Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vehicles

What general era was your vehichle made:

• 30s or earlier

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • 40s

Votes: 26 10.8%
  • 50s

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • 60s

Votes: 52 21.6%
  • 70s-90s

Votes: 64 26.6%
  • New with classic features

Votes: 47 19.5%

• Total voters

Mr. K.L.Bowers

One of the Regulars
J. B.

I concur with Mr.N.Custom. BEAUTIFUL!!! :eusa_clap You have to stop look at an Edsel whenever you see one. It is an icon of the late 50’s.

One of my Uncles was the service dept. manager at a Ford / Lincoln / Mercury dealership in Calixico, CA back in the late 50’s and early 60’s and he hated the Edsels. He thought they were a nice car, but they used many components from both Fords and Lincolns and caused him some headaches.

His favorite was the Mercury. When my Grandfather died in 1959, he took a new Mercury from the dealership and drove from California to Maryland in 3 ½ days, and this was before the interstate system! He said he out ran the cops in four states and the car had some significant damage when he arrived. I am sure there is more to the story than we will ever know.

Flivver

Practically Family
Johnny B said:
vroom!

redseldp4.jpg

I'm old enough to have gone (with my Dad) to the local Edsel dealer on "E-Day", September 4, 1957, the day of the Edsel's public introduction. I still have the brochures we picked up that evening.

A few weeks prior to this, we saw a car carrier full of Edsels parked at a local motel. All of the cars were covered. We stopped, and lifted the covers on the corners of several cars to get our first look at the Edsel. Gee, was I *excited*!

For 1958, the Edsel model lineup was Ranger, Pacer, Corsair and Citation. The Ranger and Pacer used the Ford Fairlane body while the Corsair and Citation used the larger Mercury body.

For all you gearheads, especially any Jagnuts, a question: can anyone here positively ID the model of Jag driven by The Equalizer? Some sources cite an XJ-S, others various XJ6 models (frequently XJ6 Series III), but there doesn't seem to be a firm answer for NY tag 5809-AUG/5809-AUJ... Sorry, haven't had any luck finding stills from the show to post for reference, but I'll keep trying.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
For all you gearheads, especially any Jagnuts, a question: can anyone here positively ID the model of Jag driven by The Equalizer? Some sources cite an XJ-S, others various XJ6 models (frequently XJ6 Series III), but there doesn't seem to be a firm answer for NY tag 5809-AUG/5809-AUJ... Sorry, haven't had any luck finding stills from the show to post for reference, but I'll keep trying.

It's a long time since I've seen it, but I'm fairly certain it was a mid 80s XJ6 (so a Series III).

merkman

Familiar Face
My car, circa 1996. Still have it. In the garage right now for it's latest facelift.
Sent some pics to Euopean Car magazine for some unknown reason, get a call a few weeks later, thought it was a friend of mine jerking me around. Guy says who he is from the mag. Want's to meet for a photo shoot in Blythe CA.
Long story short, my moment of glory. The car is a 1985 Merkur XR4Ti with lots of mods. You loungers across the pond will know it as a Ford Sierra .I guess I'm one of a fringe group of European Ford enthusiasts in the states. I've had Cortina Mk 1's and Capri's in the past. It's just another sickness:p
imgviewer.php

http://www.merkurtech.com/merkurtec...ch/magarticles/ec-aug96-yr/ec-aug96-yr-02.jpg

http://www.merkurtech.com/merkurtec...ch/magarticles/ec-aug96-yr/ec-aug96-yr-03.jpg

saturnoir

New in Town
Just bought a 1997 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas on Friday. Had a bit of work done on it so that it glides along nicely, and man has it been a great weekend! Haven't taken pictures yet (waiting for my plates), but here's what she looked like from an ad running this week online:

084.jpg

=Clipper=

One of the Regulars
Golly! I'm a little behind but here goes...
Just picked her up last month. Boy, ain't she a beaut!
1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe Coupe. All original but will be undergoing slight changes, here and there. May convert from 6 to 12 Volt for dependability. Everything works! Original flat 6 engine was rebuilt and is smooth! Body is straight as a whistle but paint could use some work. Here are some before and current pictures. I polished out the original paint when I got it and it'll be decent in the meantime. swapped tires out and polished the hubcaps. I hope to be lowering her pretty soon. Not ridiculously low..just pleasing to the eye low. Im a big fan of aesthetics and I think she could use a sleeker stance. Tell me what you think everyone!

=Before=
cimg0612iu5.jpg

48plymouthhx9.jpg

cimg0613ap2.jpg

=Clipper=

One of the Regulars
Murph351 said:
Riot, love your shots from the Rumblers CC.
Here's a tail end shot of my tribute to the 50's
myspyder.jpg

1955 Porsche 550 Spyder replica (James Dean's last ride)
When I drive this it's like a time warp.
Boy, I wish my parents had never let me play with Matchbox

Murph, This is a beautiful replica! This has been on my christmas list for ages but it looks like it's too rich for santa's blood ;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Lovely Morgan GC! I'm a great fan of them.

I see you've put Minilites/Ultralites on her which look nice.

And the paintjob is like the old MG "Cream Crackers" cars (which is a very good thing in my eyes ;) )

Nice looking ride, if you 're switching to 12v you may want to look at a Pertronix electronic ignition system for it.

