Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

fashion frank

One Too Many
House was built in 54 so it's not really vintage much but I have added a Texaco service station, front and back. Some things are retro and some things are original that I have restored. I've tried to include the 30s to the 60s. Pictures are a few months old, I have added other items since.

Hey I really like your screen name ,do you own one ?
I just bought one last month and having a great time with it!

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

31 Model A

A-List Customer
House was built in 54 so it's not really vintage much but I have added a Texaco service station, front and back. Some things are retro and some things are original that I have restored. I've tried to include the 30s to the 60s. Pictures are a few months old, I have added other items since.

Hey I really like your screen name ,do you own one ?
I just bought one last month and having a great time with it!

That is the Crème de Crème I have planned for next Spring, Frank. I've had other vintage cars but not a Model A. My intentions is having one sitting at the Texaco Station getting fueled, attend vintage car rally's in the St Louis area, I would like to find a co-driver in the female persuasion that loves the same time period that could accompany me to the events. I haven't decided yet whether to get a coupe or a sedan. I guess with either a coupe with a rumble seat or a sedan with a back seat, I could have more than one lady friend. :D Both have good points and reasons to have either. I recently stopped travelling and decided to stay in one place. I've done a lot of living History in my lifetime and I've saved this era for last.

Which do you have, coupe or sedan?

Yes we really scored and we aint done yet we are going back next weekend to get the rest.
Did I see somewhere on here that you also recently bought a vintage home ?

All the Best Fashion Frank

Hi Frank, yes We recently move into a nice mid-century home. I know many here would not consider it vintage, but I am a pretty solid tail fin era guy and am pretty stoked to have it. Not least because it's huge, and I have a pile of kids. Being mid century modern is icing on the cake for me.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Who cares What "They" think :)

Hi Frank, yes We recently move into a nice mid-century home. I know many here would not consider it vintage, but I am a pretty solid tail fin era guy and am pretty stoked to have it. Not least because it's huge, and I have a pile of kids. Being mid century modern is icing on the cake for me.

I like everything you just stated ( thats also why we are pals ) !
Who cares what "they " think ,if its cool to you that's all that matters .

Secondly you're a tail fin kinda guy , I have in the past, when I was younger, owned a 1958 Hudson Hornet Sedan with a twin carb big block engine , a 1953 chevy 3 speed on the collumn, a 1959 Chevy Bel Air with the female "eyebrow " tail fins and last but not least a 1959 Desoto firedome with a 413 Hemi Wedge engine, I could tell you some stories about what happened to me with that car .

I have pictures of all of them and some day I'll take a picture of the pictures and post them here .
Right now my 1931 Ford Model A is keeping me busy, but its easy to work on and there are tons of parts out there!

Last point about your house, it's big like mine and you can have a ton of people stay over etc.
I have two spare bedrooms and at Holiday time its great, last year I had family fly in from all over the country for a New England Christmass and it was a solid gas.

Last point I am Roman Catholic and I applaud you for bringing children into this world, after all thats what its all about "La Familia" so like you yourself stated " being Mid Century is icing on the cake for me and having a pile of kids " tomorrow we celebrate my daughte'rs birthday and the clan will all be over and so there you go!

Like I stated at the start, I like everything you just stated!
All the Best My Friend, Fashion Frank

Last edited:
Thanks Frank!
Sounds like you've had some sweet rides in your time, can't wait to see some pics.
And you're right, one of the best things about a big family is the holidays. This will be the first time around in the new digs, I can't wait.

fashion frank

One Too Many
This Afternoon's Project.

Since we have obtained our "new" vintage dining room furniture ,the ugly light fixture that came with the house when we bought it had to go !

Spent the afternoon installing this instead.
If you look closely at the small table behind the dining room table ,my wife has already filled the brandy decanter on her new liquor table
The new chandelier is way more in keeping with the style of the house and furnishings.

I had mentioned to someone that I meant to take a picture of the table and legs closer up.
The table has three leaves, in the picture it only has one installed.

Last edited:

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Not my home, yet. We went to have a look at a deco home for sale at Katoomba, it's a nice mainly original late 40's house. Needs work, but could be lovely, and it's only a five minute walk from the Three Sisters.
View attachment 8258 View attachment 8259 View attachment 8260 View attachment 8261 View attachment 8262 View attachment 8263
This is just around the corner
ThreeSisters001.jpg

Ah, Katoomba. Home of the oft-mentioned Hats Direct!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The fun of renovation. I went over to the house tonight, when I opened the front door, I saw something doing a burn out on the slick wood floor. A cat, didn't over surprise me, the lady had at least three. He ran to the basement, and got up into the floor joist. I tried to coax him down, but to no avail, he just hissed and growled at me. The owner is several states away now, so animal control is going to trap him in the morning. I do fill sorry for the critter, he has been through a lot in the last couple of weeks. Between me making all kinds of racket, and the roofers for a week.

I hope for your sake "he" has been through a lot. Where I used to live, a lady in the neighborhood moved away, and graciously left behind her cats. The gift that keeps on giving. By the following summer the whole street was rich in leftover cats and their offspring. Couldn't walk out on the front porch without smelling the cat**** in the azalea bushes, and the festering carcass of one would decorate the street on a regular basis. Fortunately for us, the county at this time was setting the stage for Detroit by going through the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history to date, and animal control was non-existant. The feral cat population was pretty out of control by the time they got their funding back.
I'm no great cat lover or animal activist, but I think there's a special place in the @sscrack of Hell for people who just abandon animals like that.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I went into the basement this morning and the cat had sprung the trap, eaten the bate and escaped! He must be the reincarnation of Houdini. I left the window open and this evening, I could not see him using a mirror to look into his hiding place. I closed the window and left a little tuna out, if it is still there tomorrow, I know he is gone. I hate to do that, but at least now he has a chance. Wish I could have tamed him.

My girlfriend and I are in the process of restoring / renovating an apartment we bought in a 1927 NYC apartment house. For vintage lighting, we have been looking at these sites:

Rejuvination

Ruby Lane

Olde Good Things

Urban Remains

Does anyone have other suggestions for vintage interior lighting sources from the 1920s / 30s?

Thank you

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
What specific style are you looking for? Pan fixtures? Colonial Revival? Tudor? Italian Renaissance? "French"? Early Modern?

The Rejuvenation catalog is a good starting point. If you are looking for genuine antiques rather than their excellent and accurate reproductions the Rejuvenation book at least allows one to get a feeling for the style and scale of fixture that they like. List the styles of some of the Rejuvwnation fixtures that you prefer and I will see whether I can find sources for real period stuff that would be similar.

What specific style are you looking for? Pan fixtures? Colonial Revival? Tudor? Italian Renaissance? "French"? Early Modern?

The Rejuvenation catalog is a good starting point. If you are looking for genuine antiques rather than their excellent and accurate reproductions the Rejuvenation book at least allows one to get a feeling for the style and scale of fixture that they like. List the styles of some of the Rejuvwnation fixtures that you prefer and I will see whether I can find sources for real period stuff that would be similar.

Hi, let me review with my girlfriend - we are looking for vintage pieces and I know it is in the Art Deco, Machine Age, School-house vibe - but she is much more informed than me, so please don't do anymore looking until I talk with here and I can give you good answers. Thank you so much for offering to help.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Hi, let me review with my girlfriend - we are looking for vintage pieces and I know it is in the Art Deco, Machine Age, School-house vibe - but she is much more informed than me, so please don't do anymore looking until I talk with here and I can give you good answers. Thank you so much for offering to help.

Well, I restore fixtures, so I wouldn't need to do any "looking", except perhaps in my cellar!;)

I also have many original catalogs in my collection, so if I have some idea of where you might be heading I can post scans of the appropriate,pages so,that you can see some of the possibilities.

In addition or fixture styles, the quality of the light that you are looking for is an important consideration. The "Schoolhouse" style fixtures for example are what was called "semi-indirect". A large portion of their light output was directed upward and reflected from the ceiling, providing a soft, shadowless, diffuse light.

Last edited:
Vitanola

Thank you again for your kind offer to help with resources. As mentioned earlier, my girlfriend and I are embarking on a renovation of a circa 1927 apartment in NYC. We are hoping to use vintage lighting, hardware, fixtures etc as much as possible. (The following intelligent and detailed texts uses the pronoun "we," but is really "she," as she is much more knowledgable about this.)

We are now in the process of sourcing vintage (not repro) lighting for 2 bathrooms (one of which is the last remaining "complete" period bath in the building---with the exception of some unfortunate Big Box lighting fixtures).We are looking for appropriate white/cream porcelain wall mounted fixtures with opal/milk glass/clam broth shades (circa late 20's, 30's or possibly early 40's would do). We are not interested in "bare bulb" fixtures(the ones that look like porcelain stalks with a bare bulb at the top).

We did find this Alabax Porcelain Pass & Seymour c1930 piece on Rejuvanation that we liked but it was already sold: this is the link to it: http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/r3128

Long story short, we are trying to source vintage porcelain bathroom sconces with an Art Deco/Modernistic/Machine Age/Streamline/Skyscraper feel. I have a search on ebay and have rounded up the usual suspects listed earlier in my opening post.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions as to sources that anyone may have to offer.

(Next up ----Deco wall sconces for the FP and vintage or NOS hardware for the kitchen!)

Having read your most recent post, please feel free to respond via private message as it sounds like we should talk away from the forum.

Thank you

Last edited:

fgradowski

One of the Regulars
This isn't MY vintage home, but it is my parent's very vintage home. It's pre-1900. Actual date is unknown until/if the abstract pops up somewhere.
2748376031_7814f3ae50_z.jpg
2748532675_e829a238d6_z.jpg
They have a beautiful staircase and a stained glass window with the original owner's initials in it. There are also stained glass windows in the attic and in two of the outside doors.
2752810006_c11393b81e_z.jpg
Here is an old photograph of the home. I don't think there is any date or any information given on the back of it.
2752810008_3fd0cd868f_z.jpg
They have lived in this home since I was in 5th grade and they have redone the front living room, kitchen, upstairs bathroom, and my room. My mom just told me the other day that they are getting some new windows. The windows in the home are original single pane windows. Each with their own specific matching screens. They are all numbered because apparently the windows aren't all the exact same size?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
This isn't MY vintage home, but it is my parent's very vintage home. It's pre-1900. Actual date is unknown until/if the abstract pops up somewhere.
View attachment 18765
View attachment 18766
They have a beautiful staircase and a stained glass window with the original owner's initials in it. There are also stained glass windows in the attic and in two of the outside doors.
View attachment 18767
Here is an old photograph of the home. I don't think there is any date or any information given on the back of it.
View attachment 18768
They have lived in this home since I was in 5th grade and they have redone the front living room, kitchen, upstairs bathroom, and my room. My mom just told me the other day that they are getting some new windows. The windows in the home are original single pane windows. Each with their own specific matching screens. They are all numbered because apparently the windows aren't all the exact same size?

Do you have a picture of the complete stair case? I love grand stair cases! I am trying to figure a way to make mine into at least a mini grand.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
An update on the cat saga. The cat is out of the basement, finally! I called a professional trapper, after the cat got out of my trap again last night. Turned out, the cat had his own plan! I went to check on the trap at around 9:00 pm, I went in through the front door, left it open as usual, the screen door, doesn't latch. Then I opened the basement door, which opens outwards to the down stairs. Suddenly, here comes the cat by me, I almost do a head plant down the stairs, I then I hear a lot of racket as the cat runs around the house, I quickly close the basement door, since I didn't want him going back down there. When I got my composure back, I went into the kitchen and heard a lot of commotion at the front door, the cat forced his way by the screen door and was gone! So, in the end, it was his decision not mine, a mini Great Escape! I wonder how long he was planing that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner