Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Definitely hitting the Like button

bettydarling said:
Hi all, I've been busy doing some decorating over the past few weeks, my folks have a 1930s home with lots of quirky little features, one of which is this Alico range/stove I did a little paint job on it, heres the before and after on it! Originally it was matt black unlike the enamel 30s one on the link above, then it was painted with gloss green which aged considerably and took all the light out of the already dark kitchen, so I think/hope this is a more fitting update which accommodates some lovely vintage china and glass.

August%20003.jpg

August%20043.jpg

Theres some more images of some other vintage-inspired DIY projects on my blog
Looks great love that blue looks kind of periwinkle in the picture.

Mav

A-List Customer
bettydarling said:
Hi all, I've been busy doing some decorating over the past few weeks, my folks have a 1930s home with lots of quirky little features, one of which is this Alico range/stove I did a little paint job on it, heres the before and after on it! Originally it was matt black unlike the enamel 30s one on the link above, then it was painted with gloss green which aged considerably and took all the light out of the already dark kitchen, so I think/hope this is a more fitting update which accommodates some lovely vintage china and glass.

August%20003.jpg

August%20043.jpg

Theres some more images of some other vintage-inspired DIY projects on my blog
Great stove and surround treatment. That'd work well in cottage- type style over here. Functional?

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
Land-O-LakesGal said:
Looks great love that blue looks kind of periwinkle in the picture.

Thank you! I just need to re-do the tiles now and it will be all done. love the blue myself, I used acrylic wood & metal paint, but mixed some acrylic art paints in to the existing cream to get the right blue.

Thanks Marv - The actual stove itself is kaput unfortunately,they can be restored, but its not something one would use everyday, though I'd say it would make a mean soda bread! We do use the black wood-burning stove which is great, it can be used as back boiler to heat your water if you have a back boiler in the fireplace already. It heats the room in a few minutes in Winter.

MissHannah

One Too Many
It's amazing to see all the enormous (to my british, city dwelling eyes) homes you have on the other side of the pond. I'm very envious. I love my rented little flat but I hope that one day I might be lucky enough to own a property and renovate it to match myself!

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
Foofoogal said:
Nice bettydarling. Blues are very popular currently.

that green stencil looked very Pennsylvania Dutch.

Thank you Foofoogal, your right, the design came from a pattern on a ceramic tile - I much prefer the blue though!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
MissHannah said:
It's amazing to see all the enormous (to my british, city dwelling eyes) homes you have on the other side of the pond. I'm very envious. I love my rented little flat but I hope that one day I might be lucky enough to own a property and renovate it to match myself!
With 60 million people squeezed into 84,600 square miles, that makes for a population density of 717 people per square mile. The US has 310 million in an area of 3.789 million square miles, and a density of about 76 per square mile. No wonder Britain is referred to as a "tight little island".
Hmmm . . . so for Australia it's: area: 2.9 million sq. mi. (close to the USA), population: 22.4 million, density: 7.3 people per square mile.
Ascending factors of ten from Australia to the US to the UK.
All OFF TOPIC, but interesting.

sportell

New in Town
Oooh... This is a dangerous thread. I'm already taking on tons between all my activities in our Medieval group and trying to replace my wardrobe with 30s and 50s clothes that I'm sewing. Now I'm looking for furniture plans. I work in the Arts & Crafts store on our base (also a dangerous place to work. I have to be careful not to spend my whole paycheck at work) and we have a pretty good woodshop there. So making furniture for our house is not outside the realm of possibility. Hmmm... maybe I should not tell my Fella of my future plans until I finish my present ones. He may have a stroke. :)

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
kampkatz said:
Lovely collection. What kind of animal pelts are those on the chair and table? We have some mink, sable, fox and bear(about 200 years old).

Thanks you. We are jam packed into our home and relocating. lol
Those are Mink.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I was a little too groggy to get photos but here's what happened in our vintage home last night:

At about 3:30AM, I was partially awakened by a couple of our cats scrambling into the bedroom and pouncing on the bed - and me. I also sort of felt something small bounce off my shoulder and 'flap' onto the bed right between my gal and me. Then, I heard this odd 'chipchipchipchip...' sound right next to me, so I leaned up on one elbow and in the darkened room, without benefit of my glasses, I could see we had a BAT laying spread-eagle right there on the bed!!

Little sucker was about 6" from wingtip to wingtip. I don't know how he got in, but I suspect the cats pursued him into the bedroom as he flew near the ceiling, and then without being able to effectively 'read' the ceiling fan with his sonar, was struck by one of it's paddles.

Before he could regain his senses I placed a pillow over him and then got a T-shirt to sort of net him so I could carry him downstairs. Out in front of the house, I opened it up and he took a couple of those creepy, crawling kind of steps bats do and then he flew away into the night with hopefully no more than a little headache.

That's a crazy story, Gene!

rue

The house was built in 1907. My grandparents bought the place in 1917, and the family has been there ever since.

This is a shot from the front.

Front.jpg

View from the side. The bathroom (that slant roof part at the rear of the house) was added by my grandfather around 1920. It was built on the back porch (makes for a fast trip there and back in the winter).

Side.jpg

The "front room" is used for company only. The old organ belonged to my great grandmother.

FrontRoom.jpg

The furniture in the front room was bought about 1923. It still has the original finish and upholstery.

FrontRoom2.jpg

The oven in the kitchen is the "new oven" that replaced my grandmother's wood cook stove (much to her displeasure). For a number of years this oven sat on the back porch before she gave in and let it be put in the house. It's a late 1940's model Hotpoint, and still works fine.

Kitchen-2.jpg

Old iron bed with a real springs (not "box springs"). The night stand is marked on the back with the freight weighbill "deliver to Brown & Padget, Nebo, NC". My grandfather and his brother-in-law operated a store in Nebo from about 1914 to 1924. Evidently, they ordered a lot of the furniture and had it shipped in by train. There are a number of pieces in the house with this kind of marking still visible.

MainRoom2.jpg

The house is heated primarily by two fireplaces. About 20 years ago my aunt had a couple baseboard electric heaters added in the bedroom and kitchen to "take the chill off", but the old coal burning fireplace remains as the primary heat source. There's nothing like the smell of coal smoke on a cold, damp winter day to remind you of what "vintage living" is all about.

MainRoom3.jpg

Big Man,
I know this post is from 2007, but I just had to comment before I went on. I am in love with your home and the story. You are incredibly lucky to still have this in your family and live in it, but I'll bet you know that ;)

To everyone else... all your homes are so wonderful and unique to each person. I'm really loving this post. I can't believe I just found it! Off to see more......

rue

Here are some snaps of the bathroom in our new place here... it's 40s I'd say.

newbathroom.jpg

newbathroom2.jpg

newbathroom3.jpg

newbathroom5.jpg

mewbathroom4.jpg

The light fixtures at the mirror are replacements... but, look ok for now till we find the correct ones... the landlord is excited to put whatever we want in there that's period. The tub, toilet, sink are original and so is the tile. At one time someone put those 80s fixtures in the tub and had to put non correct matching green tile in around them... and the shower is the same way... but, our landlord has said he can get the tile and will replace it correctly and we're keeping our eyes out for correct faucets and knobs.

More photos are to come. It's a charming little place... the car even has a garage now and I'll take some photos of that too for fun.

Stay tuned.

I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but before I read on and forget... You can usually date a bathroom by looking under the toilet tank lid for a date stamp. I couldn't figure out the last year our bathroom was remodeled until I found 1951 on ours, after someone told me that odd fact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points