Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I woke up this morning with a dark brown taste in my mouth. Bleah.

Brown is a good color for shoes, though. And I do like dark brown varnished woodwork. And even the St. Louis Browns. But brown walls would make me feel like I was living inside a Hershey bar.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Brown is a good color for shoes, though. And I do like dark brown varnished woodwork. And even the St. Louis Browns. But brown walls would make me feel like I was living inside a Hershey bar.

The Color Brown is a serious, down-to-earth color signifying stability, structure & support. It is the color of security, protection & material wealth.
And most of all it covers dirt. :D

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=ZH-wksxGyD_DzUcPoue67g&bvm=bv.83640239,d.aWw

I woke up this morning with a dark brown taste in my mouth. Bleah.

Brown taste? :eeek:

Yeah, shoes I can live with brown. Woodwork too. :p St. Louis Browns? I could live without those. :p

Hershey Bar! :rofl: It would scare the Hell out of me. "Did I die and go to the wrong place while I was sleeping?!"

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
We have all appointed her as such. Brown is a lousy color for anything.
Oh, I don't know.
014223.jpg

brownstone-002.jpg

brown_recluse2.jpg

O. K. Perhaps we could do without No. 3!

Last edited:
Oh, I don't know.
View attachment 22743

View attachment 22744

View attachment 22745

O. K. Perhaps we could do without No. 3!

I can do without 1 and 2 as well. The car research people tell us that green and brown are the lowest selling colors for cars.
Makes sense as you really can’t sell a drab green or brown car faster than you can the same one in red, yellow, blue or black. Thank God the 70s are over and those “earth tone” colors are now on the back burner-----where they should always stay.:p

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I can do without 1 and 2 as well. The car research people tell us that green and brown are the lowest selling colors for cars.
Makes sense as you really can’t sell a drab green or brown car faster than you can the same one in red, yellow, blue or black. Thank God the 70s are over and those “earth tone” colors are now on the back burner-----where they should always stay.:p

I don't know but those colors sometimes have their place: green_livingroom_350.jpg

0726MasterBedroom1RFS5602-filtered.jpg

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I can’t help you there.
That last house with the 70s green exterior is REALLY bad.

'70's green?

'70's GREEN?

That house has been painted that particular shade of green since it was built.

In 1912.

When I had it reprinted I even used a modern linseed oil paint which used the same chrome green and lampblack pigments found in the original coating. It fits well into its landscape, set in a grove of hickory trees, and looks as its architect, George Washington Maher, designed it.

Last edited:
'70's green?

'70's GREEN?

That house has been painted that particular shade of green since it was built.

In 1912.

When I had it reprinted I even used a modern linseed oil paint which used the same chrome green and lampblack pigments found in the original coating. It fits well into its landscape, set in a grove of hickory trees, and looks as its architect, George Washington Maher, designed it.

The 70s had to come from some place. 1912 is as good as any. :p

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I love the house to the right of you there.

Yes, it was lovely. Once. It is a large Dutch Colonial, designed by the Hubble and Benes firm, which was once quite attractive, with rough-cast in it's natural hue covering th first storey and shingles dipped in oil and lampblack the second, with crisp white trim highlighted with rich green accents. The last owner had the whole thing spray-painted white, inside and out in a failed attempt to modernize it. The rough stucco and stone trim looked like just so much styrofoam. Have you ever seen cobble-work that 's been painted? Looks a bit like Bibendum. The shingles, well they just looked dirty. The interior lost most of its definition when the walnut, maple and birch woodwork and the plaster were alike slathered in layers of thick flat white latex paint.

But it was "modern" and looked just great with her 1980's black lacquer furniture and " Memphis" accents.

The current grey and white color scheme is a great improvement, but pales next to the original.

Houses in this period were generally colored to blend with their surroundings, not to jump up and down screaming "It's Me! It's ME!". Some Colonial Revival homes were picking up on variants of the Federal yellow and white or the Greek Revival white with green blinds, but with these exceptions stand-out color schemes were considered to be in rather poor taste. As Sir Joshua Reynolds used to say; "If you would fix upon the best colour for your house, turn up a stone, or pluck up a handful of grass by the roots, and see what is the colour of the soil where the house is to stand, and let that be your choice."

Now the the brick house to the left is a real gem, a fine, fully developed Prairie School design by Thomas E. Tallmadge, which has been lovingly restored by folks who well know just what a gem they have. I suffer from extreme house envy in their case.

Of course, the lighter colors are more appropriate to the land of sun, sky and open vistas, and so they have always been favored in Californa.

Last edited:
Yes, it was lovely. Once. It is a large Dutch Colonial, designed by the Hubble and Benes firm, which was once quite attractive, with rough-cast in it's natural hue covering th first storey and shingles dipped in oil and lampblack the second, with crisp white trim highlighted with rich green accents. The last owner had the whole thing spray-painted white, inside and out in a failed attempt to modernize it. The rough stucco and stone trim looked like just so much styrofoam. Have you ever seen cobble-work that 's been painted? Looks a bit like Bibendum. The shingles, well they just looked dirty. The interior lost most of its definition when the walnut, maple and birch woodwork and the plaster were alike slathered in layers of thick flat white latex paint.

But it was "modern" and looked just great with her 1980's black lacquer furniture and " Memphis" accents.

The current grey and white color scheme is a great improvement, but pales next to the original.

Houses in this period were generally colored to blend with their surroundings, not to jump up and down screaming "It's Me! It's ME!". Some Colonial Revival homes were picking up on variants of the Federal yellow and white or the Greek Revival white with green blinds, but with these exceptions stand-out color schemes were considered to be in rather poor taste. As Sir Joshua Reynolds used to say; "If you would fix upon the best colour for your house, turn up a stone, or pluck up a handful of grass by the roots, and see what is the colour of the soil where the house is to stand, and let that be your choice."

Now the the brick house to the left is a real gem, a fine, fully developed Prairie School design by Thomas E. Tallmadge, which has been lovingly restored by folks who well know just what a gem they have. I suffer from extreme house envy in their case.

Of course, the lighter colors are more appropriate to the land of sun, sky and open vistas, and so they have always been favored in Californa.
The gray and white exterior works for me. Painting woodwork is just stupid. You don’t paint woodwork unless it is really, really screwed up---even then you can fix it. painting stone trim is pretty stupid too because it looks as you said.
Black lacquer furniture? Hmmmmm
What color was it before? Black? :p
Out here there are some pretty boring colors. The neighbor’s Brown barn. My neighbor’s stupid melon and gray mansion. :doh: The other houses are mostly white with different tones of trim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner