Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Are you referring to absolute or relative (offer and demand) value?

Absolute worth, i guess, of a 70 year old strip of rayon or silk. Of course, they are worth what people will pay for them. But these things are not rare, in any way shape or form. They are by a long shot the very easiest pieces of vintage fashion to find.

People have too much money and too little sense of how to spend it. But then, when the stores are charging ridiculous prices for modern clothing - 50 USD and up for a tie? Absurdity. The fabric doesn't even come close to costing that much. And certainly not the sweatshop labour.

Feraud said:
You would hate shopping at vintage stores in NYC. The 40s ties go for 4-5x that amount!

Same on this side of the pond. I don't buy ties, or pretty much anything else, in vintage shops. Almost everything is ludicrously overpriced due t the current trendiness of vintage clothing.

bk

Baron Kurtz said:
I would say $10 is absurdly high for your ordinary everyday 30s or 40s tie. The zeppelins one, coming from that seller, it's unsurprising how high it went. People get some kind of mania when they see a Chevalier auction. I would say that his stuff gets at least 25% extra just because it's a Crosby Square piece. Nothing wrong in that at all and good on 'im; it's just an interesting phenomenon which holds true for several other of the better sellers.

bk

I didn't check out who the seller was.
Although I have to take issue with your description of and ordinary 30s to 40s tie. There really is no such thing compared to todays ties. ;) Unless the tie is a solid color, they made much better patterns and prints back then---not to mention the embroidered look of many of the 30s ties rather than the flat patterns. :D

nicemouth

New in Town
Baron Kurtz said:
Absolute worth, i guess, of a 70 year old strip of rayon or silk. Of course, they are worth what people will pay for them. But these things are not rare, in any way shape or form. They are by a long shot the very easiest pieces of vintage fashion to find.

People have too much money and too little sense of how to spend it. But then, when the stores are charging ridiculous prices for modern clothing - 50 USD and up for a tie? Absurdity. The fabric doesn't even come close to costing that much. And certainly not the sweatshop labour.

Same on this side of the pond. I don't buy ties, or pretty much anything else, in vintage shops. Almost everything is ludicrously overpriced due t the current trendiness of vintage clothing.

bk

Arrgggh!

In MY day, I wore pantaloons made out of twigs! They cost a NICKLE and I LIKED it!

nicemouth said:
Arrgggh!

In MY day, I wore pantaloons made from twigs! They cost a NICKLE and I LIKED it!

In my day, we didn't have dogs or cats. All I could afford was Silver Beauty, my beloved paper clip.

In my day, we couldn't afford shoes, so we went barefoot. In the winter we had to wrap our feet with barbed wire for traction.

In my day, we didn't have water. We had to smash together our own hydrogen and oxygen atoms.
:p :p ;)

Feraud

Bartender
Bought a group of ties during the Lounge hiatus.

Part I

DSC05769.jpg

DSC05770.jpg

DSC05771.jpg

DSC05772.jpg

DSC05778.jpg

DSC05779.jpg

DSC05781.jpg

DSC05782.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Here are some thrift shop finds from the past couple of weeks. As you may have assumed, I've got a weakness for deco-ish geometrics. These are all silk except for the one on the left in the first picture.

ties_27.08-1.jpg

Here's the tag from the one on the left:

ties_27.08-havana.jpg

ties_27.08-3.jpg

ties_27.08-2.jpg

I particularly like the glen plaid on the left. It's a thick, soft silk by Bill Blass. Now all I need is a matching glen plaid suit...

ties_27.08-glen1.jpg

LawnFlamingo

Familiar Face
Warbaby...

if you want to try painting silk ties you'll need...
silk paint (it's made specifically for painting silk)
Gutta (for holding those sharp edges of shapes in your design) this is a solvent though, and some people are starting to use water-based "Resists" for holding their lines instead.

this place...
http://www.dharmatrading.com
sells some inexpensive kits if you want to try it out.

It takes a while to get the hang of it, but it's quite neat once you get used to how the materials interact.

If you want to paint a non-silk tie, I've had success with thinned out screen printing inks.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Looks like mine...

MB5 said:
My quest for a matte black tie was completed recently when I picked up a lot of black ties (still need to clean the previous owner's pet hair off them). I could use some help dating them. Also, has anyone ever seen a "button down tie" like the first one before? It is an interesting solution to tie fly-away I was unaware of.

Smoothie Button Down Tie (Army Approved) 54.25"
DSC01657.JPG

JPG[/img]

I believe that the button down tie goes back to at least the mid-50s (I've seen adverts of them from that time period). I have an American Legion tie from that era which features the button down feature. When I went in the Army (mid '80s), our G.I. ties didn't have that feature, but I bought my own "Prince Consort Original Button Down Tie" (Army Approved) which does.:)

Warbaby

One Too Many
LawnFlamingo said:
Warbaby...

if you want to try painting silk ties you'll need...

Big-time thanks for the info, LawnFlamingo - I'm going to accumulate some solid-color or minimally patterned ties from the thrift shop and give it a try. If the results aren't too humiliating, I'll post photos of my accomplishments (or lack thereof...).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24