Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Giftmacher

One Too Many
I knew there was something missing..
IMG_0170.jpg

redlinerobert

One of the Regulars
The wife and I acquired this restaurant/wine tasting property in San Juan Bautista a few years ago. We are in process of rehabbing the property back into a wedding reception/private event/ locale. We are directly next door to the mission in San Juan Bautista. We expect to be booking events for the summer and beyond. The barrel is at the Mission entrance to the property, and the view is from the patio.

20180302_152017_resized.jpg
95890943987c41dfabd29be4cc003cc8.jpg

The wife and I acquired this restaurant/wine tasting property in San Juan Bautista a few years ago. We are in process of rehabbing the property back into a wedding reception/private event/ locale. We are directly next door to the mission in San Juan Bautista. We expect to be booking events for the summer and beyond. The barrel is at the Mission entrance to the property, and the view is from the patio.

View attachment 109370 View attachment 109371
Love it! Thats awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Well, we are papering most of the house. So car have completed six of the rooms. Terry, our painter, is papering the two parlors just now. The color is a trifle fluffy for my taste, but I believe that the pattern on the walls makes the rooms a bit cozier and less sterile.

Of course the furnishings are stacked higgelty-piggely whilst the work is finished. I managed to buy out a fairly large selection of dead stock papers, some of which date back to the 1920s for a negligable figure, and so can afford this sort of work for once.

IMG_20180409_7593.jpg

IMG_20180409_41632.jpg

Last edited:

3fingers

One Too Many
^^^ Very nice. I am at present attempting to persuade my wife to consider papering a couple of rooms. I have access to some very nice NOS rolls of paper. She is resisting.

Well, we are papering most of the house. So car have completed six of the rooms. Terry, our painter, is papering the two parlors just now. The color is a trifle fluffy for my taste, but I believe that the pattern on the walls makes the rooms a bit cozier and less sterile.

Of course the furnishings are stacked higgelty-piggely whilst the work is finished. I managed to buy out a fairly large selection of dead stock papers, some of which date back to the 1920s for a negligable figure, and so can afford this sort of work for once.

View attachment 113801

View attachment 113802
That looks great V. I always thought wallpaper got a bad wrap, and maybe deservedly so after the 70s and 80s, but I grew up with it in my parents house. We plan to wallpaper a few rooms and/or walls in the near future.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm packing and moving from my 1920's Craftsman to an all new place with one fewer bedroom and no basement. It's much nicer--everything works! (and will actually save money to live there)
But getting rid of stuff quickly is pretty sad. I'm selling off furniture at token prices and earmarking the rest for a church raffle donation. Time to shed all this crap.
You quickly discover the things no one else wants. All these stupid Hallmark "collectable" pedal cars. Grandmother's dishes. Knick knacks.
But I'll have functional plumbing, a working dishwasher, no more yard upkeep, etc.

I'm packing and moving from my 1920's Craftsman to an all new place with one fewer bedroom and no basement. It's much nicer--everything works! (and will actually save money to live there)
But getting rid of stuff quickly is pretty sad. I'm selling off furniture at token prices and earmarking the rest for a church raffle donation. Time to shed all this crap.
You quickly discover the things no one else wants. All these stupid Hallmark "collectable" pedal cars. Grandmother's dishes. Knick knacks.
But I'll have functional plumbing, a working dishwasher, no more yard upkeep, etc.

I love Craftsman houses, but living in a 90 year old apartment building myself, I well understand the challenges of old structures. You sound happy to be moving, so I'm happy for you. Best of luck to you in your new home.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family

As romantic of an idea it is to live in a 1920's home, particularly of that type, I can fully understand where you're coming from. Sometimes, it's just not worth it to deal with all of the associated issues that come with living in a home of that vintage (or living in your own home, at all, for that matter). It sounds like this move will make life much easier for you and therefore much for enjoyable. That's what it's all about isn't it? Life is short, enjoy it. Good for you and all my best!

- Ian

As romantic of an idea it is to live in a 1920's home, particularly of that type, I can fully understand where you're coming from. Sometimes, it's just not worth it to deal with all of the associated issues that come with living in a home of that vintage (or living in your own home, at all, for that matter). It sounds like this move will make life much easier for you and therefore much for enjoyable. That's what it's all about isn't it? Life is short, enjoy it. Good for you and all my best!

- Ian
I have to have AC. Yeah, I'm that guy [emoji14]

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Here are some photos of a non-vintage home. A new resident in one of the cottages in the lakeside recreational community (we call them cottages, but they are really trailers with lean-to additions) which we own wanted to upgrade his place. I removed the dark 1960s panelling, replaced it with dry wall, and moved the kitchen to the little used rear of the lean-to addition. This allowed me to install a large triple window on the lakeside end of their cottage, giving them both a view and a 24'×12' living room.

20180226_184711__1526958173_31477.jpg

The resident's wife is a fan of Chip and Joanna Gaines' show on HGTV (shudder) and so I built up the cabinets and counters in their style. Naturally there was both reclaimed lumber and subway tile involved. Not quite to my taste, and in no way of any era but 2018, but I believe that the job turned out rather well.

20180521_173328__1526958210_84842.jpg
20180521_173422__1526958292_13715.jpg
20180521_173411__1526958335_31785.jpg

Here are some photos of a non-vintage home. A new resident in one of the cottages in the lakeside recreational community (we call them cottages, but they are really trailers with lean-to additions) which we own wanted to upgrade his place. I removed the dark 1960s panelling, replaced it with dry wall, and moved the kitchen to the little used rear of the lean-to addition. This allowed me to install a large triple window on the lakeside end of their cottage, giving them both a view and a 24'×12' living room.

View attachment 119760

The resident's wife is a fan of Chip and Joanna Gaines' show on HGTV (shudder) and so I built up the cabinets and counters in their style. Naturally there was both reclaimed lumber and subway tile involved. Not quite to my taste, and in no way of any era but 2018, but I believe that the job turned out rather well.

View attachment 119761 View attachment 119762 View attachment 119763

Very nice looking work - well done. And, as you note, 2018 overall for sure, but the white subway-ish tiles, wood counters, clean lines and simple iron shelf brackets echo an early 1900s "back of the house" kitchen from the mansions of that day.

This one from one of the Newport mansions for example:
c6974a465295c1f782e896a32f41b5a3.jpg

View attachment 119760

View attachment 119761 View attachment 119762 View attachment 119763
Simple and clean. You did excellent looking work. It looks great. Sometimes we have to do not what we want, but what the "customer" wants. Either way, its very nice man. Cheers!

By the way, moving the kitchen to get that view, genius.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's something I think is interesting. This old crate has been at the house for a long time. My aunt used to have it covered with some cloth, but the covering finally wore out. She used the crate (like I still do) as a storage unit.

Anyone have a general idea of the age of this crate? Also, I want to protect the advertisement on the top. Any suggestions as the best way to do that?

FB_IMG_1530147058892.jpg
FB_IMG_1530147065141.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112