Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
No, it isn't---especially on the exterior. You have to prime it with primer tinted to the color you want. You need to use quality paint to do it too. The cost would not be cheap. You can expect to use a grand just in paint for something that big.
:jaw:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Lucky for me, it is cold and snowing, so I am not even tempted by the house! There is no way I could live in a pink house, and it would be at least five months before I could paint it my self!

epr25

Practically Family
Yah, even with a ton of contrasting colors, I don't think even I am comfortable enough with my Man Hood to live in that one! :D A mother and daughter live in it, surprise. :doh: You should see the second house with the screen door closed, looks like a prison!

My husband chose our house color?
House.jpg

kampkatz

Practically Family
A lovely cottage, epr25, and the colors are quite common for that type of house here in the eastern part of the US. I can tell that your husband takes pride in having a neat exterior on your dwelling.

I drove past the house where I grew up today, and was disappointed with what I saw.
When we bought the house, in 1995, we quickly turned it around. It was falling apart when we bought it. The slate siding was falling off, the windows were mostly original and broken, the bathroom was sinking into the basement. The barn was missing half its boards, the pig shed was falling down, the granary was falling down, and the garage was falling down.

We came in, replaced the original cedar shake roof, repaired and painted the siding, painted the interior, pulled up the linoleum and refurbished the wood floors, gutted and remodeled the bathroom, gutted the summer kitchen and woodshed off the back of the house into a laundry room/family room.

We roofed and sided the barn, remodeled the main floor into a gun store/small engine shop. We fixed the garage and granary, bulldozed the pig shed, which was beyond repair, and did extensive landscaping including planting an orchard, evergreens along the property lines, and a hedge along the road.

The house went from being the mockery of the township to everyone wishing they would have bought it when it was for sale for next to nothing. Everyone wanted it bulldozed when we bought it.

Sadly,when I saw it today, everything is overgrown, not taken care of, and junk cars are laying all over. It's just saddening to see something that was such an effort by our family to accomplish just go all to Hell again. It really made me sad.

578290_10151503049299330_1891410769_n.jpg

kampkatz

Practically Family
AETom,
Obviously your family values quality. Too bad the folks who bought your house took no pride in their dwelling place. Sometimes there is a lot of truth in the saying "you can never go home again."

Thank you.

The story of the changing of hands since we sold the house is an odd one.

We sold our shop we had at the time to a fella, and shortly thereafter, the same fella bought our house from the people who bought it from us. Shortly after we moved out of town, he started befriending my dad's friends. I don't know if he wanted to be my dad, or what was going on, exactly. If he was, he should have taken better care of his buildings. The DPW in town has barricades around our old shop, because he demoed load-bearing walls and the building is collapsing. Sad end to a beautiful 1853 brick storefront.

I am actually sad that I even bothered to drive past. Seeing "home" the way it is now just makes me want to vomit.

AETom,
Obviously your family values quality. Too bad the folks who bought your house took no pride in their dwelling place. Sometimes there is a lot of truth in the saying "you can never go home again."

Thank you.

The story of the changing of hands since we sold the house is an odd one.

We sold our shop we had at the time to a fella, and shortly thereafter, the same fella bought our house from the people who bought it from us. Shortly after we moved out of town, he started befriending my dad's friends. I don't know if he wanted to be my dad, or what was going on, exactly. If he was, he should have taken better care of his buildings. The DPW in town has barricades around our old shop, because he demoed load-bearing walls and the building is collapsing. Sad end to a beautiful 1853 brick storefront.

I am actually sad that I even bothered to drive past. Seeing "home" the way it is now just makes me want to vomit.

Which I why I still own mine. p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Thank you.

Unfortunately, this is all to common! I have six houses, where the last owner took emasculate care of their yards, now the yards are a mess with the new owners. It is amazing how fast a yard can turn to weeds and then dirt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails