Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage hats!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
vintage 40s hat with ostrich feathers

front view
365333794.jpg
showing other side of hat with good pic of snood made from a 1940s pattern for me by FL member CherryRed
365333803.jpg
showing entire vintage 40s ensemble, info posted on "What are you wearing today?" thread
365333786.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yay! Good mail day today :) I LOVE my new hats! I have such a terrible hat fetish, and the crazier the better! Luckily I got them for a steal on ebay.
hat4.jpg

hat5.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
I love your new hats Lauren!

I have a couple new ones I haven't posted. Here's one- this one has the NRA label and I got it for $3! I'll have to take pictures of the others :)

102_3875.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Great hat and a great deal too texasgirl> I love your super dress/jacket too. this hat is one you wore when you appeared in "Public Enemies", right... I'm still sticking with that story:)

texasgirl said:
I have a couple new ones I haven't posted. Here's one- this one has the NRA label and I got it for $3! I'll have to take pictures of the others :)

102_3875.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Recent vintage hats...

40s topper worn last night 7/7/09 at an Art Deco Society lecture on Dada and Surrealism pertaining to fashion:
369011329.jpg

30s raffia worn to an opening night showing of "Public Enemies"
368599807.jpg

40s with ostrich feathers with a snood worn to the ceremonies at the Presidio in SF on Memorial Day
365333794.jpg

40s tilt worn to a BAWMHRS dinner
362688693.jpg

another 40s tilt with peach flocked brown veiling worn to Ladies Bible Study
362297537.jpg
[/IMG][/CENTER]

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Lauren, love the first one!
Shirin, I agree that's beautiful!
Texas Girl, can't even start to say how much I like that hat and that dress and you in that outfit! :eusa_clap
Chanteuse Carey, your most recent outfit is my favourite one, those colours are just great on you and I really like all the details of the outfit and your elegant pose - it's a pleasure to look at!

I just got my first vintage hat at Frock me in London the other week. I am very excited about it and hope to get a pic soon for this thread. Not so excited about the price I paid, which forced me to leave the fair without anything else, leaving behind another hat, a fine pair of shoes that fitted perfectly, couple of nice brooches, and a little straw bag that really I ought to have bought anyway as it was cheap. I just felt too guilty. But now I feel guilty and stupid for having left without them, particularly the shoes and the little bag. I am so very sad.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Thanks cc-it's a wool jersey dress-one of my favorites! My husband got a kick out of that, well have to look for "me" next time we see it :) Great hats too BTW!

Aw, thanks crazydaisy! That's sweet :)

Shirin

A-List Customer
Texasgirl your hat is lovely, but I have to agree, that coat is smashing!!! Ahhh, can I have it? JK!
Carey (can I call you carey?) That first hat really suits you, It just brings the whole look together. I also really like that 30s piece. Wow.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday I had my first ever outing, in over 4 years of wearing vintage all day every day, in a vintage hat! Took my time, rather! I now have two hats, this and one other, which will have to wait to be showed off until winter.

3712131289_4e1d68bb75.jpg

I'm posing with our very own Edward, looking smashing himself in suit and hat. I think the brim needs a steam, but I love it anyway! :D

yummykiwi

New in Town
Laura Chase said:
It's nicer with pincurls! ;)

This might be the most beautiful hat I've ever seen!

confession: I am a hat virgin.
I just bought a few vintage hats at a garage sale - BEAUTIFUL - but I have no clue how to attach them to my head. Plus after years in the box they are a little misshapen.
Anyone know much about how to fix them? can I steam them and reshape them or something?
Hopefully I can get some pictures up tomorrow so that you can get a better look and give me some input :)

Kelly

yummykiwi

New in Town
Let's see if this works. Here are a few of the hats I just got. Some of them are misshapen (most of them in fact). I am SO in love with the black and lt. pink ones. The lace on the pink one is SO torn - I think from catching on the beading. Would I need to find a milliner to fix these??

PICT1837.jpg
PICT1838.jpg
PICT1842.jpg

PICT1839.jpg
PICT1841.jpg

PICT1845.jpg
PICT1846.jpg

PICT1848.jpg
PICT1849.jpg
PICT1850.jpg

zendy

A-List Customer
I really love that creamy lace topper. I bet that could look great with so many hairdos

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
05026802760d.jpg
d982102526bd.jpg

I have vintage dress fabric that matches this hat perfectly. the veiling is so cute. It two tiers. It needs to be steamed but that shouldn't be difficult.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Lovely hats yummykiwi and deadpandiva! Not sure how to fix the veil, but maybe someone on here might?!?!

Here are a couple of newish hats

This is a great green velour hat. I thought it was 30s when I bought it, but not so sure lately. I read recently that the elastic band started in the 40s- anyone know?
misc041.jpg

misc042.jpg

misc040.jpg

Here's a red hat I got from a fellow lounger. It's got a dab of glue right on the front. Do you think I should try to cover with some sort of embellishment, or not worry about it?
misc032.jpg

And this is neat, I won a Lot, which was a hat box with misc items in it. Turned out to have 2 hats, 2 muffs, and some gloves.

Here is one of the hats and muff
misc036.jpg

Inside the muff, there was all kinds of interesting items. A clothing receipt dated 1938, tickets dated 1935, and a note from her boss dated 1938, and some anacin- quite fuzzy looking!

misc037.jpg

misc038.jpg

misc039.jpg

And here's the other hat. Kinda different, has a strap that goes under the chin!??!
misc030.jpg

misc031.jpg

yummykiwi

New in Town
deadpandiva and texasgirl - those are FANTASTIC. I particularly love the green one.

I don't know much about hats yet. I need to steam mine and reshape them.
How do you ladies keep these hats on your head?? I can't figure out a way to attach them - especially the light pink one. I wouldn't use a hat pin with it, would I?? [huh]

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Texasgirl, those are fantastic!!
I think the green one could be late 30s. I am pretty sure that's when elastic straps started, but I am not positive.
The little brown hat with the strap goes behind your head, not under the chin. I see a lot of sellers calling them "chin straps" but that wasn't really popular except for a very brief time in the late 30s, and they were for a specific kind of hat- almost military looking. There may be more instances, but those are the only ones I've run across. Generally when they're ruched ribbon like that they're behind the head ones :)
Very lovely!! I have a brown one almost exactly like your red one, but the red is certainly so much more stunning!
And how neat is all the little info you have from inside the muff!!?? Wow! I just love it when things come with their own history!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24