Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

texasgirl

One Too Many
Tourbillion said:
I've used their patterns, they are nice.

The late 20's early 30's can be complicated. That isn't the easiest era to sew.

That pattern isn't really bad, if you are used to piecing round items on quilts you'll be okay. If you have a problem joining curves in quilts it will be a bit of a challenge.

The main thing about that dress is that it is screaming for a difficult fabric. It would be great in a silk crepe de chine print. I just wouldn't look forward to narrow hemming that cape collar. The other items that could be troublesome to a beginner are the bias skirt and 2 piece collar cape. Other than that it is pretty easy. I'd try it, but try it in muslin first to practice. If you are using a silky fabric, then practice with them would help too.

Thanks so much for the insights! I think I may look for something easier to start with. Or buy the pattern and see if I can get it made. The lady who tailored my wedding dress was very interested in my reenacting, etc and said she'd be open to making me something. Just concerned about the cost, of course. Well, I'll keep thinking on it Thanks!

Inky

One Too Many
Advice Needed

2806205736_727e3d570d.jpg

2805354417_bd53c8cd3c_o.gif

I really love the look of these pinafore dresses. My great-grandmother helped me make one for myself around 1974 - I wish I still had it!

Now the question is - am I too old for it? I'm 48, but like to think I look a tad bit younger (humor me there!). Would I look a complete fool? Though my look is now more 50's/rockabilly, I am letting my hair grow and researching and sewing wartime/post war 40's styles for my style evolution ;)

Brutal honesty appreciated.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Inky,

I would look at your body type more so than your age. If yoou have the figure for such a dress go ahead! I cant wear dresses like that(the huge ruffles) because of my slighlty wider shoulders. There are some pretty styles for girls my age during the 40s but most dont suit my body type. Thats my two cents. Hope that helps!

Samantha

Inky

One Too Many
retrogirl1941 said:
Inky,

I would look at your body type more so than your age. If yoou have the figure for such a dress go ahead! I cant wear dresses like that(the huge ruffles) because of my slighlty wider shoulders. There are some pretty styles for girls my age during the 40s but most dont suit my body type. Thats my two cents. Hope that helps!

Samantha

Hi Samantha,

I'm not sure what the body type would be for that dress - what do you think works for it?

I don't have wide shoulders, my extra baggage is below the waist. I'm a modern size 12/14, 38DD.

There are a couple full body pictures of me here and here.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
For the pinafore dress, I'd be careful on fabric selection. This is not a good one to make out of that teddy bear print, or the pink floral calico. If you try to do something RaB with it, like a cherry print or a polka dot you might be okay.

I'd try to get a cotton with some drape too, since a stiff one could add weight. The ruffles wouldn't stick out as far, but that could be a positive.

Inky

One Too Many
Tourbillion said:
For the pinafore dress, I'd be careful on fabric selection. This is not a good one to make out of that teddy bear print, or the pink floral calico. If you try to do something RaB with it, like a cherry print or a polka dot you might be okay.

I'd try to get a cotton with some drape too, since a stiff one could add weight. The ruffles wouldn't stick out as far, but that could be a positive.

lol at teddy bear print!

Dots are my first thought, though I love cherries, but all the cherry fabric I find seems very stiff as it's really meant for quilting nowadays, I think. I may just go for a solid, no lace trim and definitely soft verses stiff cotton! I don't want a costume, just a fun dress to wear on weekends.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
I have made 4632, and it runs very true to size. It is a lot easier than it looks, too! And if you can, put some stiffening under the shoulder ruffles; it will make them stand up better.

Inky

One Too Many
TheSwingingBee said:
Have you all seen this link? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/main.jhtml?xml=/fashion/2008/08/31/st_vintageknitwear.xml

It's 5 free vintage patterns, 4 garments and one scarf. Super cute if you're a knitter, knit in a rather small gauge though, but they are too cute!

SwingingBee - thanks for that link!! not only are they cute, but they are multi-sized in some normal human dimensions!! I have soooo much yarn and that angora bolero is adorable.

i'm crocheting a snood right now, can't wait to try that on for size.

Thanks for that!

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I just got this one on ebay today- the first pattern I've bought in a long while! Ever since seeing The Women I've wanted a late 30s/early 40s outfit with a hood ( a hooded dress would be ideal, but not yet!) so I got this one today. Hopefully I can make it up for this winter, since winters here are not very cold:
b528_1_sbol.JPG

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lauren said:
I just got this one on ebay today- the first pattern I've bought in a long while! Ever since seeing The Women I've wanted a late 30s/early 40s outfit with a hood ( a hooded dress would be ideal, but not yet!)

I would like to see examples of vintage hooded dresses, I don't think I have seen any before and it sounds really cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany