Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Misslizzy I love the look of your apartment. I really like the mid-century style. I especially love your living room drapes!!! Are they vintage or repo?

misslizzy

New in Town
Vintage Hawaiian barkcloth... I went to the Green Bay Rockin' 50's event in 2005, visited a vintage mall there. I brought them home with me - risking the size - and they were meant to be. I didn't even rehem them, they were a perfect fit! I love it when that happens!

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
I've got another vintage home to show you. Boy, have I got a vintage home to show you!

Last night, I attended a meeting of a local Fort Worth discussion forum. The meeting was held at the Eddleman-McFarland house in downtown Fort Worth's Upper West Side neighborhood. I'll let fortwortharchitecture.com tell the tale:

"This home was built in 1899 on the high bluff overlooking the Trinity River. It was part of a neighborhood known as Quality Hill which featured large Victorian homes, owned mainly by Fort Worth's Cattle Baron Families. Only a small number of these homes remain today. The home was originally designed for Sarah Ball by Howard Messer of the firm Messer, Sanguinet, & Messer. William Eddleman purchased the house in 1904 shortly after Mrs. Ball passed away. Mr. Eddleman founded the Western National Bank in 1906 and it failed in 1913 (See Houston Place Lofts.) Eddleman's daughter, Carrie McFarland, lived in the home until her death in 1978 at the age of 99. In 1979, the home was purchased by the Junior League of Fort Worth. Historic Fort Worth, Inc. is now the owner of the home. In 2006, the organization also became the owner of Thistle Hill, another Cattle Baron mansion.

This Victorian Home displays some Queen Anne styling with brick, sandstone, and marble used on the exterior of the house. The elaborate interior features mahogany and oak mantles, cornices, coffered ceilings, paneling and parquet floors. The home is situated on the bluff overlooking the Trinity River. Tours are available of this home. The price is $2.50 for adults."

The meeting was held in the home's basement, where Historic Fort Worth, Inc. runs a resource center. After the meeting, we were given an in-depth tour of the home. These are the photos I took. Prepare for your jaw to hit the floor!

An exterior shot from fortwortharchitecture.com:
edmcext.jpg

Now, my photos:
edmc1.jpg

edmc2.jpg

edmc3.jpg

edmc4.jpg

edmc5.jpg

edmc6.jpg

edmc7.jpg

edmc8.jpg

edmc9.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Atomic that is my dream house, it has everything I like... sigh.........

If anyone wants to move and have a fixer upper, there are many, many homes in St. Joseph, MO much like that one. HUGE mansions, just fading away. And you can usually pick them up for a song. I wish I could buy every one of them!

MissLIzzy, love your apartment. And such healthy looking plants!

Nikki

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Atomic, those photos are absolutely wonderful! :) Such gorgeous, charismatic homes! I love scouting out the historic districts of every city I'm in, and I'm lucky enough to live in one in my own town. My favorite though is Summit Avenue in Minneapolis. Whenever I visit there, I have to make at least one trip down there, and one of my favorite things in the world is to walk leisurely along the street, pausing at each and every home along the way, and just trying to absorb all the character and history that is so much a part of the place. And of course, at the very end of the street, is the James J. Hill house, which is absolutely phenomenal.
exterior.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
Another vintage home restored

Posted on Fri, Feb. 16, 2007

The art-deco magnet
A couple were drawn from Washington to Philadelphia by the "house of our dreams," which they lovingly restored.
By Alan J. Heavens
Inquirer Real Estate Writer
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/magazine/daily/16709796.htm

The boxy white stucco house on Murdoch Road stands out in modern relief from its heavy-on-the-Colonial-Revival neighbors in East Mount Airy. But the exterior is only part of the story here.

Step inside to a world of classic art deco, re-created in minute detail over the last six years by homeowners John and Jeanne Cassells.\

Photographs here
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/...illy&start=2&component_title=&component_desc=

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Sweet Leilani said:
This is the adjoining bathroom. The pink tile is original; we changed a baby blue tile border to black 2 years ago. We added a tile floor and a pedestal sink to try to capture a more vintage feel than the 1960 original:

100_1437.jpg

100_1435.jpg

I adore that bathroom! Oh how cute!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Trickeration said:
I know my pics are in another thread somewhere else around here, but here they are again since this is a new thread and there are new people around since I last posted.

I absolutely love every single aspect of your house!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
MaryDeluxe said:
As a newbie in the FL I thought I would post some pics of my house. I bought my house 4 years ago as a foreclosure property. My little town house was built in 1949 but sadly was renovated sometime in the 80's. Damn those modern people! They took out those wonderful metal kitchen cabinets and replaced them with dark stained wood. What's a gal to do other then to buy a can of paint! I've been working hard but having lots of fun with my house. I'm a gal who likes bargins so most of my furnishings were purchased at auctions and estate sales which I have been going to for years.

I love it!

Rooster

Practically Family
Here's our humble abode. Mail order catalog house built in 1920.
P1010004.jpg

Here's the backside. We built the addition on about twelve years ago to use as my wife's art gallery.
a.jpg

Here's the dairy barn that was built the same time as the house. It's also a mail order barn. 36 milking stanshions.
b.jpg

I don't have any pictures of the inside, I'll see if I can take some in the next few days.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Question for those with vintage kitchens

This may be a bit :eek:fftopic: but I was wondering something.

If you have a vintage kitchen do you have a microwave?

Dalexs

Practically Family
Keep in mind that the microoven was invented in the mid 40's.
So it's not totally off topic.

This from Wikipedia

On October 8, 1945 Raytheon filed a patent for Spencer's microwave cooking process and in 1947, the company built the first microwave oven, the Radarange. It was almost 6 feet (1.8 m) tall and weighed 750 pounds (340 kg). It was water-cooled and consumed 3000 watts of power, and produced about three times the amount of radiation that today's microwave ovens do. An early commercial model introduced in 1954 generated 1600 watts and sold for $2,000 to $3,000. Raytheon licensed its technology to the Tappan Stove company in 1952. They tried to market a large, 220 volt, wall unit as a home microwave oven in 1955 for a price of $1,295, but it did not sell well. In 1965 Raytheon acquired Amana, which introduced the first popular home model, the countertop Radarange in 1967 at a price point of $495.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo