Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
BJBAmerica said:
Also, found this little colonial looking box that is a thermostat cover...Had to have that!!!

This box reminds me of this box I made 15 years ago to mount a coffee grinder on for my wife. I never thought about covering a thermostat with it, but I wonder if it effects the operation of the thermostat?

P1000734.jpg

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Bud-n-Texas said:
This box reminds me of this box I made 15 years ago to mount a coffee grinder on for my wife. I never thought about covering a thermostat with it, but I wonder if it effects the operation of the thermostat?

P1000734.jpg

Hiya Bud....Cool looing box you have there. My box was actually made to fit over a thermostat...it has no bottom to it, so the themostat can accurately sense the room temp.

It sure add's a little "something" to our living room....We love it!

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
It is nice, the bottom of mine is open as well, but the back is solid. I guess I will leave well enough alone. :) I also made the mounting board for this juicer about the same time as the box. My wife is still happy with both, so I must have done well. :rolleyes:

P1000735.jpg

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MaryDeluxe said:
Mary Deluxe, can I be you? I love your house! My dad forbade the bringing in of any more furniture but I snuck the black and white stool (the one with the removable top) in a couple of years ago and it's in my sewing room, where he never went. :)
Everyone's houses look so nice. My house was built in 1920 and I can confidently say it has never suffered a renovation of any kind.

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
Antique store going out of business....

I was visiting my father this weekend in NJ, and we went to this antique store that is going out of business. They have all kinds of great vintage finds for house and home, a few dresses, hats, lots of jewlery, and knicknacks of all kinds.

For those interested, it is located in Upper Deerfield, NJ

The information is as follows:

Deerfield Village Antiques & Collectibles
1530 Highway 77 Upper Deerfield Twp, NJ
(856) 451-2143

And their hours are Th-Mo 10:30-5
Right now, almost everything is 40% off too.....

Lemme know if you are going, I can let you know of some other stores in the area to hit too.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine...You can't be me but you can come visit anytime...we'll go shopping!;) That's the type of house that I'll be looking for next, one that is original 40/50's and has not been touched! I'm lucky I get this weird collecting gene from my father who is also into auctions! He started taking me when I was a kid.

Goldwyn I've been told that style of clock comes in a variety of colors but so far I only have pink! It works great though!

Tinsletown you can add great colors of that era without painting. There's lots of great barkcloth fabrics out there to use for accent pillows and some of the designs are so cool they could be framed for wall art!

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
MaryDeluxe said:
Atomic Glee...Wow great place! I can't wait to see what you'll do to it when you move in. I hope you'll be posting pictures!

Thanks! I'll post pics once I get moved in and get it decorated a bit. I'm busy right now trying to pare down my belongings - I figure this is as good a time as any to try to get rid of stuff I no longer need or use.

Tinseltown asked me to post some more pictures of my house. Here you go Tinseltown, living room and dining area!;)

livingroom.jpg

Mary, just have to add another voice to the chorus saying how awesome your place is!

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
A couple of neat vintage homes from the Monticello neighborhood just outside downtown Fort Worth. First, an honest-to-goodness Googie house, with arched awnings out front and a zigzag awning in back:

1024099040_ddc6a6ca8a.jpg

1023235003_17aadf979c.jpg

Then, this painfully awesome Streamline Moderne house:

1023234185_332d859bf4.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
from the UK

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/property/article2185620.ece

THEY are at best dismissed as boring and at worst derided as naff, but the humble 1930s house is making a comeback. Unloved and unfashionable, 1930s houses have been selling at a discount compared with their more popular Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian neighbours. With the exception of the occasional Art Deco or Modernist gem, 1930s houses have a poor image. Buyers with money and choice have tended to opt for either period character or contemporary new-build, shunning homes built between the First World War and Second World War. Homeowners who did end up buying 1930s houses often admit that they were attracted by the price rather than the look.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The Interwar Homes

The point is that the 1930s homes particuarly the Art Deco/Art Moderne/Streamlined /P&O(Aussie name) style are modern houses rather than properties that hankered to the less technologically adept Victorian times. Even the plumbing and electrical work puts them at an advantage when renovating IMHO.

In Australia when we renovated an Edwardian 1920s home in the 1980s everything had to be authentic period finishes like brass Victorian ironmongery etc. This is regarded as being for the birds Down Under and now adaptable to the 21c type hardware is used and then superimposed on modern plumbing and bath fits out (aka the "wet room"). Use is made of stone type products to give the heritage feel rather than slavish adherence to older bath styles. In the kitchen the Smallbone look is dated and generally the modern family/kitchen rooms are fitted out in the sleek modern style or at most simple rustic style rather than Edwardian fake cabinetry.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
MaryDeluxe said:
Goldwyn I've been told that style of clock comes in a variety of colors but so far I only have pink! It works great though!

I have that same clock radio in beige- so we can count at least two of the colors here in the FL! :)

Mary, your house is fabulous! I want to go shopping with you- somewhere where I can get a cool lamp like those! :D

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Sweet Leilani said:
I have that same clock radio in beige- so we can count at least two of the colors here in the FL! :)

Mary, your house is fabulous! I want to go shopping with you- somewhere where I can get a cool lamp like those! :D

I also have it in beige. Must have been a popular model. :)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
MaryD: I see a Zenith console radio very similar to mine, and a 1951-ish looking probably Philco TV. Do they operate? The radio would be easy to fix, and you can get a SSTran AM3000 AM transmitter to send AM signals to it from any source (e.g. internet radio, CD's etc.) The TV is much trickier, but doable. Anyhow, the whole place is just fabulous! You've obviously put a lot of passion and energy into it.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
there's something about Mary .......

i think we all can agree...what a lady this girl is with passion, grace and style. Her home says Welcome and It's ME all over. Inside or outside. I can't wait for her next picture...i bet her dinner ware is even lovely...lol...

mark the shoeshine boy

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
MaryD: I see a Zenith console radio very similar to mine, and a 1951-ish looking probably Philco TV. Do they operate? The radio would be easy to fix, and you can get a SSTran AM3000 AM transmitter to send AM signals to it from any source (e.g. internet radio, CD's etc.) The TV is much trickier, but doable. Anyhow, the whole place is just fabulous! You've obviously put a lot of passion and energy into it.

Hi Dhermann,
Yes that is a Zenith console radio. I'm not sure of the year exactly as it comes from my BF's father side of the family. He has fond memories of getting his hands smacked by his father when he would try to play with the knobs as a child! The radio still works perfectly. His father took excellent care of it.
The 1949 Admiral TV is a different story. :( I found that on a junk pile at an auction house and paid 25 bucks for it. It was covered in mold and cobwebs, but the screen was still clear and free of cracks. The old men laughed at me as I hauled it out to my car. They said, "whatcha gonna do with that girly?" It cleaned up great and I found the original paperwork hidden inside it. It sadly began hissing and smoking when I plugged it in. The BF wants to gut it and put a small flat screen behind the glass. So far I haven't let him:D

Thank you for your lovely comments.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
shoeshineboy said:
there's something about Mary .......

i think we all can agree...what a lady this girl is with passion, grace and style. Her home says Welcome and It's ME all over. Inside or outside. I can't wait for her next picture...i bet her dinner ware is even lovely...lol...

mark the shoeshine boy

hahahalol There you go again...you are to kind. If only more people from the FL lived on my block! My neighbors all think I'm some kind of weird lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes