Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage hats!

Tifa

Familiar Face
IMG_0375.jpg
"]
IMG_0375.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]Okay here you go, sorry if this turns out huge I'm still getting the hang of posting pictures--and curling my hair as you can undoubtedly see. Your hat sounds beautiful. I know its ridiculous to wear strawberries on my head, but I do love it.

LOOOVE it! I love fruit hats and the idea of other edible stuff on your head. I once did a Carmen Miranda shoot since I love her. I had an awesome time with fruits on my head :p
You can see it here
Tifa_carmen_02.jpg

Need a party to wear it again :)

Hatstruck

Familiar Face
IMG_0375.jpg
"]
IMG_0375.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]Okay here you go, sorry if this turns out huge I'm still getting the hang of posting pictures--and curling my hair as you can undoubtedly see. Your hat sounds beautiful. I know its ridiculous to wear strawberries on my head, but I do love it.

That hat looks gorgeous on you. Since you love Bes Ben hats, check these out at : http://hatstruck.blogspot.com/2010/04/allison-parsons-bes-ben-collection.html. There is also a link in the sidebar to a museum showing Bes Ben Hats. Fabulous!

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I love wearing hats and I have decide to stretch my hat-wearing into the summer months this year by getting some straw hats! I've just bought this one... any ideas about dating it? 60s? But I was actually thinking I might be able to pull it off as 40s... if worn a bit more slanted towards the back of the head rather than forward... do you think it might work?

safe_image.php

do you girls have any tips for what to look for in 40s or 50s summer hats? I haven't really ventured into the summer hat area before.. :)

Hatstruck

Familiar Face
I love wearing hats and I have decide to stretch my hat-wearing into the summer months this year by getting some straw hats! I've just bought this one... any ideas about dating it? 60s? But I was actually thinking I might be able to pull it off as 40s... if worn a bit more slanted towards the back of the head rather than forward... do you think it might work?

safe_image.php

do you girls have any tips for what to look for in 40s or 50s summer hats? I haven't really ventured into the summer hat area before.. :)

Here is an excellent reference for hats of the 1940s and maybe some 1950s. The site has not been updated for a couple of years but it is wonderful and it can be revisited time and time again. Enjoy! http://chapeauxbibitop.blogspot.com/

Odile

New in Town
That hat looks gorgeous on you. Since you love Bes Ben hats, check these out at : http://hatstruck.blogspot.com/2010/04/allison-parsons-bes-ben-collection.html. There is also a link in the sidebar to a museum showing Bes Ben Hats. Fabulous!

Thanks for the link! I've actually already stumbled across that page, just from google. Her collection is amazing. I thought I had a lot of Bes Ben hats (6, I think, at last count) but she puts my collection to shame. I would have loved to see them in person!

Mojito

One Too Many
Texasgirl, those 20s hats are my eyecandy for the evening! And even though it's not "my" collecting era, Bes-ben hats always delight me with their wit and playfulness, so seeing one of those makes me happy :) I have a whole slew of new hats - here's a favourite:

tumblr_lip6ltpHBh1qi533ro1_1280.jpg

Hatstruck

Familiar Face
Texasgirl, those 20s hats are my eyecandy for the evening! And even though it's not "my" collecting era, Bes-ben hats always delight me with their wit and playfulness, so seeing one of those makes me happy :) I have a whole slew of new hats - here's a favourite:

tumblr_lip6ltpHBh1qi533ro1_1280.jpg

I love cloche hats, and that one is beautiful. It looks great on you.

Mojito

One Too Many
No one has ever said that, Drappa - but goodness, it's flattering! And thank you, Hatstruck!

Tuesday_Next

Familiar Face
That cloche would be so cute with my new hair cut. I wich I could crochet or knit.

I have collected a whole bunch of cloche patterns over on Ravelry. Even though I don't collect 20s era fashions, I just love Louise Brooks' bobs and a lovely cloche. So stunning!

(oh, just noticed the fabulous Pendleton that Winona Ryder is wearing with that cloche.. its giving me ideas!)

Isis

One of the Regulars
Nothing to show yet, but I have to squee a little in anticipation. When my grandmother dies 8 years ago I inherited two old travel hat boxes full of hat making supplies. When I got them I just opened them briefly and then, somehow, I never opened one of them again. They are identical and I think I somehow managed to overlook that I actually have two of them, not one. Yesterday I went through them both and realized my mistake. I also relaized that I have no less than 26 unblocked hat bodies in felt in a number of colour and qualities. (Luckily I also inherited three hat blocks too). Then, in the bottom I found a somewhat crushed and very dusty hat in dark blue felt. From the shape of it I think it is form the 1930's and it's quite simple- nothing fancy at all. In fact, probably just the hat a smart looking, but not very rich girl would wear. Like my grandmother. And after looking at it carefully I find that despite it bedraggled appearnce, it is in a rather good condition, no tears or holes at all. I'm sure that is I de-dust it, steam it gently and let it rest on a hat block to help it retain its shape, it will be as good as new.

What a treasure I found out that I have!

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
^Wow, how exciting! I hope you will post a pic of your newly rediscovered hat…..You are so fortunate to have the proper felt hoods and hat blocks too- finding nice felt (old) is so hard nowadays- the modern stuff just doesn’t even compare! May I ask if your grandmother was a milliner?

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
Geez, I haven't contributed anything on here in forever...
I have a great hat (in great need of repair) that a friend wanted to shoot me in. Unfortunately, a lot of the shots are dark, but I have a few where the hat is pretty visible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points