Show us your vintage hats!

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by Daisy Buchanan, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Tifa

Tifa Familiar Face

LOOOVE it! I love fruit hats and the idea of other edible stuff on your head. I once did a Carmen Miranda shoot since I love her. I had an awesome time with fruits on my head :p
    You can see it here [​IMG]
    Need a party to wear it again :)

2. Stray Cat

Stray Cat My Mail is Forwarded Here

You look fabulous!

3. Odile

Odile New in Town

That is SUCH an amazing picture

4. wahine

wahine Practically Family

Yes, it looks like the best possible teamwork: beautiful model and skilled photographer!
    Simply fun to look at and enjoy. Thanks for posting, Tifa.

5. Hatstruck

Hatstruck Familiar Face

These hats are absolutely awesome!

6. Hatstruck

Hatstruck Familiar Face

That hat looks gorgeous on you. Since you love Bes Ben hats, check these out at : http://hatstruck.blogspot.com/2010/04/allison-parsons-bes-ben-collection.html. There is also a link in the sidebar to a museum showing Bes Ben Hats. Fabulous!

7. LinaSofia

LinaSofia A-List Customer

I love wearing hats and I have decide to stretch my hat-wearing into the summer months this year by getting some straw hats! I've just bought this one... any ideas about dating it? 60s? But I was actually thinking I might be able to pull it off as 40s... if worn a bit more slanted towards the back of the head rather than forward... do you think it might work?

[​IMG]

do you girls have any tips for what to look for in 40s or 50s summer hats? I haven't really ventured into the summer hat area before.. :)

8. Hatstruck

Hatstruck Familiar Face

Here is an excellent reference for hats of the 1940s and maybe some 1950s. The site has not been updated for a couple of years but it is wonderful and it can be revisited time and time again. Enjoy! http://chapeauxbibitop.blogspot.com/

9. LinaSofia

LinaSofia A-List Customer

thank you! wonderful resource! Thanks for sharing :)

10. Odile

Odile New in Town

Thanks for the link! I've actually already stumbled across that page, just from google. Her collection is amazing. I thought I had a lot of Bes Ben hats (6, I think, at last count) but she puts my collection to shame. I would have loved to see them in person!

11. Mojito

Mojito One Too Many

Texasgirl, those 20s hats are my eyecandy for the evening! And even though it's not "my" collecting era, Bes-ben hats always delight me with their wit and playfulness, so seeing one of those makes me happy :) I have a whole slew of new hats - here's a favourite:

[​IMG]

12. Drappa

Drappa One Too Many

^Has anyone told you that you are the spitting image of Eva Green?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  13. Hatstruck

Hatstruck Familiar Face

I love cloche hats, and that one is beautiful. It looks great on you.

14. Mojito

Mojito One Too Many

No one has ever said that, Drappa - but goodness, it's flattering! And thank you, Hatstruck!

15. Hatstruck

Hatstruck Familiar Face

Hi ladies, check out the video on my site showing some fabulous 1938 hats.

16. Tuesday_Next

Tuesday_Next Familiar Face

I have collected a whole bunch of cloche patterns over on Ravelry. Even though I don't collect 20s era fashions, I just love Louise Brooks' bobs and a lovely cloche. So stunning!

(oh, just noticed the fabulous Pendleton that Winona Ryder is wearing with that cloche.. its giving me ideas!)

17. Isis

Isis One of the Regulars

Nothing to show yet, but I have to squee a little in anticipation. When my grandmother dies 8 years ago I inherited two old travel hat boxes full of hat making supplies. When I got them I just opened them briefly and then, somehow, I never opened one of them again. They are identical and I think I somehow managed to overlook that I actually have two of them, not one. Yesterday I went through them both and realized my mistake. I also relaized that I have no less than 26 unblocked hat bodies in felt in a number of colour and qualities. (Luckily I also inherited three hat blocks too). Then, in the bottom I found a somewhat crushed and very dusty hat in dark blue felt. From the shape of it I think it is form the 1930's and it's quite simple- nothing fancy at all. In fact, probably just the hat a smart looking, but not very rich girl would wear. Like my grandmother. And after looking at it carefully I find that despite it bedraggled appearnce, it is in a rather good condition, no tears or holes at all. I'm sure that is I de-dust it, steam it gently and let it rest on a hat block to help it retain its shape, it will be as good as new.

What a treasure I found out that I have!

18. Miss Tuppence

Miss Tuppence A-List Customer

^Wow, how exciting! I hope you will post a pic of your newly rediscovered hat…..You are so fortunate to have the proper felt hoods and hat blocks too- finding nice felt (old) is so hard nowadays- the modern stuff just doesn’t even compare! May I ask if your grandmother was a milliner?

19. Tamamiko

Tamamiko One of the Regulars

Geez, I haven't contributed anything on here in forever...
    I have a great hat (in great need of repair) that a friend wanted to shoot me in. Unfortunately, a lot of the shots are dark, but I have a few where the hat is pretty visible.