=Clipper= said:
Golly! I'm a little behind but here goes...
Just picked her up last month. Boy, ain't she a beaut!
1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe Coupe. All original but will be undergoing slight changes, here and there. May convert from 6 to 12 Volt for dependability. Everything works! Original flat 6 engine was rebuilt and is smooth! Body is straight as a whistle but paint could use some work. Here are some before and current pictures. I polished out the original paint when I got it and it'll be decent in the meantime. swapped tires out and polished the hubcaps. I hope to be lowering her pretty soon. Not ridiculously low..just pleasing to the eye low. Im a big fan of aesthetics and I think she could use a sleeker stance. Tell me what you think everyone!

=Before=
cimg0612iu5.jpg

48plymouthhx9.jpg

cimg0613ap2.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Comment....

=Clipper= said:
after some polishing...
cimg0620af8.jpg

some new shoes...
cimg0624fu1.jpg

all polished...
allpolishedwc1.jpg

allpolished2nx8.jpg

allpolished3mg7.jpg

Thanks for letting me share.

=Adrian=

Wow, that is a great car. You did a really good job there with the transformation. I would love you to elaborate and give much more information on this car. Do you know Wildroot/The Forgotton Man from Monrovia? He drives as his daily driver a '46 Plymouth and swears by it.

Here he is:

Robs46Plymouth.jpg

One comment that I would like your opinion on: do you think that lowering the body will spoil the original aestethic of the car? I would be concerned about this....

John K Stetson

One of the Regulars
Another (former) Merkur Owner -

The car is a 1985 Merkur XR4Ti with lots of mods. You loungers across the pond will know it as a Ford Sierra .I guess I'm one of a fringe group of European Ford enthusiasts in the states.

I had an '89 Merkur Scorpio (Granada in the UK, Scorpio on the Continent, I think), which to this day was one of the best cars for long distance driving I've ever owned (since then, I've had a 1994 BMW 535i, 1 1999 Saab 9-5, and now a 2001 Saab 9-5).

At one point I wanted to remove the front seats and convert them into a desk chair, that's how comfortable they were. And the legroom in the rear was phenomenal - combined with the power reclining rear seats - made for a very nice ride, front or back.

A link to a site (not mine) with good info:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~pdoering/Scorpio/index.html

=Clipper=

One of the Regulars
Mr. 'H' said:
Wow, that is a great car. You did a really good job there with the transformation. I would love you to elaborate and give much more information on this car. Do you know Wildroot/The Forgotton Man from Monrovia? He drives as his daily driver a '46 Plymouth and swears by it.

Here he is:

Robs46Plymouth.jpg

One comment that I would like your opinion on: do you think that lowering the body will spoil the original aestethic of the car? I would be concerned about this....

Mr. H,
Well, this was an ebay find I picked up here in california. Me and a friend drove up north to escalon to pick it up. After 600 miles and eating at about 6 in-n-outs she came home and began the transformation that's still under construction. Again, she's all original. All gauges and electrical works. Radio works too! Rebuilt wiper motor works. For the winter the heater works! And being in southern california brings warm, well more like Blazing summers! Luckily the poor mans air conditioning/ cowl vent is fully functional! Original upholstery in great condition. Headliner is excellent too! All glass is great except one small crack on the lower portion of the drivers window but it's straight glass so it is an easy fix.
Body is straight with some cracks in the paint here and there. I think this was the first time it's been polished/buffed in ages! It really needed it but now I see all it's imperfections-ahem, i mean 'character' so she will hopefully be getting a fresh coat of paint in the near future. Trim is good minus the drivers side rocker trim. It's bent and needs to be replaced. Any leads on any from '46-'48 for a coupe would be much helpful!
The plastic on the knobs and such are intact. I'm not sure if they're Bakelite but I haven't checked and not sure if they came standard like that from the factory. However, I do know Bakelite had a lot to do with the auto industry back then so it's a possibility.
Brakes have been redone and so has the emergency brake as well. The whole underside is surprisingly clean. And it looks as if new shocks were installed not too long ago. Bumpers will get re-chromed but not until I get some more important things out of the way.
The motor is a rebuilt Flat-Six. Bored .030" and the crank has .010" oversize bearings! Definitely another easy rebuilt in the future for this block.
At one time they even made .100" pistons! That's amazing!
Currently I' rebuilding a flat-six from a '55 Plymouth Plaza that I plan od swapping over later on. This one will have a little more umph in it! dual carb setup with split exhaust manifold for better efficiency. Performance cam and hardened valve seats so it does better on heat and gas.
Wow! Look what you've done Mr. H! Haha, once I get started on cars I can ramble on and on :)

I knew of Rob a while back from myspace. But it's been a while since I had one. I just became too busy with school and work to keep up with everyone. Maybe I'll start another one up. We'll see..
I hear his is all original as well. I noticed the spotlight, which is a neat touch. I plan on finding myself some old Appleton's. Hopefully S-552..If not, some Unity D-1's They're similar in form and wayyy neat!
Never met rob in person but I'm sure he's a swell guy.

As far as aesthetics go...
Kustomizing cars dates alllll the way back to the early 30's. It was the Other genre of afficionado's just as today's crowd with the trophy queens and billet guys on classics. I feel like we are on the original and more traditional way. I identify with the philosophy of making an already beautiful car much more streamlined and appealing to the eye. Incorporating personal touches and different aspects of art to bring something out that looked like it could've been factory. Bringing the car lower than regular ride height not only makes gives it a sleeker stance but, if done correctly, gives you better handling. Here are some examples:

=Jesse Lopez' '41 Ford (late '40's)=
jesselopezfordoi9.jpg

=Sam Barris' Merc (early '50's)=
sambarrisgoodyearwidewhzg9.jpg

Hope that gives you an idea!

=Adrian=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo