1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Show Us Your Vintage Hat Store

Discussion in 'Hats' started by BobHufford, Dec 6, 2018.

1. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned Familiar Face

Brodt's...not quite a homburg?

IMG_20181228_145714534.jpg IMG_20181228_145735255.jpg IMG_20181228_145838471.jpg

Picture of original building posted by @alanfgag several years ago. That picture was of an advertised promo involving Babe Ruth in the 1920s.

Below is the factory/store which they moved into in the early 1930s:

IMG_0755.jpg

Per "The American Hatter," Brodt's provided silk hats to several presidents:

IMG_0754.jpg

Various ads:

IMG_0753.jpg IMG_0756.jpg IMG_0757.jpg

Library of Congress records

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  2. BobHufford

BobHufford I'll Lock Up

This one took some effort. FaceBook and connection to the local library kicked up the only photo of the store that I could find. Thanks to Eric Spall, Local History Librarian at the Ralph W. Stark Heritage Center / Lebanon Public Library.

Dobbs Hanover Square.

Dobbs_Hanover_Square_2.jpg

Dobbs_Hanover_Square_5.jpg

Dobbs_Hanover_Square_Jones_Benigar.png

Eric states: "The Jones & Benigar clothing store at 119 W. Main St., Lebanon, opened in 1924 as Crooks and Jones (operated by Claude Crooks and Stanley E. Jones), replacing the Max Eichman clothing store. According to "Jones' Men's Wear Closing After 50 Year Span," Lebanon Reporter, June 5, 1975, Crooks sold his share to Chris Pevler in 1939 after which the store's name changed to Jones & Pevler. Pevler then sold to Gerald Benigar in 1942. Stanley Jones was succeeded by his son, Stanley Holloman Jones, following the elder Stanley's death in 1962. Benigar died October 21, 1968. In 1973, Jones changed the store's name to Jones' Men's Wear. The store closed in 1975. As reasons for closing, Jones cited rising costs, driven by increases in oil prices, and a decline in patronage. 119 W. Main St. is now a part of the Key Bank Building. The store specialized in men's clothing, but for a while it also had general boy's wear and Boy Scout departments.

Jones_Benigar_Store_Names_Dates.PNG

Jones_Benigar_Info.PNG

From 1933:

Jones_Benigar_Crooks_Jones_Receipt_1933_Small.png

From 1964:

Jones_Benigar_Store_Location_1964_Small.png

Jones_Benigar_Store_Location_1964_Zoom.png

Today (demolished for the bank building):

Jones_Benigar_Store_Location_Today.PNG

3. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned Familiar Face

Cavanagh homburg from a Morville in Philadelphia:
    IMG_0810.JPG
    IMG_20181113_133545116.jpg

This was the store located at 15th St and Walnut, which I believe was the flagship location:
    IMG_0807.jpg IMG_0808.jpg

Ad from later timeframe, but the fine print at the bottom lists approximately a dozen locations, with 15th & Walnut listed first:
    IMG_0809.jpg

Some sleuthing says the original building later housed a bank before being torn down. Now the location is a Verizon Store and Cheesecake Factory. (Thanks reference building in the background)
    Screenshot_20190111-145051.jpg

Frunobulax and BobHufford like this.
  4. Cornshucker77

Cornshucker77 One Too Many

[​IMG]

This doesn't show a hat store but the Omaha Stockyards use to have a western store near by ( I don't remember the name) where my dad bought me my first real hat. Dad sold cattle at the Stockyards and after we went to the store. I remember the sales clerk was an older man probably in his late 70's and he showed me how to properly put on a cowboy hat. I was probably about 7 -8 years old so that has stuck in my mind for more than 50 years now. Funny what things you remember. :)

TheOldFashioned and BobHufford like this.