Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

Foofoogal

Banned
Picked up some unreal vintage knit and crochet patterns.
Such cute things back then. Little hats and purses to match.
I never knew that things crocheted could be so nice or even knitted items.

40'sfetish

Familiar Face
I did learn to knit many many years ago but as I do it so rarely it's like having to learn it all over again whenever I do. I'm just in awe of what you ladies manage to turn out.

Although recently I've been making these for use at home for washcloths and general cleaning, I've been knitting them in bamboo yarn which is really absorbent. But that's about as adventurous I've gotten in terms of knitting especially considering the cardigan I started 10 years ago is still sitting down the bottom of my sewing cabinet lol.

http://www.groupepp.com/dishbout/kpatterns/grfavorite.html

crwritt

One Too Many
I'm slated for jury duty next week, and they said to bring handwork. I don't often knit, but i know it will come back to me. Here's what I'm going to try.
90308ada.jpg

Then if that goes well, this
klw-bereta.jpg

crwritt

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Hi ladies. I Was wondering if you could help me out.

brother8.jpg

brother3.jpg

I picked up this Brother knitting machine at the thrift store yesterday for next to nothing. The manager said it came from an estate of a seamstress, and looks like all the parts are there (sans the manual which I have some online leads on). Im curious about it as I have NEVER knitted before, and Ive skimmed blogs online but they offer reviews more so than tutorials.

Has anyone ever used one of these puppies? This one dates from around the early 70s, and accessories are apparently 'hard' to find. Pishaw I say!

Thanks,
LD
:)

I realize post is a few months old, but I just saw it. A friend of mine had one of these, and she let me use it. I didn't bother with a pattern,and was not much of a hand knitter, but knit up
a couple yards of stockinette with the machine which I cut and sewed into a pullover. I wore it for years. The machine she had did not have a ribbing attachment, but she did manage to crank out some cute earflap hats for her kids.
My sister in law also had one, she was a more serious hobbyist and had the attachments for ribbing. etc. It made quick work of sweaters. She may have sold it or advanced to a more modern machine. I think if you talk with people
at a knitting specialty shop or find a knitting club somewhere, you can get some info on it, they were somewhat popular.

Amie

One of the Regulars
Here's the new crochet project I will be working on.

il_430xN.115009988.jpg

And here's a pretty crocheted 30s dress I found on etsy I'd like to share.

il_430xN.58722014.jpg

And a 40s crocheted dress.

il_430xN.123001311.jpg

il_430xN.123001135.jpg

Btw, do you ladies here trade patterns?

deco_darling

One of the Regulars
It's not exactly knitting but its close! I just started to embroider and I started with a monogram for my boyfriend. It's a bit messy in parts since its took me half the day! I am starting on a few art deco style ones this week! We'll see!!!!!

4769868003_d23a0a7b9e.jpg

crwritt

One Too Many
klw-bereta.jpg
[/QUOTE]
my version
35305_1151548205919_1744062716_288089_7702878_n.jpg

I did pretty well for not having knit in years. This is a fun beret to knit, it knits up really big then you felt it down to size.

BoPeep

Practically Family
Very nice, crwritt! Knitting (for me) isn't quite like riding a bike - it's takes me a bit to get all the stitches flowing again. lol I do like felting though. It gives the piece a bit more *umph* and holds it's shape longer. Maybe it's time to whip out those winter projects so they're ready to wear in 6 months!

crwritt

One Too Many
BoPeep said:
Very nice, crwritt! Knitting (for me) isn't quite like riding a bike - it's takes me a bit to get all the stitches flowing again. lol I do like felting though. It gives the piece a bit more *umph* and holds it's shape longer. Maybe it's time to whip out those winter projects so they're ready to wear in 6 months!

I'm so in favor of felting, it especially is good for hiding those minor inconsistencies!

Smuterella

One Too Many
A little cape I crocheted recently (photographed pre blocking) - just needs some pompoms. I'm thinking of making one in a white mohair for the festive season.

2010_07040018.jpg

pretty faythe

One Too Many
That's nice!
It's also my initials lol

deco_darling said:
It's not exactly knitting but its close! I just started to embroider and I started with a monogram for my boyfriend. It's a bit messy in parts since its took me half the day! I am starting on a few art deco style ones this week! We'll see!!!!!

4769868003_d23a0a7b9e.jpg

swinggal

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
A little cape I crocheted recently (photographed pre blocking) - just needs some pompoms. I'm thinking of making one in a white mohair for the festive season.

2010_07040018.jpg

Awesome!!! I soooo wish I could crochet. I would love to make all the 30s hats that I have pattern books for. Maybe I should go do a course and learn...hmmmm.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
crwritt said:
I realize post is a few months old, but I just saw it. A friend of mine had one of these, and she let me use it. I didn't bother with a pattern,and was not much of a hand knitter, but knit up
a couple yards of stockinette with the machine which I cut and sewed into a pullover. I wore it for years. The machine she had did not have a ribbing attachment, but she did manage to crank out some cute earflap hats for her kids.
My sister in law also had one, she was a more serious hobbyist and had the attachments for ribbing. etc. It made quick work of sweaters. She may have sold it or advanced to a more modern machine. I think if you talk with people
at a knitting specialty shop or find a knitting club somewhere, you can get some info on it, they were somewhat popular.

Thanks!

LD

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
I've just finished this lovely jumper from 'A Stitch in Time' by Jane Waller.
It has boxed shoulders, but you can't tell too well here. I'll take a photo of it on tomorrow.

P100803_235211.jpg

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Nice bit of knitting there Kate.
May I ask what wool you used? Always handy to know about other makes of yarns and their suitability! Oh and is it a 4ply!?
I love box/sock sleeve heads- the more the accentuated shoulder line the better!:D

unaspenser

New in Town
that's a beautiful sweater! I hadn't heard of A Stitch in Time, but I quite like the look of it. Can't wait to see a picture of it on.

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Miss Tuppence said:
Nice bit of knitting there Kate.
May I ask what wool you used? Always handy to know about other makes of yarns and their suitability! Oh and is it a 4ply!?
I love box/sock sleeve heads- the more the accentuated shoulder line the better!:D

Thank you very much! I used a Rowan 4-ply wool, I can't remember which one exactly, and my mum has thrown away the label. Probably the pure wool 4-ply or 4-ply soft.

I could probably do with knitting some shoulder pads, but here's my jumper as it is...

Photo+on+2010-08-04+at+11.44+%234.jpg

And the shoulder close-up:

Photo+on+2010-08-04+at+11.44+%232.jpg

Amie

One of the Regulars
Kate O Potato said:
Photo+on+2010-08-04+at+11.44+%234.jpg

And the shoulder close-up:

Photo+on+2010-08-04+at+11.44+%232.jpg

Kate, it is beautiful and I love the button detail. I'm so jealous of knitters as I only crochet. Anyways, I thought about purchasing the Stitch in time book, but I guess it's mostly geared towards knitters. I've wanted this pattern for a long time though:

TouchoftheMilitary_full_medium.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy