Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
killertomata said:
So many great looking rooms and things! I can't wait to get my new place situated.

I have a few pics of my new prewar apartment (duplex really) here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=376073#post376073

If anyone cares to look. We don't even have our couch where it will be yet, so maybe there will be more to come.

Oh WOW! The kitchen tile is wonderful. I've been debating about what to do with my kitchen as it is next on my list of DIY projects. Should I tile or use that really cool formica boomerang pattern for the countertops. When ever I see kitchens like this I want to tile! I'm glad things worked out for you! The universe can be an interesting place. I have always found when one door closes another one opens.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
MaryDeluxe said:
It sadly began hissing and smoking when I plugged it in. The BF wants to gut it and put a small flat screen behind the glass. So far I haven't let him:D

That could be just from dust burning on the tubes, that happened to me before. Just clean all the dust out and give it another try!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Here are a few photos of my new place I took today. Some of the space is a little empty because a)I'm still getting situated, and b)I'm on a student budget. All of the items were what I already had or were found at a thrift store.

These apartments were built in the 1930's.
And the best part? Rent is DIRT CHEAP. I wasn't originally looking for a vintage place, assuming that it would be expensive. The only place cheaper than this (by $10...) on my list was a tiny studio with a bed so close to the ceiling I couldn't sit on it, a moldy shower that the landlord wouldn't take care of, and no fridge. The choice was obvious.

Here goes!

Kitchen:
Picture006.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Living room-ish area:
Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Dining room-ish area:
Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Bedroom built-in armoire (sorry, the space really tight for taking a good shot):
Picture015.jpg

Built-in desk. I use it as a desk, but added a mirror to make it work as a vanity:
Picture010.jpg

Picture011.jpg

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
gluegungeisha said:
Here are a few photos of my new place I took today. Some of the space is a little empty because a)I'm still getting situated, and b)I'm on a student budget. All of the items were what I already had or were found at a thrift store.

These apartments were built in the 1930's.
And the best part? Rent is DIRT CHEAP.

Great floors and such lovely built ins!

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
MaryDeluxe said:
hahahalol There you go again...you are to kind. If only more people from the FL lived on my block! My neighbors all think I'm some kind of weird lol

mary...you're normal...the rest of PA is wierd.....lol lol lol

leaette

A-List Customer
gluegun: i'm totally into your built-ins! very jealous. my house was built in 49. i don't have any built-ins. :(
my fav is your vanity.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
FIRE HAZARD!

J. M. Stovall said:
That could be just from dust burning on the tubes, that happened to me before. Just clean all the dust out and give it another try!
I wouldn't recommend that at all!!! Old radios have capacitors than can go bad. If you play them with bad capacitors, they can be a BIG fire hazard. A TV from 1949 must have the same kind of capacitors. I'd find a pro to look at it. And PLEASE don't yank the guts out! There are precious few TVs of that vintage around. There are lots of empty mahogany cabinets with their electronics pulled out. That old TV can be restored and used. It's a BEAUTY!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Our first TV

Here's why I hope you restore that TV. This is my little brother in 1951 on his rocking horse, looking like he REALLY needs glasses (which he eventually got) but showing our old Philco. I watched Howdy Doody, and Gabby Hayes, and Kukla Fran and Ollie on that old TV. Fond memories. Sort of spooky picture. Taken with the old 1938 Voigtlander (see the thread about camera collections.)
FirstTV.jpg

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
dherrman that's a great picture. I really doubt it will ever get gutted or fixed for that matter. It's been sitting like that in my place for years and years. It's mostly used as a great conversation starter when people come to visit.lol Someday I would like to find a person who can fix it for me but it's not something that I've been actively looking for.

I'm also way to chicken to ever plug the darn thing in againlol

Great new apartments killertomata and gluegungeisha!:eusa_clap Congrats!

If I can ever find my camera I need to take more pics of my new house, now that were moved in.

Mary, I am going for a look similar to yours in our den. I am going to paint the walls aqua and I won these lamps on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290144469242&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019
I am trying to find some barkcloth for drapes to coordinate with them. I have also ordered 2" aluminum blinds with tapes.
The window is huge and I can't decide if I need the drapes to go to the floor or not. How long are yours? My windows are about 7 1/2 feet tall so I would need even more if I were going to the floor.
I am going to start painting next week after my son starts kindergarten and won't be underfoot.:D

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Hi Cherry

My windows are about 5'x4'. My drape panels are about 6'x2 1/2'. My drapes don't go all the way to the floor because I have baseboard heat right below my window so they are about 5" shy of the floor. I'd really have to see a picture of your room for sure but I think you might be able to get away with not having drapes to the floor.

My drapes are vintage barkcloth but I have gotten some fabric from this place before http://www.jandofabrics.com/categories.asp?id=7
:eek:fftopic:
I'm using the 50s gray mambo barkcloth in the interior of my car and it looks really nice with turquoise. That fabric might work nice with your room?
537835924_396d099313_m.jpg

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
I wouldn't recommend that at all!!!

OK, we have it in writing, dhermann1 doesn't like dusting.;)

And in full disclosure, the tv that I tried that on myself was a 60's model with tubes. I am the first to admit I've never even seen inside the back of a tv from the 40's. Getting a professional would certainly be the best course.

MaryDeluxe said:
Hi Cherry

My windows are about 5'x4'. My drape panels are about 6'x2 1/2'. My drapes don't go all the way to the floor because I have baseboard heat right below my window so they are about 5" shy of the floor. I'd really have to see a picture of your room for sure but I think you might be able to get away with not having drapes to the floor.

My drapes are vintage barkcloth but I have gotten some fabric from this place before http://www.jandofabrics.com/categories.asp?id=7
:eek:fftopic:
I'm using the 50s gray mambo barkcloth in the interior of my car and it looks really nice with turquoise. That fabric might work nice with your room?
537835924_396d099313_m.jpg

I will take a pic as soon as my camera turns up.
Do you think the more atomic prints would coordinate with he tropical themed lamps? I really love this one:
http://www.jandofabrics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=bar00067

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
CherryRed said:
I will take a pic as soon as my camera turns up.
Do you think the more atomic prints would coordinate with he tropical themed lamps? I really love this one:
http://www.jandofabrics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=bar00067

Oh that's a cute fabric. I think that would go fine with your lamps. What else do you have going on in the room color wise? That barkcloth will work because it's a neutral color (tan) with accent colors in it that will work with the colors on your lamps. I'd be more worried about what type of fabric(Color and print) is on any furnishings that might be in the room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn