Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
We just got our first house and here it is all the pictures were taken by the previous owners. The few inside pictures I have were before I painted so please ignore the icky peanut butter color, I have changed all the colors to historically accurate colors. The house was built in 1925 so to me it's new (I grew up in a 200 year old house) and for my love it is very old.
our big pink (yes I said pink) house (we would have never picked it but they just did it last year)
home4.jpg

home3.jpg

In the snow
snow1.jpg

the door the milk man used to put the milk in back in the 30's and 40s
Milk_Door.jpg

the ice door, for the ice man to put the ice in you icebox it used to be outside now it is in my laundry room
Icebox_Door.jpg

the vintage thermostat
IMG_1583.jpg

1940s doorbell
1940sdoorbell.jpg

Last edited:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Okay, I admit I usually think pink only looks good in a very specific Miami-style pink stucco context, or on a Painted Lady, but that shade is so delicate it actually looks really good, especially in the snow pic.

Haha, thank you :) Or as my dad calls it 'Junior's yard in 10 years' lol

Love the pics, Tom! I especially like your screen saver. ;)

That makes you part of a large club who thinks the very same thing lol Every time a wagon comes up for sale locally, about 20 people have to let me know!

Whenever I see a station wagon like that on the street, I think of Tom!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In the "front room"of the old house is a footstool that's been there as long as I can remember. About 1970 or so one of my aunts covered the footstool with some blue polyester material. The other day I decided to take the blue cloth off ands see what kind of shape the covering was that I remembered from my childhood days.

DSC04423.jpg

To my surprise, the floral print that I remembered from 40 years ago was in excellent condition. I have no idea when this covering was put on the old footstool, but I cannot remember anything else but this cloth. As I inspected it closely, I noticed a hint of some other covering underneath. Well, my curiosity got the best of me and I started taking off the floral print cloth covering.

DSC06503.jpg

What I found underneath was this well-worn cloth. Also, I found that the footstool was made from a wooden packing box that was marked "McDowell Hardware Co. Marion, NC". My Grandfather worked at McDowell Hardware from the mid-1920's until his death in 1932, so it is a reasonable assumption that he was the one who made and covered this footstool sometime prior to 1932.

DSC06501.jpg

I would like to keep it with its "original" cover, but the old material is too fragile. I replaced the covering with the pre-1970 covering and will continue to use it that way. I recall hearing that my Grandfather was all the time making things from scraps from the hardware. There are a number of pictures in the house that he framed while working at the hardware that were made using pictures cut out from magazines or from advertising flyers. Knowing about this old footstool is just one more link to the past that I now have. There is always something interesting to be discovered with the old house.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The original covering is beautiful Big Man and I'm sorry it couldn't be saved, but the one you're going to use is lovely too :)

What a wonderful find!

I covered over the original, so in a way it is still "saved" for someone to find again in the future. I don't know when the second cover (the one I am using now) was put on, but I would guess some time in the late 1940's or early 1950's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes