Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Thanks ladies, I will do this, I have a bunch of muslin lying around. So you're never supposed to sew a test piece together, just baste it so well that you can try it on properly?

Idledame

Practically Family
Help! Does anyone have Hollywood 1036? I just bought this and it has all the pieces but no directions. I might be able to figure out the top, but I've never done a skirt like this. And then they don't even have the skirt sections labeled. If I knew for sure which was side and which was front, etc. It might be obvious once I sew it together.
r1fvaJBXhqmDy+lTX9fMVYxuH+vet-yx0300.jpg

I5rbEYgGEB1Z4Mz8VHj6-Lfd344XaGWW0300.jpg

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Idledame said:
Help! Does anyone have Hollywood 1036? I just bought this and it has all the pieces but no directions. I might be able to figure out the top, but I've never done a skirt like this. And then they don't even have the skirt sections labeled. If I knew for sure which was side and which was front, etc. It might be obvious once I sew it together.
r1fvaJBXhqmDy+lTX9fMVYxuH+vet-yx0300.jpg

I5rbEYgGEB1Z4Mz8VHj6-Lfd344XaGWW0300.jpg

I don't have it, but the skirt doesn't look too difficult. the pattern back says that it has a plain back panel and 2 pleats on the front on either side of the front panel. You can identify the side pieces as they will have little holes which indicate your pleat lines. Pleat the two pleats on each of the side pieces on these lines indicated by the holes in the pattern and sew to the front panel. Leave the left side seam (btw the front side piece and back side piece) open for your zipper.

You can identify which skirt pieces are which by comparing them to the pics on the back. It looks like they are displayed from top to bottom.... front, side front, side back, back. They will probably go in some usual alphabetic order too...like pieces f,g,h,i. both the front and back are likely cut out on the fold. Look on the side edges for notches that would indicate that.

HD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
dollydaydream said:
I sew mine with long machine stiches. I guess that's basting [huh]

Yes it is. :)

The longest straight stitch on your swing machine is a 'basting' stitch, as it is too wide for general construction.

LD

Idledame

Practically Family
Thank you Honey Doll. I'm sure you're right, it will be pretty obvious when I lay it all out. I'm going to try it, maybe next week. I think I just panicked for a moment without really thinking about all those little clues. Sorta like when my dad took the training wheels off my bike. It's so great having all of you for moral support and info.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I just got these two
I've been looking for this one for almost a year, since seeing it made up on a blog
8085_1.JPG

this one says it's a wrap style house dress. Ive been looking for a more casual everyday dress
4a8c_1.JPG

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Miss Sis said:
Deadpan Diva, I like how the playsuit is long to the knee and then REALLY wide!
That's what I like about it also.
4188.jpg

I got this mainley for the sailor collar.
c43e_1.JPG

I am so in love with this.
s4013-28.jpg

I think this will make the cutest winter skirt. The scalloped waist is my favorite.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Have any of you ever bought a pattern from the Vintage Pattern Lending Library on ebay? They have historical patterns that have been replicated? I've been thinking about trying to make a dress. I make quilts, but I have never tried to sew clothing. Anyway, just wondering if this would be too hard for a beginner. Thanks!
8ac4_1.jpg

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Tourbillion said:
^Yes it has a 50's vibe to it. I'd make sure that the skirt was below the knee, some modern patterns hit above the knee.

Cute pattern.

Thanks! I am going back and forth on it being 50s or 60s lol .. Oh yes, it has to below the knee, I completely agree!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
texasgirl said:
Have any of you ever bought a pattern from the Vintage Pattern Lending Library on ebay? They have historical patterns that have been replicated? I've been thinking about trying to make a dress. I make quilts, but I have never tried to sew clothing. Anyway, just wondering if this would be too hard for a beginner. Thanks!
8ac4_1.jpg

I've used their patterns, they are nice.

The late 20's early 30's can be complicated. That isn't the easiest era to sew.

That pattern isn't really bad, if you are used to piecing round items on quilts you'll be okay. If you have a problem joining curves in quilts it will be a bit of a challenge.

The main thing about that dress is that it is screaming for a difficult fabric. It would be great in a silk crepe de chine print. I just wouldn't look forward to narrow hemming that cape collar. The other items that could be troublesome to a beginner are the bias skirt and 2 piece collar cape. Other than that it is pretty easy. I'd try it, but try it in muslin first to practice. If you are using a silky fabric, then practice with them would help too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24