;) J

(Are you going to make the QM, by any chance? Love to be able to discuss this further. Thanks again!)

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Ghos7a55assin said:
The button down collar was apparently invented in the teens, 1917 if I remember correctly. Just didn't get too popular with the Hollywood crowd.
Ah, thank you! You guys are a regular WEALTH of information...one would even daresay 'font'. ;)

Not very Hollywood, you say? That's okay, neither am I...despite the resemblence to Gary Cooper.:cool: (Hey! Stop! Rotten tomatoes do not go with this color!:p)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ties

Some of my favorite vintage ties. I like color. :)

The navy one belonged to my grandfather. The others are forties finds. I wear them often, except for the one second from the right which goes with just about nothing.

ties.jpg

Mycroft

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Some of my favorite vintage ties. I like color. :)

The navy one belonged to my grandfather. The others are forties finds. I wear them often, except for the one second from the right which goes with just about nothing.

ties.jpg

They look like the ties out of Nero Wolfe, that Archie would wear. They are so cool, but a bit colorful and bold for my tastes.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Veronica Parra said:
Fred Astaire did a weird thing in the early 1930s : he occasionally wore button-down shirt collars buttoned down AND FASTENED WITH A COLLAR BAR! (That's akin to wearing trousers with suspenders AND a belt.)

He was being careful. ;) Or he liked the look.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Fred Astaire was a trend setter, not a follower.;) One of the classier dressers of the 30's and 40's.

As for suspenders with a belt, that's worse then a collar bar with an oxford collar. The collar bar ads a little flash to the outfit more then holding anything down. ;)

=WR=

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
NICE TIES

Josh, you got some swell ties, really like the brown & creme swirl one on the end in your second 1940's group! Also like the Hawaiian one on the end in the same group. SWEET! Peter :)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Long time no see!

Hey Josh, it's good to see you around!

Nice ties man! Great collection that has really started to sprout! You're first 30's grouping (Dare I say it) had two 50's ties in them. Just thought you'd like to know.

Any way, you're really doing well with your ties and that tie rack is great!

Keep up the good work!

=WR=

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vintage Ties

Hello All,
While I am bored and on a roll today, I thought I would share my vintage tie collection.
Here they are.

I can't say which one is my favorite, only that the blue with red paisley patterns is my least favorite. I really like the green with the orange flowers and the thin one with the Art Deco patterns, which I think is very elegant. The one with the village is my most recent acquisition. The most I paid for any of these is $20. What do you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko