Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Well congrats on that. Now get to work on that pee smell.

Fgradowski your parents have an awesome home. You were fortunate to grow up there.

An update on the cat saga. The cat is out of the basement, finally! I called a professional trapper, after the cat got out of my trap again last night. Turned out, the cat had his own plan! I went to check on the trap at around 9:00 pm, I went in through the front door, left it open as usual, the screen door, doesn't latch. Then I opened the basement door, which opens outwards to the down stairs. Suddenly, here comes the cat by me, I almost do a head plant down the stairs, I then I hear a lot of racket as the cat runs around the house, I quickly close the basement door, since I didn't want him going back down there. When I got my composure back, I went into the kitchen and heard a lot of commotion at the front door, the cat forced his way by the screen door and was gone! So, in the end, it was his decision not mine, a mini Great Escape! I wonder how long he was planing that?

And you breathed a sigh of relief..... :)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Vitanola

Thank you again for your kind offer to help with resources. As mentioned earlier, my girlfriend and I are embarking on a renovation of a circa 1927 apartment in NYC. We are hoping to use vintage lighting, hardware, fixtures etc as much as possible. (The following intelligent and detailed texts uses the pronoun "we," but is really "she," as she is much more knowledgable about this.)

We are now in the process of sourcing vintage (not repro) lighting for 2 bathrooms (one of which is the last remaining "complete" period bath in the building---with the exception of some unfortunate Big Box lighting fixtures).We are looking for appropriate white/cream porcelain wall mounted fixtures with opal/milk glass/clam broth shades (circa late 20's, 30's or possibly early 40's would do). We are not interested in "bare bulb" fixtures(the ones that look like porcelain stalks with a bare bulb at the top).

We did find this Alabax Porcelain Pass & Seymour c1930 piece on Rejuvanation that we liked but it was already sold: this is the link to it: http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/r3128

Long story short, we are trying to source vintage porcelain bathroom sconces with an Art Deco/Modernistic/Machine Age/Streamline/Skyscraper feel. I have a search on ebay and have rounded up the usual suspects listed earlier in my opening post.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions as to sources that anyone may have to offer.

(Next up ----Deco wall sconces for the FP and vintage or NOS hardware for the kitchen!)

Having read your most recent post, please feel free to respond via private message as it sounds like we should talk away from the forum.

Thank you

Well, I have a couple of boxes of those porcelain sconces in the cellar. Let me see what I can come up with. If I'm able to find something that you like it will be much less expensive than the stuff from Portland.

Are you planning to do a ceiling fixture in addition to sconces? Or an exhaust fan? A common modern bathroom exhaust fan can be very nicely hidden behind an antique heating register, you know. As far as kitchen hardware is concerned, check out Kennedy Hardware. Their stuff is pretty accurately made, holds up well, and offers quite a good value. The plated stamped "bean latches" which they sell are just like the originals. The rather expensive, heavy, cast latches offered by some other suppliers, Rejuvenation included, are very nice indeed, but would have been used only in commercial or industrial settings, and they are five times the cost of the stamped product.

An update on the cat saga. The cat is out of the basement, finally! I called a professional trapper, after the cat got out of my trap again last night. Turned out, the cat had his own plan! I went to check on the trap at around 9:00 pm, I went in through the front door, left it open as usual, the screen door, doesn't latch. Then I opened the basement door, which opens outwards to the down stairs. Suddenly, here comes the cat by me, I almost do a head plant down the stairs, I then I hear a lot of racket as the cat runs around the house, I quickly close the basement door, since I didn't want him going back down there. When I got my composure back, I went into the kitchen and heard a lot of commotion at the front door, the cat forced his way by the screen door and was gone! So, in the end, it was his decision not mine, a mini Great Escape! I wonder how long he was planing that?

And he didn't let the door hit him.....:p Good riddance and now you have your basement back. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Well congrats on that. Now get to work on that pee smell.

Fgradowski your parents have an awesome home. You were fortunate to grow up there.

Yes, tomorrow late afternoon, I will vacuum up some dirt and other things, then a good wash with vinegar. I will let that dry a couple of days, and see how things smell. I will probably buy a couple of jugs of Nature's Miracle, even if things smell good, couldn't hurt!

Yes, my sentiments exactly!

Good! Now I need to catch the damned racoons who have been digging up my lawn!
0002018E.gif

If I get my sights on them.....
gatling_gun.gif

Yeah....better to get the sights on them. You sure don't want to catch one.

Some years back, a raccoon had taken up residence in a building under construction that I was working on. One day one of the other plumbers opened up a cabinet and it was in there. This ultra macho backwoods steel worker decided to show everyone what a badass he was, he put on a pair of welder's gloves and reached in and grabbed the coon. LOL LOL. They had to call the paramedics on the dumbass.

Some years back, a raccoon had taken up residence in a building under construction that I was working on. One day one of the other plumbers opened up a cabinet and it was in there. This ultra macho backwoods steel worker decided to show everyone what a badass he was, he put on a pair of welder's gloves and reached in and grabbed the coon. LOL LOL. They had to call the paramedics on the dumbass.

:rofl:
Yeah, I know how that goes. We had a coon in our house some years back. I tried a very similar tactic, with fencing mask (like that would help). Long story short, we called in Animal Control. The house smelled like a barn for months. Nasty little boogers. Better than rats, though.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Good! Now I need to catch the damned racoons who have been digging up my lawn!
0002018E.gif

If I get my sights on them.....
gatling_gun.gif

All I know is, one more week of that cat, and this would have been me! [video=youtube;R5yCwN7wymc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5yCwN7wymc[/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have a family of skunks living under my garage -- and I never have to worry about beetles getting in the house or eating my plants. As long as I don't bother them, they don't bother me. Another benefit is that the coons seem to be scared of them.

We have a huge one living under my neighbor's shed. Can smell it during the day when I'm out in the garden. I've seen it a few times, but never in my yard since I started using grub killer. I "have to have" a good looking yard in the suburb I live in. I don't mess with animals that can resort to chemical warfare. My big battles have been with raccoons. Hate those things. They have done all kinds of damage to the house trying to take up residence inside. A couple of them might have got "lead poisoning" trying. But they keep coming back. Sometimes in twos and threes. All my friends laugh at me and ask me if any of the "Vietcoons" (Vietcong) came over the wire (fence) last night. That picture someone posted on the observation thread with all the raccoons is my worst nightmare. I swear my yard is the set for "Mutual Omaha's Wild Kingdom"!

My dog would like to get ahold of them. They cower in fear of Zeus. :p I can't leave him in the front yard overnight though as it is not fenced in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner