Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
Hi.

What "Key pieces" are you looking for, exactly?

To be honest our apartment is very small so just small touches here and there such as photo frames, a mirror, lamps, clocks, radios, ornaments, delft, soft furnishings and framed (or unframed) images. I have to admit I'm not overly familiar with vintage homewares, but I am willing to take any suggestions. Hoping to head over to London early next year where we should be able to pick up a few things.

Thanks for the reply btw

HarlowQueen

New in Town
These are just a few photos from my bedroom. Every time I step foot in my room, I feel so pleased with the work I've done in my room and just a general feeling of piece and well being. I would spend every waking moment in there, if I could.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do :)

6120_246024885112_528125112_8382705_3804184_n.jpg

The view through the foot of my bed.

6120_246024920112_528125112_8382709_4636162_n.jpg

The lovely ladies around my record shelf.

6120_246024955112_528125112_8382714_4308224_n.jpg

A 24"x36" framed photo of my Husband, right beside the head of my bed.

n528125112_6802084_3714116.jpg

The lovely bed I keep referring to.

n528125112_6802085_3695131.jpg

Another of my lovely bed and beautiful record player in the far left corner.

Annnnd a random one from Halloween I just thought you guys might appreciate (Sorry, lol it's not THAT great, but I was proud none the less!)
73121_10150303902645113_528125112_15653560_828014_n.jpg

(Just in case it is too badly carved for you to tell, it's my husband Clark Gable :) )

HarlowQueen

New in Town
Haha, aww! We'll have to figure out a schedule... How's about I take Monday, Wednesday and Friday and you can have the other 4 days?

You know what is funny about that big framed photo? My mother and I have our "secret spot" thrift store we always go to and always find amazing little things at and on all walls of this lovely little place are tons and tons of old original rock posters and tons of Jimmy Dean's and Marilyn Monroe's and despite the fact we have been loyal (like once or twice a week type loyal) for about 9 years now, they will NEVER sell anything off the walls. EVER. And I've personally seen people offer them a mint for some of the stuff on the walls. Well anyways, this lovely Gable used to hang right behind the counter and I tried and tried many a time to attain it and to no avail. Then one day, it was just gone from the wall. I was DEVESTATED. So we puttered around the store and came across a stack of framed photos and paintings and we dug around a bit and what did we find, but Clark himself in all his glory! There was a masking tape price tag that said $20 and thanks to my mother and her wonderful haggling ability, I walked out with the photo I lusted after for only $12.

:)

Adorn

New in Town
I've pretty much looked through all 123 pages of this thread! There are amazing homes here! I'm in love! I only have a few pictures with my apartment. It's not golden era though it was built around 1915. It retains a lot of it's original details, though the kitchen was redone in the 50's.

Some of you have peeked at my blog, I believe, and those are all crossposted there, but since someone suggested this post, here goes :) I'll try to get a few good shots of each room in the upcoming days.

IMG_7102 by Elizabeth.Royal, on Flickr

Stove top...with the daily loaf of home made bread and my modest collection of insulators.

IMG_7101 by Elizabeth.Royal, on Flickr

Dining room window - I made that curtain myself :) and the mixing bowl on the window sill is my great, great, great grandmother's mixing bowl from the 1880s...

IMG_7099 by Elizabeth.Royal, on Flickr

Living room windows. Those denim-ey striped curtains are the ones that came with the house. I'm replacing them as fast as my fingers can sew. The zinc bucket holds a collection of turn of the century saws and a trowel, and the portrait is some random one I thrifted.

IMG_7096 by Elizabeth.Royal, on Flickr

I have a tack board of black and white photos...the two mid fifties little girls are my mom, my grandma is the women on the bottom getting into the car, and grandpa is the dashing navy officer doing a magic trick.

IMG_7083 by Elizabeth.Royal, on Flickr

That's the kitchen update...woah, modern! It's such a happy room!

IMG_7076 by Elizabeth.Royal, on Flickr

Christmas decor - put up just for kicks :) They're not vintage, but they're vintage inspired!

IMG_7068 by Elizabeth.Royal, on Flickr

and the bath/shower changer. Flip the handle over and it says "shower" and voila! The shower turns on! Fancy!

rue

Haha, aww! We'll have to figure out a schedule... How's about I take Monday, Wednesday and Friday and you can have the other 4 days?

You know what is funny about that big framed photo? My mother and I have our "secret spot" thrift store we always go to and always find amazing little things at and on all walls of this lovely little place are tons and tons of old original rock posters and tons of Jimmy Dean's and Marilyn Monroe's and despite the fact we have been loyal (like once or twice a week type loyal) for about 9 years now, they will NEVER sell anything off the walls. EVER. And I've personally seen people offer them a mint for some of the stuff on the walls. Well anyways, this lovely Gable used to hang right behind the counter and I tried and tried many a time to attain it and to no avail. Then one day, it was just gone from the wall. I was DEVESTATED. So we puttered around the store and came across a stack of framed photos and paintings and we dug around a bit and what did we find, but Clark himself in all his glory! There was a masking tape price tag that said $20 and thanks to my mother and her wonderful haggling ability, I walked out with the photo I lusted after for only $12.

:)

What a great story! It was meant to be :)

Oh and it's a deal. I'll take the four days ;)

Mark D

One of the Regulars
At Rue's prodding a few weeks ago I went off and took some pictures of our living room. As I get around to it I'll add additional rooms. Btw, Rue...your home is stunning. You have a terrific eye and feel for your space.

24528dce.jpg

65ff5f11.jpg

ae4fb6fd.jpg

You get a glimpse into the kitchen from this one:
7a327a84.jpg

1d1f355c.jpg

rue

At Rue's prodding a few weeks ago I went off and took some pictures of our living room. As I get around to it I'll add additional rooms. Btw, Rue...your home is stunning. You have a terrific eye and feel for your space.

24528dce.jpg

65ff5f11.jpg

ae4fb6fd.jpg

You get a glimpse into the kitchen from this one:
7a327a84.jpg

1d1f355c.jpg

I thought I had scared you off with my begging Mark lol

I'm glad I didn't because your home is incredible! I kept saying 'Oh my God' with every picture. Every single detail is perfect and the fireplace.... holy smokes! Thank you for sharing your home and for the sweet compliments :) I can't wait to see more.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Amazing, Rue. Makes me miss my house. Been a year now, and living in an apartment seriously limits home decorating potential. Although my ex at the time hated all of my decorating ideas except the kitchen, for which we both agreed on 30's French design, I was able to decorate my office as 30's/40's library, while hers was Grecko-Roman...the living room was Victorian.....it was a hodge-podge of ideas.

Once the new year comes, I'll be looking at ways to decorate my apartment. If anyone has any recommendations for non-permanent decoration, please let me know :)

rue

Amazing, Rue. Makes me miss my house. Been a year now, and living in an apartment seriously limits home decorating potential. Although my ex at the time hated all of my decorating ideas except the kitchen, for which we both agreed on 30's French design, I was able to decorate my office as 30's/40's library, while hers was Grecko-Roman...the living room was Victorian.....it was a hodge-podge of ideas.

Once the new year comes, I'll be looking at ways to decorate my apartment. If anyone has any recommendations for non-permanent decoration, please let me know :)

Oh that's not my house, it's Mark D's home. Mine is a couple of pages back.

I'm sorry about the loss of your home, but at least now you can decorate the way you want ;)

As far as help, when I think of a man's apartment in the 40s, I see leather and dark wood. The best investment you can make is in furniture, because you can take it with you. For example a chair like this would be perfect....

http://uhurufurniture.blogspot.com/2010/12/handsome-leather-chair-w-cat-scratches.html

Is that what you were thinking?

I went through this with my last girlfriend. My whole place is decorated in 50s/60s style, and she's into 1800's farmhouse, rustic type stuff. Maybe it's best she left lol.

MissMittens

One Too Many

Thank you, that's exactly it. I couldn't decide how to decorate my office, which had the wide plank wood flooring typical of that era, but I eventually decided on an almost chocolate faux leather wallpaper at the bottom, as sort of wainscoting, with a light brown two tone diamond paper above, and a vintage style map as a border between the two. Then I added thin crown moulding, and took out the shades and installed actual drapes. In the office, I had a modern leather swivel chair, and a 1930's desk, and a 30's vintage dresser that I used as drawers for papers and tools/radio parts, and had some of my tabletop radios and other period display pieces.

Not sure how much you can see, but it's the wall visible behind the radio rack:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_05LCCEXN7oo/R6NpS_mbb3I/AAAAAAAAAAM/KlezYKPTzy0/s1600-h/rack.jpg

MissMittens

One Too Many
I went through this with my last girlfriend. My whole place is decorated in 50s/60s style, and she's into 1800's farmhouse, rustic type stuff. Maybe it's best she left lol.

Haha! Yes, I can't see that working at all. Mine was just far too, well, drunk, to be honest. Every day she'd want to re-arrange things, or want to re-decorate, but that wasn't really a problem, since she and I had our own "space" in our respective offices.

The only thing I don't forgive, is that she took my signed Hedy Lamarr portrait, and somehow my original Bunny Yaeger portrait of Bettie Page disappeared from the office wall one day. Miraculously, my Vargas and Elvgrens survived :)

rue

Thank you, that's exactly it. I couldn't decide how to decorate my office, which had the wide plank wood flooring typical of that era, but I eventually decided on an almost chocolate faux leather wallpaper at the bottom, as sort of wainscoting, with a light brown two tone diamond paper above, and a vintage style map as a border between the two. Then I added thin crown moulding, and took out the shades and installed actual drapes. In the office, I had a modern leather swivel chair, and a 1930's desk, and a 30's vintage dresser that I used as drawers for papers and tools/radio parts, and had some of my tabletop radios and other period display pieces.

Not sure how much you can see, but it's the wall visible behind the radio rack:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_05LCCEXN7oo/R6NpS_mbb3I/AAAAAAAAAAM/KlezYKPTzy0/s1600-h/rack.jpg

That looks nice! It sounds to me like you know what you want, but if you need help, post here and I or I'm sure any number of people would be glad to help :)

MissMittens

One Too Many
Apart from furniture, how about some sort of wall hanging? I'm not sure that it fits deco style, but if you know of anything that might work to break up white walls, I'm all ears

rue

If you're saying you like 30s/40s art deco....

Mirrors are always great. I like this one for you: http://www.modernism.com/prod_one.cfm?id=1928&srow1=0

I found it here: http://www.modernism.com/index.cfm

Great site for other things too.

After looking at your profile you might like these:
http://www.allposters.com/gallery.a...rch=wwII&CID=2847BD8391F54A0AB280A4699EA7B947

Clocks are great in every room. Here's one: http://www.echo-of-deco.co.uk/Echo of Deco green manhattan wall.htm

I know it isn't wall art, but while I was looking I came across this really great fan: http://www.thisnext.com/item/B542625A/Fitzgerald-Desk-Wall-Fan

Any of this work for you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran