Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Darn. Any decent places to move away to there? :p

http://youtu.be/oPwrodxghrw

I grew up on a sliver of land between the Tug Hill Plateau and the Adirondack Park. Believe me, this IS the decent place to move.

Growing up we had 3 days when it didn't get above -35 and the windchill was supposedly around -50. You know how it hurts you to breathe when it gets really cold? When it gets that cold, the back of your eyeballs hurt. THE BACK part in your head. I grew up on a farm, I spent those three days running between the house and the barn trying not to fall in the snow. Thanks to my father's retelling of how my grandfather's school teacher died in a snowbank from hypothermia after delivering all the kids home on a "much warmer day" I was pretty sure the same fate was a distinct possibilty. it didn't help that everytime before I went out he reminded me "not lose any fingers or toes."

I grew up on a sliver of land between the Tug Hill Plateau and the Adirondack Park. Believe me, this IS the decent place to move.

Growing up we had 3 days when it didn't get above -35 and the windchill was supposedly around -50. You know how it hurts you to breathe when it gets really cold? When it gets that cold, the back of your eyeballs hurt. THE BACK part in your head. I grew up on a farm, I spent those three days running between the house and the barn trying not to fall in the snow. Thanks to my father's retelling of how my grandfather's school teacher died in a snowbank from hypothermia after delivering all the kids home on a "much warmer day" I was pretty sure the same fate was a distinct possibilty. it didn't help that everytime before I went out he reminded me "not lose any fingers or toes."

Man, that is COLD! :faint:

That only happened once, though. Snow on the ground at least to the end of April wasn't so uncommon. :( it snowed twice on my birthday as a kid (mothers day weekend) and I saw snow fall in early July one year.

But I am a sucker for a white Christmas, so in upstate NY I will stay.

I love to see a white Christmas.....on television. I'm more of a sucker for holidays spent in shirt sleeves.
I spent a winter living in Ukraine, and though I dealt with it, I still struggle to wrap my brain around just how civilization has flourished in places that are cold like that.

Pugs

New in Town
As a very occasional poster, our 1923 Dutch Colonial in western Baltimore County. The neighbor's house across the street is on the market for $225,000. She was born in that house, moved away and married and when widowed moved back. She is now in in assisted living and needs to sell. The house is essentially unchanged from 1923 complete with the original kitchen.

IMG_0399_zpsa60688e1.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love a house with "history."

As a very occasional poster, our 1923 Dutch Colonial in western Baltimore County. The neighbor's house across the street is on the market for $225,000. She was born in that house, moved away and married and when widowed moved back. She is now in in assisted living and needs to sell. The house is essentially unchanged from 1923 complete with the original kitchen.

IMG_0399_zpsa60688e1.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I got an interesting letter from the Office Of Archaeology And Historic Preservation the other day. Seems they are extending the Historic District boundary which will include my house. Kind of fun to be in that exclusive area.

That's cool, for sure!

However, it may mean more paperwork for you in the future if you want to do any outside work to the property. The Historic Districts in my area are crazy. :doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou