Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage French tailored garments.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Me in that 1932 French 3 piece dinner suit (mon smoking) I found earlier in the fall with the whole black tie rig on.

405095617.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Great tux Chasseur. That it comes complete with vest is a nice plus. Reminds me to make some pics of my Swedish tux.

Qirrel, good observation. That may be something to consider... but since German trousers also have often more than 3 fly buttons, I don't know how consistent the French would have been in never doing 3 button flies (seen to few French trousers to compare).
My Finnish 30's flannels BTW have also 3 buttons - but ok, they were oriented towards German tailoring.

Overall I agree that there is nothing convincingly "French rather than German" about the suit. What remains a bit unusual IMO for a German suit is the loop- and buttonless waist, but this may have been the desire of the costumer (along with no rear and fob pocket).

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Thank you et merci gents!

Its my first 1930s 'suit' so to speak, I've got the odd 1930s sportcoat in my size but suits (even dinner suits) are hard to come by!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Belgium - mid 1930s:

jimmymelvinsbelgianlandlords_zps8bad0481.jpg

They are a funny lookibng bunch, but I adore his one button, peaked lapel jacket. I especially like how high it buttons.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Of course there is the whole collectable angle to it... but I wear my tux on a few occasions - evening "vintage parties", cultural occasions like theater or opera, festive days (New Year, Birthday) - even if I am the only person. I don't mind being "overdressed". :p Not more than maybe 4-5 times a year at most, but I try to make use of my tuxedo where possible. Until now it was a Swedish 1930/40's DB tux, which is of course a tad more relaxed than this "full rig" ensemble. ;-)

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
A French ca. 1950 Glencheck suit... lovely label featuring a lark (Alouette).
Size 38. Will sell this one.

AlouetteJ%202.jpg

AlouetteJ%203.jpg

AlouetteJ%204.jpg

AlouetteT%201.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Lovely suit Fastuni, great cloth a tad too much shoulder padding for me , I'd look like an aircraft carrier in it!....the trousers are great, there's no need to put the waistband lining at an angle but it works great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner