Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage hats!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
chanteuseCarey said:
I'd had this hat for several weeks, but waited to wear it today April 19, 2009- exactly 68 years to the day when this hat was first worn. It came to me within its original box. A note accompanied the hat saying it had been worn for a wedding in So.Calif on this date. Its quite possible it was never worn again, based on its condition and the condition of the box.

I had my hair set yesterday in a vintage style specific to wearing this hat today. I had a horrible night last night trying to fall asleep with laying my cheek on my hand, so I wouldn't wreck my hair!

But it was worth it all, as I wore the hat to a California Pops Orchestra concert, "The Best of the Big Bands". Our entire family volunteers for this wonderful Orchestra. Many of the attendees, male and female made very nice comments about the hat, and my forties look. My DH wore his vintage WWII Army Air Corp Captain's summer uniform. My blouse and skirt (not seen in the pic) are new but vintage-inspired. The clip earrings and the corde' purse I carried are also vintage pieces.
361915074.jpg

361915093.jpg

361915105.jpg

361917052.jpg
That hat is AMAZING!!!!!!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
thanks dpdiva!

I'm sure loving the vintage 40s hats... they are too much fun! two songs before the end of the show, DH and I got up and danced in the aisles and across the front rows at the concert to "Moonlight Serenade", the lighting guys even got a follow spot on us...
deadpandiva said:
That hat is AMAZING!!!!!!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
vintage 40s tilt...

Another... for this one I had my hair done in SF (wet roller set), specifically to work with this hat. Worn Saturday evening to the BAWMHRS (Bay Area Women's and Men's Historical Representation Society) annual dinner at the Alameda Naval Air Museum. DH wore his vintage WWII Army Air Corp Captain's Uniform. Also wore my same outfit and tilt to church on Sunday morning.
362688693.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
vintage 40s tilt with intact veiling...

And another! A real favorite of my collection, due in large part to the very full intact brown veiling with flocked peach dots. Perfect to go with this vintage peach hand embroidered silk blouse made in China. This tilt frame is an uncommon chocolate brown, not the typical black.

head to bust shot showing blouse embroidery
362297537.jpg
whole ensemble taken in front of roses in our side yard
362297554.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
vintage sweet little late 30s hat

This is a raffia straw. Veiling is pretty trashed though. Worn with vintage Chinese print s/s print blouse and my vintage 30s mens wool tuxedo pants that I had altered to fit me perfectly and hemmed to wear with heels. Entire ensemble is vintage; pearl trimmed gloves, red crocodile purse, jewelry, shoes, even the 40s eyeglasses. This vintage hairstyle was specifically done for wearing this hat, curls shaped to work around the hat design.
361674675.jpg
361643633.jpg

MissHannah

One Too Many
My current favourite - a little black 50's number - it feels like wool so I guess that is felt [huh] It also has a little (and rather wrecked) veil. It just perches on the back of the head a treat!

Hair230209B-1.jpg
Hair230209D-1.jpg

Decayla

New in Town
Vintage hat

Theres a bow on top and the front with a beautiful lave trim all around the hat. Has baby pink tulle and netting with some tiny pink pearls. I also got the delicate sheer gloves to match.

hat.jpg

helenhighwater

Familiar Face
that's such a nice hat, Hannah!

I have a thing for 1950s platter/plate/flying saucer hats....

h101.jpg

I recently got another one very much like this but in navy blue. No pics yet, though. And a very lovely white swirly one which again I need to photograph.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
10 vintage hats with netting- a fun pic...

I had taken this pic for posting on the "What hat are you wearing today?" thread. Thought I'd share it here as well. These vintage hats are the ones I have with netting/veils.

These white and pink own-root roses were planted in March 2007. We have over 100 antique and modern roses we grow here in our front, sides and back gardens. Growing roses is high maintenance, but hey, I'm a high maintenance lady! DH knew that as soon as we had our first date;)

The pink climbing roses on this gazebo are thornless, so no hats were harmed in the making of this photograph.
363493786.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
helenhighwater said:
that's such a nice hat, Hannah!

I have a thing for 1950s platter/plate/flying saucer hats....

h101.jpg

I recently got another one very much like this but in navy blue. No pics yet, though. And a very lovely white swirly one which again I need to photograph.

And you should Helen, they look fantastic on you! I wish I could wear a hat without feeling silly! I love the look of them.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Inky said:
I wish I could wear a hat without feeling silly! I love the look of them.

Inky, there's a hat style to suit everyone. It's just finding that style and getting comfortable wearing it! These days it's unusual to see someone wearing a hat, so that's why it sometimes feels 'odd', as it draws attention to you.

Hope you find a hat you really love and wear it. :)

Inky

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
Inky, there's a hat style to suit everyone. It's just finding that style and getting comfortable wearing it! These days it's unusual to see someone wearing a hat, so that's why it sometimes feels 'odd', as it draws attention to you.

Hope you find a hat you really love and wear it. :)

Thanks Miss Sis for the vote of confidence. I do have one hat, I should try it sometime, maybe for at least a photo op, lol.

Vanessa

One Too Many
A recent find at a vintage store. The color is a little washed out - it's a nice eggplant purple in person.

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
helenhighwater, I love your hat! How do you make them stay on? Regular hair pins or hat pin? Can you keep them on your head when your hair is down?

helenhighwater

Familiar Face
That peach one has an inner metal frame with two bits pointing down on either side which keep it on. but I think I'd need hatpins for a breezy day!

I've loved hats since I was little and insisted on wearing a little straw one to church. ;)

Vanessa, that eggplant one is lovely! What swagger!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24