Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
We are moving from our apartment to a house this month! Although it is only a rental (we can't afford to buy since hubby is in college at the moment), the landlady gave us permission to do what we want with it.

It's an adorable 1951 Cape Cod with lots of great features. I'll post more pics after we're done painting, etc.!

house_rental.jpg

houserental.jpg

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
Your colors sound better. I wouldn't have chosen the beige, but then again I'm not redoing it either lol
They did the same thing on my bathroom floor.... sticky tiles :rolleyes:
I looked underneath and the original tiles are gone :(

Miss rue, what colors are yours? I only see the tiles that match my own.

Romy Overdorp

One of the Regulars
We are moving from our apartment to a house this month! Although it is only a rental (we can't afford to buy since hubby is in college at the moment), the landlady gave us permission to do what we want with it.

It's an adorable 1951 Cape Cod with lots of great features. I'll post more pics after we're done painting, etc.!

house_rental.jpg

houserental.jpg

Oh wow lovely!It has a lot of space next to it as well I see, very nice.
I also love the mailbox :D

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
This is my house from google street view. we have already made numerous changes since this pic was taken. It was built in 1955, it is a tract home in a cute college neighborhood with everything close by, i was just wondering what changes i can make to make it look a little more "vintage" or give more character (since everyother house on the block is the same layout) i want ours to stand out as well as look like "us".
cbk.jpg

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
AmatiesGal, I assume you know about this blog? The absolute ultimate info source for homes like that. She calls them Mid Century Modest. Enjoy! First and foremost, let us know if you have a pink bathroom!
http://retrorenovation.com/

I've been checking that site daily!:D:D:D

I'm super excited about the top floor - it will be my office/writing space. I'm going with a WW2 theme and it is ALLLLLLL mine. I've only had my own office space for a short time before my daughter was born 11 years ago, so needless to say, I'm pretty darn thrilled!

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I'll show some before and after pics when we get done!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
OH! No pink bathroom, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately since hubby is, as he likes to call himself, the most basic guy on the planet, and NOT into pink!).

rue

This is my house from google street view. we have already made numerous changes since this pic was taken. It was built in 1955, it is a tract home in a cute college neighborhood with everything close by, i was just wondering what changes i can make to make it look a little more "vintage" or give more character (since everyother house on the block is the same layout) i want ours to stand out as well as look like "us".
cbk.jpg

I think painting it retro 55' colors would bring it back to the period and definitely some flowers.
Cute house :)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
cbk.jpg

Don't rush into anything too radical. Spend some time getting to know the space. Find the nooks and crannies. Look at rooms from odd angles.
And look at RetroRenovation and other blogs to get ideas. Visualize things for a while, then put the idea away and revisit it later.
And let's see some shots of the interior!
Sweet house!

earl

A-List Customer
Among the many reasons I want to get married. I can have a pink bathroom without anybody raising an eyebrow to it!
There certainly are limits to my "retro-ness." When we bought our house nearly 15 years ago, it's bathroom came with pink tiled walls. If we could have afforded to re-tile, I can tell you those babies would have really been history.:D Earl

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately, my husband doesn't share my fondness for retro/vintage, but he does indulge me (smart man! lol). He does like Indiana Jones, though, and wants to take swing dancing lessons with me at some point, so that might be a start. ;)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Ok. Finally got the house done! We're renting a 1951 Cape Cod. Although I don't have the money to go all-out vintage (nor will my husband let me! haha), I went "vintage-inspired" in my kitchen and office. Here are some pics:

Kitchen.
house2031.jpg

Detail of vintage kitchen items...except for the clock and shelf, it's all from my local antique stores.
house2024.jpg

house2025.jpg

Vintage 1950s curtains, found on Etsy:
house2027.jpg

Office on second floor.
house2010.jpg

Reading Corner - the chair looks vintage, but has probably been reupholstered. It's in great condition!
house2019.jpg

Books. Picture of my grandparents before they were married. My grandmother also embroidered the doily the photo is sitting on. The curtains are vintage 1940s.
house2017.jpg

Vintage 1940s typewriter. Not sure what age the fan is...anyone know? Found this stereo cabinet for $35 at a local antique store, but not sure what age it is. That's my grandmother in the picture.
house2013.jpg

house2023.jpg

house2014.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran