Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Levallois

Practically Family
I just got these eight ties; six with markings:

Manhattan, Pure Silk
Capital Clothing Co., Sacramento, Pure Silk
Cheney Cravats
Hale Brothers, Mens Shop
Stening and Weider, Woodland Calif
Stanley's, Sacamento Calif., All Silk

ties.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
A friend found and gave me this one for dogsitting for him. What era? I know very little about pleated ties but the construction seems '30s while the colors feel '50s.
My first pleated and I'm very excited!
ties082.jpg

ties083.jpg

This Indian woven one is from Salvation Army. A long bugger, 56"!
ties080.jpg

ties081.jpg

Some Bold Look ties from a small junk shop. Just in time for Fall.
ties084.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Good to see this thread bumped with new content!
Nice ties all around.

That purple pleated is nice!
thunderw21 said:
A friend found and gave me this one for dogsitting for him. What era? I know very little about pleated ties but the construction seems '30s while the colors feel '50s.
ties082.jpg
After searching without luck for a while I was given a pleated tie by a generous Lounger then immediately came across two more.

I've probably posted these before.
DSC06206.jpg

DSC06202.jpg

DSC06586.jpg

DSC06585.jpg

DSC06210a.jpg

DSC06211.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Pleated ties began appearing in the U.S. mass market in the 1940s. The first ones were wider than Thunder's --nearly 4 inches wide-- and they were rather high end: made of silk, not rayon, and sold under Saks Fifth Avenue's house label.

Apparently, the high end customers weren't too interested, but lower end folks were. Brighter, cheaper pleated ties made of rayon began to hit the market, and they hung around for about 5 years ... until ties became so narrow that they couldn't hold pleats!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
ties082.jpg

Feraud said:
Good to see this thread bumped with new content!
Nice ties all around.

That purple pleated is nice!

After searching without luck for a while I was given a pleated tie by a generous Lounger then immediately came across two more.

I've probably posted these before.

DSC06202.jpg

DSC06585.jpg

DSC06210a.jpg

All great! I have three pleated beauties, which I should post in the near future. Regarding dates, I have never seen a '40s pleated, just '50s.

Feraud

Bartender
Widebrim said:
Thanks, Marc; some good examples. I'll post mine soon...And I firmly disagree with those on the other thread who think that they are ugly!:mad: But then, one man's meat is another man's poison...[huh]
Agreed. I think pleated ties work better in solid colors than patterns.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
thunderw21 said:
Some Bold Look ties from a small junk shop. Just in time for Fall.
ties084.jpg

You have good taste my friend!

Not only do I have the exact same tie as the one on the right, I have two duplicates of the one second from the left! One is in golds and browns and the other is the same color scheme as yours!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou