Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I can't be quite certain from that shot, but looks a lot like the classic American Four-square to me.

Close, Treetopflyer?

Its a simple, timeless design. Very nice and you can go in a lot of different directions with interior detailing, its kind of like a basic suit that gives you a wide range of accessories.

-Viola

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Thanks

I appreciate the info. The house for the most part is still original. My favorite room is the formal dinning room. The bad part is that since it was built in 1918 and it has had no additions to it, their is very limited closet space.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
DecoBelle, lovely pics (and nice to meet you by the way). A question: you know that wall light above your bed in the photo? Is there a place to get a table or floor lamp with that design?

Hi Doran, it was nice meeting you, too.

I'm sorry to say I don't know of any source making that style lamp in a table or floor model. I've wished & looked! I have a vintage table light that matches it & a floor version - found both at the Art Deco show in SF. I am addicted to these "Buck Rogers" lights. The ones in the wall are Rejuvination repros that I had to have custom made w/ an old style switch, as this house has no hard wiring..

47b7db24b3127cce839776f4a9a700000015100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Decobelle said:
Hi Doran, it was nice meeting you, too.

I'm sorry to say I don't know of any source making that style lamp in a table or floor model. I've wished & looked! I have a vintage table light that matches it & a floor version - found both at the Art Deco show in SF. I am addicted to these "Buck Rogers" lights. The ones in the wall are Rejuvination repros that I had to have custom made w/ an old style switch, as this house has no hard wiring..

47b7db24b3127cce839776f4a9a700000015100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Stunning lighting!
(check the SF Bay Meeting Thread, by the way: perhaps a quick drink at Bourbon and Branch in the Tenderloin this or next weekend. So far Lady Day, FedoraGent, and myself are interested)

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
fairmount27.jpg

A little followup on Fairmount. Here's a much better description, from the neighborhood's web site, for the curious:

"A brief history: Fairmount /Southside Historic District

The Fairmount/Southside Historic District is a remarkably intact neighborhood, representative of the early 20th-century streetcar suburb, with a diversity of house forms and related institutional and commercial properties.

Fairmount/Southside is situated on the near south side of Fort Worth, approximately two miles south of downtown. Boundaries of the area form a rectangle of about 375 acres (or 0.6 square mile). Fairmount was developed as a middle class residential area between 1890 and 1938, with the largest concentration of houses dating from 1905 to 1920. The predominate building type is the single-family residence, with wood frame bungalows being the most common configuration. Variations on the Four Square form are scattered throughout the District. Fairmount/Southside's grandest homes are concentrated in the eastern sections of the District and reflect a variety of stylistic influences. In the survey made as part of the nomination for National Register of Historic Places status, there were found to be 1,016 Contributing buildings, one Contributing structure and 425 Non-contributing buildings.

Growth in the District generally reflected proximity to downtown and transportation routes. The streets were established on a grid with elongated blocks running north and south bisected by alleyways. Streetcar lines ran along Magnolia, Fairmount, College and Hemphill Streets, defining growth patterns and areas of commercial development.

Although Fairmount/Southside contains parts of 22 subdivisions, the core area has a consistent, unified feeling. While variations in scale do appear, the dominant impression of Fairmount/Southside is of block upon block of small houses, closely spaced, with small front yards, set back from the street in constant rows. Garages were commonly constructed at the backs of lots, accessed by a narrow drive passing between houses from the street. Although alleyways were platted, few are open or in use. Shade trees occur in places throughout the District, but there is no regular pattern of landscaping. In places the collision of subdivisions creates a jog in the street or a shift in the street axes.

The earliest homes built in Fairmount/Southside reflect Victorian influences dominant in residential architecture throughout the turn of the century. Examples of Victorian architecture occur in the northern section between Henderson Street and Sixth Avenue. The move away from Victorian and
Queen Anne toward symmetry in the early 20th century is illustrated by the popularity of the Four Square in Fairmount/Southside. This form allowed for more substantial homes than the modest bungalow, Four Squares generally being two or two and one-half stories.

While Fairmount/Southside contains many large homes, it was predominantly a middle-class neighborhood where the modest bungalow was the most common house form. Some of the early Fairmount/Southside houses, particularly in the northern sector of the District, show the evolution of a bungalow merged with vestiges of a Queen Anne cottage. After this transitional style came the Arts & Crafts style bungalow with the exposed rafter tails or eave brackets that are this style’s main identifying elements.

With the great growth of Fairmount/Southside after 1905, apartment buildings became a significant element in the District. Two of the earliest apartment houses, both of three stories, are reminiscent of the “triple deckers” common in New England and the Midwest but unusual in this region. The Tudor Revival became a very popular style for apartment construction in Texas during the 1920s.

The district includes many early 20th century commercial buildings. Commercial buildings are clustered along Magnolia Avenue and Hemphill Street. Pockets survive along former streetcar routes, notably College Avenue and Jefferson Street, at the corner of Fairmount and West Allen Avenues, and on the north and south ends of College Avenue. Most are simple, one of two story Commercial style brick structures with storefront windows.

Fairmount/Southside contains quite varied examples of church and school architecture. The styles included Spanish Mission, Jacobean, Classical-influenced and Tudor Gothic."

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
DIY bathroom

I just finished my bathroom! My 1949 house was renovated in the early 80's and the original tile was taken out :( so, I did my best to try to recreate it! I did the tub area back in April and finished up the floor last week!
Here's a lovely before picture! hahaha
july10.jpg

Now on to the good stuff!

bathroomredo.jpg

bathroomredo1.jpg

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
Looks a thousand times better.
The tile that was there before reminds me of a DC metro station.

Thank you! I know that tile was so yucky!! The guy also put wood on the ceiling of the shower! Who does that? It was like showering in a tree stump!lol

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Here are a few interior shots of our humble abode......Brick ranch house, built in the late 50's....Nothing fancy but we love it! This was actually my grandparents home. They bought it in 1965 as they were nearing retirement age and wanted a ranch.

My grandparents left the house to me and it's really been my home since childhood.....Anyway, here are a few pics of the living and dining rooms. Will take shots of the rest of the house as well as the exterior soon.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
A few more....Including the bookcase in the living room. On it is a vintage Tobacco Jar that my grandfather brought home from England after WWII. And my Dingus replica.....Ahhh the mysterious Black Bird! Also in the bookcase is one of my prized possessions. A hand tinted photo of my Gram that she sent to my grandfather during the war....Had it framed using conservation materials......She wrote a little inscription on it to him, what memories!!!

Also, found this little colonial looking box that is a thermostat cover...Had to have that!!!

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
You'll have to excuse the La-Z-Boy chair in the living room. I lost my right leg to cancer in December, and that chair was an addition to the room shortly before my amputation. I needed someting like that to take my home chemo treatments in, post-surgery.

Not the prettiest thing, but hopefully, it won't be a permanent addition to the living room decor......Hope to be back on my "FOOT" soon, as am nearing the last of my chemo treatments.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
BJB...what a unique way to hide the thermostate!! Loving the leather sofa and the dark book case. Your house has a very rich, cozy feel to it! Never even noticed the LazyBoy! Thanks for sharing.

~Mary

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
MaryDeluxe said:
BJB...what a unique way to hide the thermostate!! Loving the leather sofa and the dark book case. Your house has a very rich, cozy feel to it! Never even noticed the LazyBoy! Thanks for sharing.

~Mary

Thanks, Mary....Much Appreciated!:)

J

JohnTheGreek

Well, it's definitely not from the "golden era", but it doesn't get more "vintage". :)

Cabin.jpg

J

JohnTheGreek

Oh, it snows just a bit. ;) It also gets down to -50C or lower on occasion. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic