Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vehicles

What general era was your vehichle made:

• 30s or earlier

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • 40s

Votes: 26 10.8%
  • 50s

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • 60s

Votes: 52 21.6%
  • 70s-90s

Votes: 64 26.6%
  • New with classic features

Votes: 47 19.5%

• Total voters

=Clipper=

One of the Regulars
Forgotten Man said:
I've told you guys but, the ol' daily P-15 got painted late last year.

l_8991cb51818e2e40f860b86c1f2e6cfc.jpg

l_8e4d0ca61fe6d3d046188c8c1361ab75.jpg

The color is the original Chevron Blue... it's a pretty darn good match to the original color I'd say.

I went with black wall tires, that's exactly what she'd have come with from the factory. Also, no trim rings were standard... and I'm lookin' for a good pinstriper to repaint the stripes on the rims.

The water bag was a fun touch I thought. lol

Hey Rob,
She looks swell! :eek:) I think that's a pretty close match, dead on, if anything! I plan on painting mine sometime before the years out. Mine came in the Kenwood Green. That combined with the wide whites will contrast beautifully. Of course you know that, as a common upgrade, white wall tires were an option when you purchased these beauties ;)

Either way, Im envious of the fresh paint! She probably feels better after all these years!

=Adrian=

=Clipper=

One of the Regulars
GWD said:

GWD,
What a beaut! I will say, I do like how the mid to late 50's had the tastiest colors! All the creams and soft tones made everything easy on the eyes. Nothing beats the feeling of driving a classic in the period attire. Well done, sir.

Austerityaudio

New in Town
Ford GPW

Hi Folks
Im new to the forum, been looking at some of the Great Motors on Show!
I have always been a Ford Man, Learning to Drive in a 1935 British Made Model "C" Delux 10HP, I have owned the below 1942 Ford GPW for over 10 years,
I will be looking to buy a bigger Pre War British car at some point, but need to find room first, I love Rileys and Sunbeams and Vauxhalls of the late 1930's and have enjoyed driving friends over the past few years.

Anyway I will let the picture talk, sorry about the mud but it is from Aldbourne the English home of Easy Co 506th Band of Brothers!

n566542821_458934_3429.jpg

64tonya

One of the Regulars
my first love...

Well, since I just made this my avatar this is redundant but its the only pic I have handy :) 64 Pontiac, the first car I ever bought.

***Oh, nevermind I couldn't get it to upload. Hmm, well that was the first time I tried...I'll figure it out.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I would really love a Vespa.. even though it would mean that I have to take a motorcycle drivers license to get it, but boy would I like to scoot around town on a Vespa!! apparently I can get a really good restored one, vintage in super good shape for around 4000$ (re-calculated to dollars). I just dont know what colors to pick!! I want something that goes with my entire wardrobe!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
thats because getting any vehicle in Denmark is extremely costly. just take the standard factory price of a car e.g. 1000$ , then add 25% in regular tax = 1250$ - then take that and add 180% for a special vehicle tax and you have the total price you would pay in Denmark for a car = 3500$

I dont think it is that much for scooters, but the taxes are still very high on any moving thing!

That was one of the reasons I moved to Sweden - cheaper cars and apartments!

EDIT : I could be doing the calculations wrong but a car in Denmark is pretty much 3 times more expensive than in other countries.

Umm... guess I'm in for one heck of a culture-shock if I manage to get a lieutenant's commission and then end up doing a tour assigned to NATO, huh?:eek:

Kompressor models have either a turbo- or supercharger, right? Tells me you appreciate performance...

So, if I ever get the chance to go for the transcontinental land speed-record, who wants shotgun?lol

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Umm... guess I'm in for one heck of a culture-shock if I manage to get a lieutenant's commission and then end up doing a tour assigned to NATO, huh?:eek:

Kompressor models have either a turbo- or supercharger, right? Tells me you appreciate performance...

So, if I ever get the chance to go for the transcontinental land speed-record, who wants shotgun?lol

I think turbo charged is different here, or at least the definition. The turbo charge is like a one-shot charge that gives one big boost of energy and the kompressor is like one steady dose of it (does this make sense?) forgive me, I am a girl and the one thing I demanded of my car when I got was that it should be black [huh] ;)

Dear lady, a gearhead primer, in US automotive terms:

Turbocharger: uses a turbine to force more air into the intake. (Two fan sets, one in intake, one exhaust--it's all spun by exhaust-gas pressure.) Upside: Can be "turned off" when not needed, saving engine load and wear. Downside: Turbos can "lag" a little when you hit "the switch".
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

Supercharger: Fan's spun by a belt off the engine's accessories section. Upside: Immediate response when you want extra power. Downside: Cannot be turned off--when not in use, puts additional load on the engine--so much so that some pre-WWII Soviet bombers actually had a fifth engine just to run the superchargers for the other 4!
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger.htm

The difference?
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm
Can you tell I really like this site?lol

Sounds like a European turbo is more like a nitrous-oxide system, a bottle of "giggle-juice" that can be squirted into the cylinders for more compression, at the cost of engine wear and increased emissions.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
(okay I am venturing out on thin ice here, I am only retelling what I have heard with half an ear!!)
I think that a 'normal' car with turbo here has the turbo build in from birth and it kicks in at a certain point at the revolution counter (spelling??). It doesn't make the 'swoosh' sound when it kicks in, you can just feel it goes a bit faster all of a sudden.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I guess my car with a kompressor is what is called supercharged

taken from wikipedia :

SLK 230 Kompressor - 2.3 L (2295 cc) 193 hp I4 supercharged engine, 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 7.4 seconds, top speed of 231 km/h (143 mph).

