Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage hats!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Playing with my vintage 1940s green straw. Of all the vintage hats I have, this one I keep coming back to.

Today I'm channeling Isobel Elsom and Barbara Brown as Mrs. Maria Castro and Mrs. Delfina Acuña respectively, in the 1942 film with Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth You Were Never Lovelier.

Playing around with putting my hair up and what earrings to wear with, for an upcoming trip to Long Beach and Catalina Island.

Forgive the modern eyeglasses here, and was sans makeup for this quick snap.

BTW, this film is a GREAT one for us older ladies and the young ladies here too for clothes, hats and HAIRDOS of the early 1940s. Forget Rita, look at the two older ladies and the two younger sisters!! Each of the four have their own very specific style and look.

Isobel Elsom:

Barbara Brown:

Last edited:

wahine

Practically Family
ChanteuseCarey, you always look so fabulous! It takes a true lady to wear a hat with such grandezza.

I'm totally insecure about wearing hats. The reason is that I have so little experience. Since my head is very large and my budget is very small, I usually can't find fitting hats. I wear soft berets that can be stretched, but no hats. So far.
Last week, I found two hats in a thrift shop that *might* be worn by me. How do I wear these? Are they too small (esp. the black one seems to sit too far on top of my head) or does it just seem akward to me because the look of a hat on my head is so unfamiliar to me?
I'd be really grateful for some advice, ladies!

These are the hats:

This is my hairstyle on a fairly good hair day (is it just me or does the hair always look better in the mirror than in a photo?):

Now, what do you think?

Alice Blue

One of the Regulars
So, I got two vintage hats in the mail yesterday - my first purchases! One is a velvet tilt hat that is too small, as I suspected. However it was very cheap, and I bought it anyway so I could experiment with fasteners without worrying about ruining a valuable hat.

The other is a 22 1/2, and it very nearly fits! The feather has seen better days, and the end of the tube-thing that the feather sits in is coming away. I wonder if I should replace the feather - any guesses as to the species?

DSCF1413.JPG

DSCF1416.JPG

DSCF1415.JPG

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
It's been awhile since the last entry in this thread. I hope my adding to it is more about reviving and less about necromancy! I wanted to share my latest hat acquisition! In all my years of buying hats (I probably have about 50ish -- maybe more) this is my FIRST ladies fedora! I am thrilled to add this one to my collection. 20190220_211218b.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112