Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thank you, gentlemen,
Yes, these ties are addictive and much easier to get than I thought. These are also in nearly perfect shape.

Most of them are from the forties. The thin one I am not so sure about. It looks older, perhaps from the 30's? That's my guess by the design, similar to to some dust jackets from that era. In any case, it is a very elegant tie and looks great with a waistcoat.

shindeco

A-List Customer
I would actually date the narrow one as mid-50s. The colours are more in the 50s range and it seems a bit too long; 30s ties are usually two piece ties that are quite a bit shorter than modern ties (designed to be worn under a vest, so no need for length) They're not usually as thin as that, either. Do they have labels on the back?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
shindeco said:
I would actually date the narrow one as mid-50s. The colours are more in the 50s range and it seems a bit too long; 30s ties are usually two piece ties that are quite a bit shorter than modern ties (designed to be worn under a vest, so no need for length) They're not usually as thin as that, either. Do they have labels on the back?
Nope. No labels at all. It is much shorter than a modern tie. They all are. I don't know much about fifties ties except that by then there were labels and such. It just seems older than that to me. The pattern is very Art Deco and more formalized, less fun and more elegant than the ties of the 40's and 50's. The back of it, that is not visible in the photo, is quite wide as well. I'll have to do more research, but you could be right. What do I know? The person who sold it to me said it was from the 30's and she is generally pretty knowledgeable.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
These would be a nice find

Signet brand ties, 1947. Travel theme.

signet.jpg

LOVE the second one from the left - the blue with the "M" design. Would definitely bid high on that were it on ebay. As long as it's not more than 3" wide. Not that I'm not a fan of the 4" wide tie, but I think they're too big for a guy my size.

I really have to figure out what to do with my ties. I just moved them again from the closet to hooks on the wall and they're falling all over the place. I think I have 40-50 right now and I just thinned out the collection. Keep looking for the right tie rack but never find one.

Regards,

Senator Jack

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Hem, i have to agree with Shindeco and say that the narrow tie is mid 50s.
after the wide splashy designs of the 40s and early 50s ties narrowed and the designs went more geometric, and that is a perfect example.

also, see the way the inverted chevron or arrow is placed to sit under the tie knot ? that is more a 40s-50s thing too. 30s ties tend to have an 'all over' design.

i can understand the confusion, because there were geometric ties in the 40s and 30s too.

scotrace said:
Signet brand ties, 1947. Travel theme.

signet.jpg

I collect the Signet series from 1947 for Duel in the Sun. Out of the five or six ties int eh series I one have one. Geez, I had better find the rest before they are all moth food. ;) I have the cowboy on a bucking horse. The ad is around here some place. I will post it when I find it.

Regards to all,

J

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Herringbonekid and Shindeco,
You may be right. I need to do more research. I am far from an authority. I was just going by the person who sold it to me, who owns the vintage shop, and the fact that it has no tag anywhere on it and never had a tag anywhere on it because there is no evidence that a tag has been removed: no union tag, no "made in" tag, and no designer tag. That, and the pattern, which reminded me of some of the dust jackets from books I have from the thirties with the modified fleur-de-lis, the nearly Celtic inverted "v," and the jacquard pattern of Greek meanders. Of course, these patterns could easily be revived later. There must be a reference book somewhere.

In any case, I like the tie quite a bit and wear it often and that is what counts. :)

Man I love the whole vintage tie thing from about the 1930's thru the 1950's, the abstract designs, geometrics, art deco and some of the hand painted ties are simply awesome.

The bad thing is I need a long tie as I have a 19-20 inch neck so a lot of the ties that come up are too short. I have about 6 that are way too short but I love the designs. It is funny in the older movies you'll see some guys with ties that are SHORT, the bottom of the tie is hardly lower than than where a shirt pocket bottom would be. I think you see it more in the 30's.

FYI: I found some Stacy Adams and other longer ties at the 3 day suit broker in Monrovia that had some very nice designs.

What I need is a dark burgandy bow tie for my DB suit!
Happy Tie Hunting!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
John in Covina said:
The bad thing is I need a long tie as I have a 19-20 inch neck so a lot of the ties that come up are too short.

They're very difficult to find, but some '30s-'40s ties were made extra long for men that needed them. These ties almost always have a cloth label, often on the narrow end, that says "extra long." Finding such ties is a matter of luck, however.

shindeco

A-List Customer
Long vintage ties are something of an anomaly. Up until the 'forties, ties were meant to be worn under a waistcoat or sweater so there was no need for a long tie. Many of my ties from the 'thirties (and the few from the 'twenties) don't even reach my navel (I'm 5'11" so I'm not that much taller than the average at that time, either). I wear them with or without a waistcoat and keep them short; that's the way they were meant to be.

kools

Practically Family
Here are some of my favorites

These are a few that I wear most often. Most, I'm guessing are from 1948-52. My older ones don't get worn as much. I've always liked 'em fat & loud! I am now, however, starting to appreciate some of my more conservative vintage ties a bit. Perhaps I'm aging.
my.php
[/URL]
my.php
[/URL]

my.php
[/URL]
my.php
[/URL]

Zach R.

Practically Family
I figure I might as well post these here too:

They finally came today, and I was surprised, they look 100% better in person. All of them except for the blue one and the geometric one have a very subtle pattern when you look at them in the light (eg, there are flowery objects on the green tie and parallel waves on the yellow and blue one).

I've definitely caught the vintage tie bug now. :cheers1:

BTW, Kools, I need to get back to you sometime about those knit ties, I am definitely still interested.

Wild Root

Gone Home
shindeco said:
Long vintage ties are something of an anomaly. Up until the 'forties, ties were meant to be worn under a waistcoat or sweater so there was no need for a long tie. Many of my ties from the 'thirties (and the few from the 'twenties) don't even reach my navel (I'm 5'11" so I'm not that much taller than the average at that time, either). I wear them with or without a waistcoat and keep them short; that's the way they were meant to be.

Ahhhhhh, so true! Shindeco, you've got it right. Three piece suits were very common in the 20's to early 40's so, most we find are short for that reason and also... I'm going to say it?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ high waisted pants! Yep, even on three piece suits, just watch any old 30's movie and you'll see how high the pants are by the way the vest covers the waist band perfectly not allowing any shirt to stick out at the bottom.:rolleyes:

I enjoy wearing a short tie because as you said, that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s how it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s supposed to look! People will stop me and say: you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re tie?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s too short. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll reply: Yours is too long!:p

Old photos and movies will illustrate how ties back then were short for every one for the most part. I think a nice high waisted pair of 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s pants and a white dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a nice short 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s or early 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s tie flapping in the wind is rather a cool look! ;)

=WR=

PS. I want to say that all the ties I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve seen are really cool! You?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re all very lucky to have them! Enjoy!

shindeco

A-List Customer
Wild Root said:
I enjoy wearing a short tie because as you said, that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s how it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s supposed to look! People will stop me and say: you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re tie?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s too short. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll reply: Yours is too long!:p

=WR=

I will admit to occasionally referring (disparagingly) to the current long ties as "p*nis warmers"

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
A couple of insane 1940s or very early '50s ties ...

The one below has a metal spinner at the center of the wheel. It asks, "How is your Sex Appeal?" Answer options include "Flat Tire, Exciting, None, Magnetic, Lousy, Thrilling, Dangerous, Dazzling, Fiery, Alluring, Fair, and Seductive."

5a_1.jpg

And here is a 1940s "wolf," the kind of slick character we now call a "player."

7a_1_sbl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner