Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage hats!

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
I just posted on my website an article I wrote about 1940s hats using the information from 1940s sources. It's mainly advice on how to choose an appropriate hat, and I've illustrated it with some of my hats. Look under Perfect Pieces. 1940s Hats

I LOVE hats!

Lizzie

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
I have a huge head (size 23) and I have managed to find some beautiful 1930s hats to fit - cheaply too (I don't like to pay more than $10 if I can help it) - so don't despair Lady Day!

Kim_B

Practically Family
I am new to the world of hats...I'm of the opinion that I look absolutely ridiculous in hats, no matter what kind I try on. I'm sure others think differently, but I still feel silly in a hat. However (there's always one of those!), I have found quite a few adorable hats at one of our antique stores for a real bargain. Problem is, I have no idea how to wear it!

I'm posting this for illustration only, this is not the exact hat, but the closest thing I could find on ebay...This picture was in the 1947-1964 section of vintage hats; the hat I found at the store is a dark brown, and is trimmed in velvet. There is no netting of any kind, but it looks similar to this style...
56_1.jpg

So...does any one have an ideas on how one would wear such a thing? And I guess that brings me to a rather stupid, but general hat question...how do you know which way it is placed on your head? I mean, some are obvious, but some are a little tricky to get lined up just the right way. Maybe this is why I always look so silly!! :p

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Those are little 50s caps, worn with smoother hairstyle (i.e., no reverse rolls) and placed directly on the head (not tilted or worn forward, generally dead on center, though you often see them in asymmetrical shapes for added interest.)

How you wear a hat depends on the hat and your hairstyle. Many 1940s hats look best tilted slightly (I always tilt mine to the left.) If you are having trouble finding the right hat, you may need to experiment with many styles. For example, I look best in tilt, halo, and cartwheel hats, as these best frame and accentuate my face. I look terrible in cloche hats, in part because I wear very full, rolled 1940s hairstyles, but also because this style simply does not work with my rounder face.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Jitterbugdoll, thank you so much for posting! I think I might pop over to the antique store this weekend and pick up a few hats...the brown one I mentioned earlier was only $15! When I was there last weekend, a lady was just setting up her booth and had boxes of hats - I didn't want to be rude and interrupt her set-up, but I was itching to look through them all!

Thanks again!!

texasgirl

One Too Many
~landgirl~ said:
I thought I posted in here to ask about hat size measuring, but can't find it anywhere! What's going on? :rolleyes:

It's in "the one that got away" thread- bottom of page 9- I think someone answered on page 10 :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sari, those pictures are great. I wish I could find hat's like the yellow one. I wonder how hard it would be to try and make one??

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I have a hard time finding fabulous hats - what do you search on ebay to find them?
Bella, when I search for hats I first go to "women's clothing, shoes and accessories", I scroll down to the "vintage" section and click on "men's and women's accessories" On the left side of the page that comes up there is a hat option. Go to that, and again on the left side, the selection can be broken down into era. You probably know all of these options already, but just in case you didn't, I do find this is the best way to find anything on the bay. I tend not to do searches, and stick to the links under the vintage section, for there is just too much stuff to sort through, and it gets tedious after a while.
Sometimes, I'll do a more generalized search under either the "vintage" section or "clothing, shoes and accessories". I keep the search command as concise as possible, but it does help to search a specific category instead of trying to search the entire marketplace. Some options I do, and you've probably done this already but I'll pass it on anyway, "vintage hat" "1940 hat" "ladies hat" "1930 hat". Just play around with it. I do come up with more if I use hat instead of hats, and use any combination of the above phrases, somethings bound to come up. But again, the most stuff I find is in the vintage category. Although, some people don't know what they've got and list things under the wrong category, and usually sell them for cheap. I just usually don't have the patience to go hunting for such things!! Good luck, and make sure you post pictures of all the hats you win!

olive bleu

One Too Many
I usually just type "1920's hats", or "Flapper hats", or "vintage hats" in the search bar. Maybe that is not the most effective way of going about it:eusa_doh:

You all have some mighty darling hats.I am still whining about the adorable hats that i just got outbidded on last week, but now i am spending my money on a new hair do next week. Other than e-bay, are there are any reliable sources for good hats? I would really like a couple of nice cloche hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner