Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vehicles

What general era was your vehichle made:

• 30s or earlier

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • 40s

Votes: 26 10.8%
  • 50s

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • 60s

Votes: 52 21.6%
  • 70s-90s

Votes: 64 26.6%
  • New with classic features

Votes: 47 19.5%

• Total voters

Flivver

Practically Family
StraightEight said:
After rebuilding de-starter, it's de-running again. Finally.

P1000132.jpg

"Drive a DeSoto, then decide"

"And, don't forget to tell them Groucho sent you"

When I was five, our local DeSoto-Plymouth dealer had a life-size cardboard Groucho Marx standing next to a beautiful Firedome convertible in their showroom. I sure used to love driving by that place since Groucho's "You Bet Your Life" was my favorite TV program.

Lily Amelia

New in Town
Our new/old car

After deciding that a 50s American car wouldn't fit on our drive we went for what we thought was the next best thing - a 1966 Volvo Amazon! He may be Swedish but has a bit of retro American styling, enough to keep us happy for now anyway ;)

http://www.fotki.com

He needs a bit of work but is solid and reliable enough for us to get out and about in him on weekends. The main thing to get used to is people staring as we drive by! lol

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi, here some pictures of my 1998 Land Rover Defender. Still has a classy look, harsh (tractor like) drive, spartan interior, great off-roader and my wife's daily drive.
Cheers,
Andy

IMG00010.jpg

IMG00007-1.jpg

matei

One Too Many
Indeed - nice Defender! I looked at a LHD TDi 110, but in the end got the TDCi because of the long distances we travel on motorways.

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks Sir RHB and Matei for your kind words. We always were a big fan of the "green oval". I've had a 1973 lwb station wagon, a 109" pick-up and a 88" station wagon. In the end i sold them all and bought my wife a 110 Tdi, which has an excellent engine I think. Most of the work is carried out by myself, everything is like a big Meccano Box. A handbook and a good set of spanners will do most of the tricks. We might buy a Series II Defender with the Td5 engine in the next couple of months. Will post if I have one.
Thanks and good luck!
ps
Btw, Land Rover drivers still wave to each other (that is most of the Defender and old series drivers do...). I wave at every Land Rover passing by;) .
Cheers,
Andy

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
andy richards said:
Thanks Sir RHB and Matei for your kind words. We always were a big fan of the "green oval". I've had a 1973 lwb station wagon, a 109" pick-up and a 88" station wagon. In the end i sold them all and bought my wife a 110 Tdi, which has an excellent engine I think. Most of the work is carried out by myself, everything is like a big Meccano Box. A handbook and a good set of spanners will do most of the tricks. We might buy a Series II Defender with the Td5 engine in the next couple of months. Will post if I have one.
Thanks and good luck!
ps
Btw, Land Rover drivers still wave to each other (that is most of the Defender and old series drivers do...). I wave at every Land Rover passing by;) .
Cheers,
Andy

Oh yes, always a wave and a smile for other Landy Drivers!!!

RBH

matei

One Too Many
Like the other post said, although this incarnation of the Defender is a more modern machine than it's forebears, it is still much more primitive than the other vehicles nowadays and harkens back to an older time. :)

I also think that the camaraderie of the Land Rover owners is something that is lost nowadays. When driving Mrs. Matei's Mercedes, I've never had anyone give me the knowing wave like I get when behind the wheel of the Landy.

It seems to me that this thread needed just one more pic of a Defender in the snow... we braved the elements to run to the post office (obviously closed), Mrs. Matei patiently waited in the toasty warm "Tank" as I snapped this on my decidedly un-vintage iPhone:

IMG_0397.jpg

benstephens

Practically Family
Nice picture. I have been out today and mainly it has only been Defenders able to drive up the long hills deep in snow. I have been looking to get one recently, I could tow my other cars with it.

Here is a picture of me returning from a 2hr drive in the country side. It was great fun, if not a little cold. A lot of the roads were only passable in fwd.

Jeepsnow.jpg

Kindest Regards

Ben

matei

One Too Many
Great picture indeed Ben! How does it handle in the snow - it must be quite light, no? I'd imagine that it must be very good in this weather.

I used to take my MG roadster out in the snow (well, I had no choice it was my only car), and it never got stuck. Because it was fairly light it would sit on top of the compacted snow and ice rather than sink in.

matei

One Too Many
The current style is due to end production in 2012 or 2013 I read. Very sad... :(

Some of the "artist concepts" that have been floating around are enough to make you ill. :mad:

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Here is a picture of me returning from a 2hr drive in the country side. It was great fun, if not a little cold. A lot of the roads were only passable in fwd.

Congratulations on the working windscreen wipers. Mine worked grudgingly on the driver's side, barely a tremor on the passenger side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran