Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

rue

This part explains so much about why people stopped taking care of or liking old houses:

Is it simple? (That is, are there few materials, few breaks or projections in the walls and roof, few applied decorations.)
Does it imitate some style of the past, such as Cape Cod, Georgian, Spanish, etc.? (If so, score 0.)
Does it have a number of quaint or “cute” features, such as cupolas, bird houses, scalloped valances, lamp posts, ox-yokes, wagon wheels, fences that do not enclose anything; and shutters that do not shut? (If so, score 0.) You will tire of these very soon and wish that the builder had spent the money on better plumbing, say, or more insulation.

Wow..... it's almost a pamphlet on what not to do when looking for a house.

The only thing I agree on is:

Is the neighborhood attractive?
Are the people you see the kind you would like to have as neighbors?
Do the streets curve occasionally? (Discourages through traffic and improves appearance.)

Thank you for the information Stray Cat! :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ladies and Gents - I don't want to rain on your parade, but 'please' try to focus on 'the title' of the thread, "SHOW US YOUR VINTAGE HOME."

As this is just drifting far too much, it dilutes the valuable content for readers and will need to be heavily pruned by Admin.

Thankyou :)

Last edited:

Warden

One Too Many
I think I would like to live in this town.

city12.jpg

But all is not as it appears.

city20.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
We don't have a vintage house yet - we're currently living in a rather uninspired mid-century ranch - but we've started building a craftsman inspired house of our own design on a heavily wooded (50'-80' Cedars) lot in Qualicum Beach here on the island. The exterior and interior woodwork will be milled from the trees that had to come down to make room for the house and the interior will incorporate our 40-year collection of vintage craftsman and art deco fixtures and hardware. At this point, the trees have been felled and milled on-site, the foundation excavation has been dug and the forms for pouring the foundation are in place and ready for the concrete (hopefully this week). If anyone is interested in following the construction, I'll start posting photos of the progress - so far I've shot 300-400 stills and about 3 hours of video (and no, fear not, I'm not going to post them all). Should I post the progress in this thread or start a separate thread?

Last edited:
We don't have a vintage house yet - we're currently living in a rather uninspired mid-century ranch - but we've started building a craftsman inspired house of our own design on a heavily wooded (50'-80' Cedars) lot in Qualicum Beach here on the island. The exterior and interior woodwork will be milled from the trees that had to come down to make room for the house and the interior will incorporate our 40-year collection of vintage craftsman and art deco fixtures and hardware. At this point, the trees have been felled and milled on-site, the foundation excavation has been dug and the forms for pouring the foundation are in place and ready for the concrete (hopefully this week). If anyone is interested in following the construction, I'll start posting photos of the progress - so far I've shot 300-400 stills and about 3 hours of video (and no, fear not, I'm not going to post them all). Should I post the progress in this thread or start a separate thread?

Wow. I vote for its own thread. Sounds like quite the undertaking, especially in this age of cookie-cutter houses and little if any regional variation.

Finish lumber milled on site. Wow, again.

Last edited:

Bugguy

Practically Family
I'm new to FL and have been enjoying the threads. Here's a picture of my house in Cincinnati and a second one with the three new chimney pots I had added last summer. This is 1923 Cotswold Tudor style.

Full.jpg

Pots.jpg

lolly_loisides

One Too Many

How exciting! I remember you talking about your plans when we last met. Please start a new thread & keep us up to date with the construction. How long are you planning the build to take? I bet you've designed lots of storage space :)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Bugguy, my parents have a Tudor built just a few years before yours. Yours looks lovely, but it made me homesick! :p

They don't actually love Tudor anywhere near as much as I do. I love how versatile it is. In their neighborhood you see a lot of beautiful Tudors from the teens and twenties - but in a huge range of sizes and a lot of different details. And it plays nicely with stone details, like yours, or brick, and not just running-bond brick, either. A lot of different rooflines. And of course you can change the feeling of all of it via painting the trim or the stucco. Or just the trim - there was a thing in their area from the Arts and Crafts period for a traditional dark on the half timbering and white or cream render - but with bright aqua/turquoise details for the doors and windows. It actually looks startlingly good, though I would understand if you were distrusting of that description.

Did you choose the colour pallette for yours or was it inheirited from the previous owner?

Just did a little configuring in my office. I've been using it just for restos and the place was a mess. I bought a computer yesterday, so I had to clean the place up so the room can be my 'mission control center' once again.

GEDC0016.jpg

GEDC0017.jpg

GEDC0019.jpg

GEDC0020.jpg

GEDC0021.jpg

Thanks, rue! Cozy's kinda my thing :)

It looks really cozy Tom :D

Yes it is, a 1964. I love that radio. Carried it up here, myself. Works great, except I haven't tried the turntable. It has no needle.

Is that a Magnavox Stereo Hi Fi record player I see there? Man does that bring back memories, everyone from Hank Williams to Jimi Hendrix had a spin on ours! I do miss it, wish my mother had not sold it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic