Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I wish I had pictures! It was a fad from 1939-1940 to have things with hoods- evening gowns, day dresses, whatever. I think I might have a magazine with one and when I have more time I'll scan it in.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
MarieAnne

I've purchased a number of vintage and repro patterns on eBay. I'm still browsing and bidding but the competition is getting pretty fierce.
I only ever cut my patterns to the largest size available if I cut them at all. I always trace the pieces on 'pattern trace' but I am thinking of switching to muslin for fitting. In any case, I always make and use a copy of the pattern rather than the pattern sheet itself. I like to think the pattern trace will last longer, it will be easier to alter, and my original pattern will remain in good condition.
SO, anyways, I was wondering if anyone wanted to set up some kind of exchange for vintage patterns. I have a number of patterns that are in excellent condition and that are already traced/copied. I just need to photocopy the instructions. Or if you'd prefer, we can send each other copies? (That might be better actually) I will post some pics of my patterns in the near future. Let me know if any of you are interested.

olive bleu

One Too Many
That's beautiful Lauren, when i first saw the pattern, my first thought was that I thought i recalled seeing evening gowns with hoods, and then i saw your later post:) what kind of fabric are you thinking to use?

dakotanorth

Practically Family
MEN'S PATTERNS- yeah!

Good news guys!
I got an email from Evadress; she is working on a multi-size pattern of her men's pants from 1934. This means you don't have to buy the 30" pants and size them up! Thank you, I can't wait!!

Lauren

Olive Bleu, I'll probably do it in a plaid wool- I love the sporty hooded look! It might look nice in a wool or rayon crepe, too... ooh! With a contrast hood lining! I better not get too excited, I can't do it for a while ;)

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
I heart old patterns!

Howdy Hey! I just joined up yesterday and have been searching the boards! So glad to find a *pattern* thread....oooh patterns are becoming my passion. It is my addiction right now.

The latest one I am working on is this Simplicity from 1939:

simp3264.jpg

I am sooo excited! It *says* it is my size, so I am hoping I do not have to tweak it too terribly.
This is the first unprinted pattern I have ever used, so it will still be nice and challenging.

Those of you who have made these little ditties before----I plan on making the short-sleeve one out of a simple cotton similar to quilter's cotton--I want a flour-sack look. Do you recommend lining it in a muslin or something? I still want it to drape nicely and hold it's shape.
Lined? Underlined? Just wear a slip? Would love some suggestions.

So glad to be here!

Lauren

Yup, like LD says, just as is- the skirts have a great flow to them and with a lining that crisp it would not be the right shape. Most dresses then were unlined because of ecomomy- coming out of the depression and into WWII. Even evening dresses were not always lined- and some only in the bodice if the shape was structured.
Reproduction Fabrics has some nice cottons that are repros of the feed sack patterns- and I even see some at Joann from time to time!

Sunny

One Too Many
Lauren said:
I wish I had pictures! It was a fad from 1939-1940 to have things with hoods- evening gowns, day dresses, whatever. I think I might have a magazine with one and when I have more time I'll scan it in.
I saw one on ebay about six months ago; I think it was the Violetville Vintage seller. I didn't save pictures, but I remember it was dark green material, I think trimmed with brown, and had an arrow pin. Very Robin Hood. It was a long dress, so probably evening, with originally long, fairly open sleeves that someone had cut to 3/4 length. I think it was rayon, since I remember some fading. The front neckline was high, maybe a crisscross; the back may have been draped, or had something else besides just solid up to the hood. It was really different.

Lauren

How cool! I wish I had seen that! And it's funny that there's Robin Hood influences, because that was another wierd thing going on with fashion then... another thing on my "wish list" is a Robin Hood hat, or Tryolean! The crazy little hat with a shaped crown that goes up nearly like a peak and a wide-ish brim with a long feather. Here's a link to a thread on that from a while back.
You know, I just looked up Robin Hood in IMDB and there was one in 1938... coincidence? Hehe.
I'm :eek:fftopic: ... sorry, guys.
And thanks, Mackenzie, for the pattern link! Unfortunately it's not in the budget right now :(

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone else noticed an increase in eBay prices lately? I wonder if this is a general trend of just coincidence. If it's a general trend, I might be leaving eBay. Most of the retail sites sell them for only $5-10 more than I've been getting them on eBay and the extra money is worth the more relaxing buying experience.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Amen, sister. I am getting tired of sitting on the computer, adrenalized, counting down the minutes to bid at the last second to win my patterns! I've gotten up at 4am to do it! :) Maybe that's part of the fun.......not.

olive bleu

One Too Many
I find in general everything vintage has escalated in price.This year everything vintage is hot, hot, hot.I just received a flyer from my local fabric store the other day and they have collections of fabric sorted by names like"the garbo collection", the "Crawford Collection", etc. Also i just bought a new marcelle lipstick, they have their new fall collection all in "Vintage" containers.This is good and bad. so i am keeping my fingers crossed that by next year, the mainstream will have moved on to the '80's or something:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24