Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I got these 3 patterns from the same seller for £2.50 each. Bargain!

Butterick2516Pattern.jpg

McCallsSailorDressPattern.jpg

FullSkirtPattern.jpg

epr25

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic:

I thought that it was in this thread but I am not sure? Wasn't there someone on here that had the 1 hour 20's dress patterns up for sale on ebay or knew someone that did? If so please PM me so I could purchase a copy. Thanks!

epr25

Practically Family
So now that I have located the one hour dress info how hard are these? I need a 20's or 30's dress to match a cloche that came into the vintage clothing store that I work at. I have been watching ebay but I have a 38" hip measurement and I am thinking that unless something happens I am not going to be able to find a dress in the colors that I need or the size ect. I am totally will to attempt to make a dress but I just don;t know if I am getting in over my head?

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
In case anyone is interested in making hats, I found this manual online:

http://vintagesewing.info/1950s/52-hmh/hmh-toc.html

It's a hatmaking book from 1952--I found it in my desperate search on ANY information on making half hats and fascinators (my favorite style of hat).
I don't know anything about millinery at this point, but it seems to be a very comprehensive resource.

Enjoy :D

P.S. -- I just found out; chapters 100 through 120 are off by one. Sp if you click on the chapter for "casual ribbon hat", you'll actually get the material for the chapter preceding it. Took me a minute to figure that out :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yay patterns pt 1

Alright ladies, Ive scanned in that lot of antique patterns I won and there are some real finds in there! Most are Pictorial Review, form early 1900s to late 20s early 30s I believe. Im sure Lauren can give a better estimate.

The pics are a scoosh large, so you can see the writing (I hope).

**FYI if you 'quote' this post, try to select specific images so the page will load faster**

These are just a sample. All the images can be seen here.

The734front.jpg

This one had no maker on it so I called it 'The 734'.

PictorialReview8049front.jpg

Pictorial Review 8049

PictorialReview6046front.jpg

Pictorial Review 6046

PictorialReview4004front.jpg

Pictorial Review 4004 (I love the ad on the back of the package).

McCall3828front.jpg

The only McCall in the bunch. One of their 'new printed patterns'. Its printed in blue and so beautiful. Here is the crest on the pattern piece.

McCalPatterncrest.jpg

And lastly in my preview...

Butterick5750.jpg

A Butterick 5750 robe! Squeeee!!

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am totally making the McCall and the robe at least. :D

I want to copy all the patterns then put them a way, as the envelopes are very very brittle. Some of the patterns have writing all over them. Makes me wonder what the ladies were like when they made these. Some are factory fold as well. Im just amazed that they are in my size AND nearly/over 100 years old! HA. Hows that for the size myth! ;)

LD

ps: Lauren, do you have any info on this type of dress? Im not too knowledgeable on this era of clothing. Thanks!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
(picks herself up off the floor)

Wow Lady Day, I can't believe you found such old patterns in those sizes--size myth indeed! I espeicially love 5750 and, on the photobucket site, 6542 and photo #16.

Is there any way I could bribe you to make copies of a couple of those underwear patterns (5827 and 6797) sometime? PM me if so.

lyburnum

Practically Family
I got these two today for about £3 a piece.

sp4523.jpg

sp4010-1.jpg

They may need some sizing to fit me but they're not far off my measurements.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I just won these two from eBay
1afb_1.JPG

8b13_1.JPG

I have a bit of buyer's remorse about the second one. I don't think it will look good on me.

Blondie

Practically Family
If you don't like it KamiKat re-sell it when it arrives ! Am sure someone off the FL would buy it off you
If you made it out of a rayon or drapey fabric it would like great on you.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Lady Day, you're right on the dates! They date from the teens to the mid-20's. Very pretty patterns.
The dresses from the teens were mostly constructed over a base, so you'll often see two sets of bodice pieces. The bottom two were solely for construction, to hold the styling in place. Fastenings could be up the front, up the back, etc, with usually hooks and eyes, then the top layer would hook and snap on top to cover the under fastenings. A lot of time pieces were numbered with what matches what and where, since the instructions are nearly non-existent, and almost always had no illustrations save one of the garment completed. Most were perforated, except for McCall when they started printing and placing instructions actually ON the pattern pieces. If there was an instruction sheet it was often advertised on the cover... like Delineator (which I believe became Simplicity) had what was called the Deltor, which would be getting to be kind of what you'd expect for vintage pattern instructions, but maybe a little more vague. The pattern with the guimpe you have is pretty cool, because it would be constructed kind of like a dickey and put into gowns to have more coverage and make it appropriate for more daytime events. Combinations were corset cover and drawers in one, and was used instead of multiple undergarments over or under a corset. Usually the crotch was left open so you could use the restroom. There were too many fastenings and too many layers to take a dress on and off every time you had to use the loo ;)

Caroline

One of the Regulars
I just unpacked my sewing machine and found this pattern. I'm rather out of practice with sewing, so the dress is intimidating, frankly. I really love the envelope!

025.jpg

026.jpg

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
kamikat said:
8b13_1.JPG

I have a bit of buyer's remorse about the second one. I don't think it will look good on me.

If you end up really not liking this one, PM me and give me the details. I might be interested in buying it from you. :D

Joie

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Alright gals, lets get back to re-postin'!

As of now, I havent started any handling of these patterns. I hope to seen, but I need some new fabric first.

The rest of the patterns can be seen here.
Thanks ladies!

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy