Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Unfortunately, a major setback on the cat smell front. I went by this morning, the smell was worse then ever. Seems, when I moved the old washer, I did not get one of the spigots all the way closed, the dripping water, reactivated the smell! I went and got some vinegar, pored it on, just as advertised on the internet, the smell got worse. I will see what it smells like tomorrow, since I have to be there in the morning for the new garage door. I have one more quiver left, mix half vinegar half fabric softer with some hydrogen peroxide. I may still have to seal the floor with Kilz oil base paint.

Kilz works---once and done. :p

Good luck! I would exhaust every option known before I painted a concrete floor.
Now.. Maybe one of those new high tech epoxy terrazo floors on the other hand......

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Tried the peroxide, fabric softer and vinegar treatment. This morning it did smell nice! Only time will tell if it did the trick, or is it only masking the odor?

Tried the peroxide, fabric softer and vinegar treatment. This morning it did smell nice! Only time will tell if it did the trick, or is it only masking the odor?

Not sure why fabric softener is in the mix, other than to make the whole thing smell nice. Peroxide and vinegar should have neutralized the odor, but then it would have stunk like vinegar for awhile - which to me is as bad as catpiss. Fortunately the vinegar smell will dissipate eventually.

kampkatz

Practically Family
I agree with jamespowers, as I have used Kilz over the years for a variety of stains and odors. One coat usually works on cat urine, but a second coat absolutely seals it in forever.

31 Model A

A-List Customer
House was built in 54 so it's not really vintage much but I have added a Texaco service station, front and back. Some things are retro and some things are original that I have restored. I've tried to include the 30s to the 60s. Pictures are a few months old, I have added other items since.

IMG_0008_edited-1.jpg IMG_0010_edited-1.jpg IMG_0005_edited-1.jpg IMG_0006_edited-1.jpg IMG_0010_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:

fashion frank

One Too Many
"New " Antique, High End Furniture for a Song.

Hello Everyone , my wife knew someone who was emptying out their deceased parents house and he was selling a bunch of stuff and we scored a complete dining room set .

We sold the set we had on craigs list and moved this in .
Our old stuff sold for $400.00 and we scored all this stuff for $ 300.00 !

The hutch alone is worth over a grand and goes great in our home because we have nine foot ceilings ,in fact the person contacted my wife because he knew that and knew that we were " vintage " and would take care of the stuff since it was his folks.

The glass is beveled and I was scared s*^t that we would break one of them on the trailer ride back because you cannot replace that glass.

The sideboard is heavy duty and the chairs are all hand carved ,I should have taken off the table cloth so that you could have seen the table and it has three leaves and the big bucks table pads that are felt lined .

We also got a huge mirror for seventy five bucks that is huge and is worth four times that much ,we hung it over the living room victorian couch and it now reflects the living room fireplace its just plain awesome , I will have to take a picture of it tomorrow and post it.

He still has two 30's era dresser sets ( one rosewood serpintine, really nice ) with mirrors and the beds ,we told him we didn't really need them but if he could not sell them ( he told us he can't be bothered with the hassle of trying to sell them ) that we would buy them we are going back next week to get them all for one seventy five !
we have two spare bedrooms filled with the made in china crap so we will also craigs list them and put the good stuff in those rooms .

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR