Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

matei

One Too Many
Where do ye find all these cool ties? I've looked on eBay and there aren't any that look particularly vintage or attractive.

Also - does anyone make any modern ties that are a fair repro of the Art Deco/vintage style? If I can't find a decent vintage tie I'd be more than happy to wear something close...

Wild Root

Gone Home
matei said:
Where do ye find all these cool ties? I've looked on eBay and there aren't any that look particularly vintage or attractive.

Also - does anyone make any modern ties that are a fair repro of the Art Deco/vintage style? If I can't find a decent vintage tie I'd be more than happy to wear something close...

Not to sound condescending but, vintage ties are so easy to find and to buy. The ones that Marc posted are very collectable and will fetch 100+ easy. To find vintage on ebay isn't hard. But, there are other sites on the web that sell vintage ties. I find them every where here! I pay no more then $20. for a good tie. I have seen some that are modern that have a very vintage pattern but, I can't stand the new ones because of the shape and length. That's just me though.

What you may consider the vintage ties you see as being unattractive ties, it may have part to do with a modern mind set. Colors and patterns of days gone by were very different compared to todays! Don't settle for something modern when the real deal is easier to get then you think!

To understand vintage patterns and colors, one has to have a basic concept about the golden era design or one who loves it period.

=WR=

matei

One Too Many
I understand what you are saying. I've been to a few places here in London, and I've not seen anything that would pass for 30s/40s vintage. Lots of 60s, mostly 70s.

I've come across several sites using Google and it is hard for me to tell whether they are 40s or 50s... I admit that I don't have the trained eye of an expert... yet.

Vintage tie look up and modern stand ins.

matei said:
Where do ye find all these cool ties? I've looked on eBay and there aren't any that look particularly vintage or attractive. Also - does anyone make any modern ties that are a fair repro of the Art Deco/vintage style? If I can't find a decent vintage tie I'd be more than happy to wear something close...
When looking on E-Bay, you can use some descriptions to zero in on ties that are more along the vintage type. Look up: Ties 1940's, Ties 1950's, Ties Hand painted, Ties Art Deco, Ties Geometric. This will get some interesting groups and you can figure out the variations people will use as descriptive language.

MODERN !!!! I have found some great ties at the 3 DAY SUIT BROKER, in the extra long ties they have some STACY ADAMS ties that come with matching pocket squares, and they are mostly in the Geometrics camp but with a great vintage styling.

Hope this helps!

SIncerely,

Wild Root

Gone Home
John in Covina said:
When looking on E-Bay, you can use some descriptions to zero in on ties that are more along the vintage type. Look up: Ties 1940's, Ties 1950's, Ties Hand painted, Ties Art Deco, Ties Geometric. This will get some interesting groups and you can figure out the variations people will use as descriptive language.

MODERN !!!! I have found some great ties at the 3 DAY SUIT BROKER, in the extra long ties they have some STACY ADAMS ties that come with matching pocket squares, and they are mostly in the Geometrics camp but with a great vintage styling.

Hope this helps!

SIncerely,

Yes, good points there John! You have to try and enter so many different descriptions to find what you're after.

I have to admit, we are spoiled over here in CA. I find ties all the time and don't have to ever go home empty handed. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll go into one place to find a suit or a pair of pants, find nothing new on the racks then head straight for the tie rack and think: Oh, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll just pick up a tie so it wouldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t be a complete loss! One can find a good hand full of vintage ties in just about any vintage shop here. I have been to some that don't have any 30's-50's ties and I would consider them a horrible shop knowing how easy it is to find them. Over here, there are less and less men wearing ties so, they'll just sit there for months before one guy will come by (it's usually me any way LoL) and buy a few. In the UK, there are some great vintage dealers because there is a lot of this stuff being shipped over there from here!!! I'm sure some of the other members here in your area could help you find some goods!

STACY ADAMS: Oh yes, I have seen some of their ties and patterns they offer. They market most of their ties to the Zoot Suit guys here. I've seen some that are very deco but, with a modern twist. The colors they use are not very true to vintage that I find but, they are definitely the better looking modern ties to buy and so are Tommy Bahamas. Since I'm able to find vintage and some times I pay no more then $3.00 for one tie, I tend to only buy vintage mostly because I want to wear a piece of the 30's or 40's. If you've got a real vintage suit and you want a tie to complete the look, a vintage tie in my humble opinion is the only way to go.;)

Happy hunting!

=WR=

kools

Practically Family
Oh yes, I have seen some of their ties and patterns they offer. They market most of their ties to the Zoot Suit guys here. I've seen some that are very deco but, with a modern twist. The colors they use are not very true to vintage that I find but, they are definitely the better looking modern ties to buy and so are Tommy Bahamas. Since I'm able to find vintage and some times I pay no more then $3.00 for one tie, I tend to only buy vintage mostly because I want to wear a piece of the 30's or 40's. If you've got a real vintage suit and you want a tie to complete the look, a vintage tie in my humble opinion is the only way to go.

I'm with you, brother. I've seen all the so-called repros, but none of them pass. It's either the color, the pattern, the fabric, the shape, or the length...or all of the above. I can't say that I can easily find a nice one for $3, but it does happen. I once had a guy comment on my tie I was wearing during a show my band was playing & said he may have some in his closet he would sell me. He first showed me a wide '70s tie. After I explained that I was looking for something older, he found 5 mint condition '40s ties. He sold them to me for $5 for the lot!

My worst tie experience was with a deadstock, new-in-box '40s bright yellow & blue tie with a great palm tree design. My wife found it at an estate sale for $1. She insisted on putting it on ebay (man, did this start a fight in my house). Johnny Boyd bought it from her for about $100.

Wild Root

Gone Home
kools said:
My worst tie experience was with a deadstock, new-in-box '40s bright yellow & blue tie with a great palm tree design. My wife found it at an estate sale for $1. She insisted on putting it on ebay (man, did this start a fight in my house). Johnny Boyd bought it from her for about $100.

*Gasp* why would your wife gyp ya on that? Oh, I'm sure there was some storm clouds over your place that week! I love the palm tree hand paints and prints! The money some times is never worth the rare item that you sell. Unless you really are needing some money and there is no other alternative. It's better to eat then to hang on to a vintage item but, if that's not the case... you know.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I have no room in my house for phony/fake vintage ties. Originals aren't hard to find and well, I wear them as much as I can. ;)

=WR=

shindeco

A-List Customer
I have to agree. Ebay is not the best way to get ties. They're the one thing that almost every vintage store has; even if they don't have anything else that's pre-1975. Antique stores often have them for less and there are still good finds to be had in thrift stores. Whenever I'm in a thrift store I always check the ties. Often there's nothing but every once in a while--score! Especially with thirties ties. The big money ties are the 40s belly warmers but the people often don't recognize the older ties for what they are! I've found a few fabulous ties for 25 or 50 cents!

Wild Root

Gone Home
So, ebay isn't that good for ties? Check this out...

94_1.JPG

I just won these on ebay for only $9.99! And the reason why I wanted these is for the one palm tree tie on the far left!!! Those go for $30-$50 these days!

Ebay is good for ties if you know what you're looking for.;)

=WR=

shindeco

A-List Customer
Wild Root said:
So, ebay isn't that good for ties? Check this out...

94_1.JPG

I just won these on ebay for only $9.99! And the reason why I wanted these is for the one palm tree tie on the far left!!! Those go for $30-$50 these days!

Ebay is good for ties if you know what you're looking for.;)

=WR=

Ok I take it back!!! Strike that

Wild Root

Gone Home
Zach R. said:
You don't like the thin ties? I'll take them off your hands.:p

Sure Zach, I'll sell ya the thin ones off! Let me get them and I'll PM you about them. I'll give ya a deal. ;)

Hemingway, I'd sure love what ever tropical you find! Only the 30's and 40's ones and early 50's. I can understand why you don't like them... you don't live in a tropical area.:p But, I do! YAY! I paid $45. for a nice hand painted palm tree tie once... it's something I had to brake down and get! They're getting hard to find these days!

=WR=

Salv

One Too Many
I pointed matei to a UK eBay shop that had a few dozen vintage ties, and one that I particularly pointed out to him - with a stylised letter "M" on it - has just sold, so hopefully he has found a source to get him started.

d9_1_b.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21