Sorry to put you through all that...:eek: IIRC, turbos here can be set to kick in at a given RPM (revolutions per minute on the engine crankshaft) or by manual switch, even though they don't do much good at low-power... Over there, the lack of noise is probably because of different valve-designs (possibly "gradually opening" versus "all-at-once"?) or more/better soundproofing.

Have I outed myself as a total loser gearhead-geek yet? Don't get me started about aircraft or ordnance, please--you might never get your ear back!:eek::eek:

John K Stetson

One of the Regulars
Turbos can be Super!

I think you are all in sync re: turbos and superchargers. I have a Saab with a turbo (as almost all are) and it is, as the definition says, driven by the exhaust side. "Turning it off" is I think an engine management/electronics function; there's no switch inside the car (of course, if anyone does aftermarket work, all this can change). You get extra power when needed, but when driving on the open road (!) I get around 32 mpg. Not bad for a large car (it's a 9-5)...

There is a "sport mode" switch in the car that changes the engine management: the boost will come on earlier, that is with a bit less pressure on the accelerator and the shift points (this is an automatic; I seem to go between automatics and manuals on every other car) are modified more for performance driving. Gears are held longer before upshifting, for example. The tradeoff is lower fuel economy.

The belts/chains needed for the supercharger, and the superchrager itself, are always being driven, so you get the instant power when needed (no turbo lag)...but they are always being driven, so they present a constant load on the engine.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
You are right about the supercharger - at least regarding my car, it isn't something that I can switch on or off, it's just allways there. I had no idea it was putting a constant strain on the engine though :eek:

I hope I didn't sound too foolish - I'll admit I don't know much about cars other than that I want them to go fast (but not too fast) and they should be nice looking :)

shepkatt

Familiar Face
2002 Tbird

This is my car.. although a couple of years ago I took the hard top off and had it painted white.. so now it is two-tone.

80408044.jpg

John K Stetson

One of the Regulars
You are right about the supercharger - at least regarding my car, it isn't something that I can switch on or off, it's just allways there. I had no idea it was putting a constant strain on the engine though

No worries, Darhling. "Strain" sounds bad - think of it more as a constant load. There are several other components already being driven from the engine - look at all the other belts. In general, there's the alternator, the fan of course, air conditioner, and so on.

Don't forget that all of the timing and top engine parts are driven too. Valves and cams and such in modern cars they use the timing chain or belt to give them the power to move too. When they step up the power from turbos and such, the makre tends to beef up some parts to take the increased load.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
yachtsilverswan said:
GateXC - I really like the Vespa - very retro - very practical for slipping in and out of New York traffic. I've been considering putting a couple of the four stroke versions on my boat, so the crew will have something to use for errands when we dock. They're relatively lightweight and can be craned aboard with the dinghy davits.

For a night out on the town, and to collect my boat guests from the airport, I bought a Golden Anniversary 1952 Cadillac Fleetwood Imperial limousine (Model 7533X) with coachwork by Derham.

derhamdetailed9dv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/c...e.php?pos=-115

The car was built for Nelson Rockefeller at a time when buying a limousine was truly a custom experience. After selecting a model from the Cadillac showroom, the unfinished rolling stock (frame and engine) would be shipped to a Coachbuilder for sheetmetal exterior and custom interior. For this car, Mr. Rockefeller specified what may have been one of the world's first car phones: an FM radio transceiver was installed in the trunk so that Mr. Rockefeller could talk with his Manhattan offices while motoring the streets of New York. Originally, the car was delivered with a tan leather top to limit summer heating of the black limousine. The leather has been replaced with a textured weatherproof fabic similar to what is used in convertible tops.

I knew that I would never be willing to leave the car unattended in a parking lot, and never be willing to turn the car over to a valet. The best alternative was a chauffeur to babysit the car while I was in the restaurant / bar /theater. I found a responsible college kid, vetted his driving record, and had him fitted with a traditional chauffeur's tunic, jodhpurs, and riding boots.

chauffeuruniform0sa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

http://www.dornanuniforms.com/Detail...=33&category=8

Finding a chauffeur was a bit more difficult than I had imagined. Mid-century limousines were always hand-made, and the front chauffeur's compartment was custom fitted to the original chauffeur. The driver was sent to the manufacturing plant, where the front chauffeur's bench was fitted and adjusted to the driver, then welded in place. If you later fired your chauffeur, you had to find another driver of the same height (or you had to buy a new car - great job security for the chauffeur). I had to find a driver who could fit comfortably into the unadjustable driver's seat. Limousines of this era were designed with two distinct interior treatments. The front chauffeur's compartment was covered in black tuck-and-roll calfskin with a matching black calfskin headliner. The rear compartment was upholstered in heavy woven wool brocade. Leather was not considered a luxury seating material - only rich woven fabrics were suitable for the behinds of the wealthy. The rich and famous sat on wool and silk - the driver sat on cow.

Here's Automotive Artist John Lander's painting of the car

I'm not the only member of my family to admire the handsome lines and bulletproof craftsmanship of 1950s era Cadillacs.

My great-aunt bought a new Cadillac Coupe DeVille (1950 or 1951) and drove the car daily until her death 40 years later. She was widely recognized in her small Southern town as a tuft of blue hair just visible above the massive steering wheel. She was a seemstress and dressmaker, and made most of her own clothes to match the two tone color scheme of her Cadillac.

My grandfather always drove Cadillacs - always black and always new. Here's a photo of him with my mother in 1952 -

mothercaddy1meg0kr.png
[/URL][/IMG]

It seems I'm just following my family's lead.

Cadillac - Standard of the World.

That is a delightful photo and could be an avatar for FL folks to see...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats